Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what's under our feet  (Read 1621 times)
congerman
Superhero Member

« on: September 26, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »

I do 90% of my detecting on beaches but we have plenty inland permissions my machine is A sovereign elite I go of the different tones for depth +targets this machine as most will know nulls out some iron products my question is to the people who do more inland than me if the machine is set to ignore certain metals how do you know you're not walking over items or do you have no discrimination on your machines when hunting known roman+celtic + older  periods  venues as I have seen some very old items that look to be made of iron found with various machines that people say are great for discriminating out trash my thoughts are they must run their machines on all metal modes am I right in that  Huh
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »

For maximum efficiency "all metal" is the way to go on 99% of machines but most users who detect this way know the tones so still don't dig iron, this is one bug bear of archaeologists in that we only ever show half the picture.
It's a case of ignorance is bliss I'm afraid and what I mean by that is.........
http://www.timelineauctions.com/lot/iron-sword-with-pommel/17203/
 Undecided Cry
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »

Thanks for the reply very  much appreciated  Wink the link was an eye opener to what could be ignored  Shocked
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »

I have a Safari and always detect in 'all metal' setting and dig any signal that gives the slightest indication of anything other than iron.
I have found that the Safari will pick up even small objects quite close to iron that are missed by discriminating against it. Remember though that iron will give different signals depending on depth, size and degradation.
I have often thought about what I might miss but the reality is, it would be impossible to dig every iron signal and downright stupid to try in a heavily mineralised field. Boils down to 'you pays your money and takes your chance'  This is probably why so many beginners have good luck.....they dig everything.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
galoshers

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »

loads of hoards missed by the standard machine as theyre not deep enough .
i reckon 100s of hoards are being missed and walked over regularly

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal