Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Diggers  (Read 7728 times)
raistlain

« on: November 26, 2015, 07:01:23 PM »

I have a black ada stainless mini trowel and a dagger sort of digger. But watching some video clips on you tube ive noticed that the majority are using long handled spade type things Huh? any recommendations on what type is best Huh i imagine they must save a lot of back ache too any advice appreciated....
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:06:41 PM »

black ada range is very good , dont buy a short trenching type shovel as you will get back ache ,

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »

A spade...any spade will do but preferably a border spade, a good spade will cost you just shy of £30 add the words "metal detecting" and you can add another £20, £30 or more Undecided Ask a gardener, road worker or grave digger what they use and they'll tell you "a spade" Grin Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »

If I might put my two penneth in here,I have found that a border spade purchased from WILCO at price well below a tenner is a BRILLIANT detecting spade,stainless steel,and a very,very strong stave,it will stand up to a  hell of a lot of abuse,I was lucky enough to get mine cut down into a shield shape and have a blade ground onto it,it cuts turf,roots etc like cutting through butter,
Why spend a lot when under a tenner is more than sufficient !!😁👍
Hope this helps!!

raistlain

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »

thanks kind sirs this is were forums are worth there weight in gold I'd never of thought of a standard spade !!!! thanks again
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »

Your welcome, that's what the Detecting Wales forum is all about,it helps us all👍
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:51:05 PM »

Here's my 2 spades.  Now a spare, kept in the boot, the Draper Mini and it's big Brother the Wilko stainless and customised border spade,

Border spade £13,  nice swivel soft plastic handle £3.50,  Johns labour priceless   Roll Eyes

* 004.JPG (171.46 KB, 700x1050 - viewed 585 times.)

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
marknewbury1

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 12:28:24 AM »

. If you're taller person long angled v head it's cuts

Better Wink
raistlain

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 12:40:23 AM »

thanks all i now have a better idea of what i need my little black ada looks positively puney now ha ha
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 06:43:41 AM »

In 2004 when I first started the hobby, I used a fold up army spade.

Then bought a stainless steel border spade for about £20 or thereabouts, got out an angle grinder and produced a point.

By buying a good quality spade I am still using it to date, in fact I was just looking at it because over the years of digging into stony ground has now rounded the point and it could do
with re pointing.

My spade has done an awful amount of digging over the years, and it has an orange handle too.

Buy quality, look after it and it will last you.  Wink

raistlain

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 10:33:15 PM »

Here's my 2 spades.  Now a spare, kept in the boot, the Draper Mini and it's big Brother the Wilko stainless and customised border spade,

Border spade £13,  nice swivel soft plastic handle £3.50,  Johns labour priceless   Roll Eyes

why do you prefer the wilko is it because its longer and is there much weight difference ?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 11:01:14 PM »

Wilkos' offer the best price for a half decent stainless spade.  The border spade is narrower than the ordinary full size one so, yes it's lighter. I'd say it's lighter than most of the custom bought detecting spades on the market as well.
Can't remember what the over-all length of my spade was but it was too long for me.  Hence my comment about Johns' labour.  He took off the wooden handle, cut the shaft down and re-fitted it with the one I bought.
You probably wouldn't have to go to that much trouble but you would want to get the head re-shaped and sharpened to cope with the rough grass, roots etc that we dig through.

raistlain

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »

Wilkos' offer the best price for a half decent stainless spade.  The border spade is narrower than the ordinary full size one so, yes it's lighter. I'd say it's lighter than most of the custom bought detecting spades on the market as well.
Can't remember what the over-all length of my spade was but it was too long for me.  Hence my comment about Johns' labour.  He took off the wooden handle, cut the shaft down and re-fitted it with the one I bought.
You probably wouldn't have to go to that much trouble but you would want to get the head re-shaped and sharpened to cope with the rough grass, roots etc that we dig through.

thanks i will get one this weekend
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 11:43:08 PM »

Well at least if you pick one up you'll get a good idea of weight and length and how it feels to you. Don't recommend one with a T handle though, they're more difficult to carry.

Good luck.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 01:16:06 PM »

For the last 6 years I've used one of these...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IOA9ZU4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AQPVMNNS97CC1
like Val's it's been shaped slightly to aid digging it's made of boron steel which makes it very, and I do mean very, light but strong enough to carry a 25 year guarantee (obviously if you grind it the guarantee is voided) unfortunately it's not considered gardening season by the shops so choice and price is a bit limited. Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal