Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A very good 5 hours  (Read 5700 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: August 23, 2012, 08:01:48 PM »

I got the nod last night that a field I have been itching to get on had now been harvested, having only beenable to have two short sessions on it last year, which netted 3 hammies.
So at 1100h sharp I was in the field machine in hand "Ahhhhhhh!" What is it with these farmers? they forget to tell you that OK it's been harvested but what about the straw?Huh??
To be fare half the field was clear and this is 6 older fields made in to one, and so it would take many many days even to cover half.
Right on with the finds......Second signal...Bang! a cut half short cross

Then came several coppers known and unknown, two of which were this quite good nick George III halfpenny

And a not so good nick Soho penny

Next came a bit of 50/50 with a 1945 sixpence

Then my only (token) Roman of the day, rosette type numus

It was now that I found a bit of scrap silver, the strange thing is I found another piece of the same item last year in very much the same place, now all I've got to do is find where I put it  Embarrassed

I thought I had found another Bristol Farthing when I saw the ship and the C but it turned out to be an unusual one for around here, it's a penny token from the City of Cork, Ireland. A long way from home but very welcome here.

It was by now time to call it a day so I started to make my way back to the car when "Hello hello hello" up popped another hammy this time a real head scratcher? It was obviously Scottish but what? So I needed someone with a bit of knowledge of coins to try and id it for me while in the field, well everyone I knew was busy, even my nephews 4 year old little girl couldn't take my call Undecided so I thought "what the hell, it's a long shot but" so I ran Pipster Grin Grin Grin Grin
He did a sterling job and got it spot on. It's a Thistle Merk of James VI (pre king of England) dated 1602. I have heard many times on DS about Merks but I have to admit I never knew what they were, so a very nice addition.

Other than a thimble my last signal of the day revealed a very nice condition 15thC dog head spout. So all in all a very good day and I shall be going back again and again and again Wink
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:32:59 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
shunggav

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »

well done mate .......... excellent finds ur on one at the mo

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »

a very nice day out mate , love the scottish hammie and the dog spout

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »

I like the spout lovely find in nice condition.
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »

Nice going Geoff
A first class report and a host of goodies to boot  Wink Not to sure about your 4 year old nice though  Grin Grin Grin Grin
I think that's the first merk I've seen a super coin, loving the dogs head spout ( What a stunner )
Can't wait to have my cast off so I can join you for a few hours   Wink Wink Wink

celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »

I got the nod last night that a field I have been itching to get on had now been harvested, having only beenable to have two short sessions on it last year, which netted 3 hammies.
So at 1100h sharp I was in the field machine in hand "Ahhhhhhh!" What is it with these farmers? they forget to tell you that OK it's been harvested but what about the straw?Huh??
To be fare half the field was clear and this is 6 older fields made in to one, and so it would take many many days even to cover half.
Right on with the finds......Second signal...Bang! a cut half short cross

Then came several coppers known and unknown, two of which were this quite good nick George III halfpenny

And a not so good nick Soho penny

Next came a bit of 50/50 with a 1945 sixpence

Then my only (token) Roman of the day, rosette type numus

It was now that I found a bit of scrap silver, the strange thing is I found another piece of the same item last year in very much the same place, now all I've got to do is find where I put it  Embarrassed

I thought I had found another Bristol Farthing when I saw the ship and the C but it turned out to be an unusual one for around here, it's a penny token from the City of Cork, Ireland. A long way from home but very welcome here.

It was by now time to call it a day so I started to make my way back to the car when "Hello hello hello" up popped another hammy this time a real head scratcher? It was obviously Scottish but what? So I needed someone with a bit of knowledge of coins to try and id it for me while in the field, well everyone I knew was busy, even my nephews 4 year old little girl couldn't take my call Undecided so I thought "what the hell, it's a long shot but" so I ran Pipster Grin Grin Grin Grin
He did a sterling job and got it spot on. It's a Thistle Merk of James VI (pre king of England) dated 1602. I have heard many times on DS about Merks but I have to admit I never knew what they were, so a very nice addition.

Other than a thimble my last signal of the day revealed a very nice condition 15thC dog head spout. So all in all a very good day and I shall be going back again and again and again Wink

Wow great day there Geoff Grin absolutly love the spout mate, more posts soon me thinks. Wink Going to give the coil a good try tomorrow as I couldnt get out today Sad
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »

Very nice Geoff

Your hammered count yesterday was 12 so it should now be 14

Yor allowed to count cut halfs as it was coinage  Grin

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »

wwwooooowwww welldone butty. bloody welldone.lol..cracking day..what else can i say.lol.

raymondoo.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »

well done young chef, great finds ..... you are catching up fast!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
blindchimp
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 11:06:32 PM »

Hi Chef

I have found a few bits of silver like that in the past, got told it was off the bottom of an old walking stick or cane, but who knows Smiley
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 06:39:48 AM »

Well done chef great finds brill write up and smashing pictures

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »

Very nice Geoff

Your hammered count yesterday was 12 so it should now be 14

Yor allowed to count cut halfs as it was coinage  Grin
I'de love to take advantage but no, I'm afraid it's only 13 Sad

Hi Chef

I have found a few bits of silver like that in the past, got told it was off the bottom of an old walking stick or cane, but who knows Smiley
Hi Blindchimp, Yes your right, most of the odd bit's of silver we find are walking stick inlays but this one seems to form a disc (or half disc)  of around 60mm Huh
herbie

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »

Fantastic finds there Chef, couple of my fields have finally been cut, so will be off out to see what I can find, but doubt I'll be having as good a haul as that, love the dog head spout, very nice condition Smiley

Same sh*t different hole!!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »

I have to say I'm struggling a bit to believe the spout dates from the 15thC as it's in such good condition Huh

* dogweb.jpg (153.23 KB, 390x600 - viewed 806 times.)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »

Well done Geoff - Love the Dog Head spout mate - a real cracker.

Am I correct in thinking that these were attached to skin drink bags as pouring spouts?

Love it - great condition

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal