Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy E-trac  (Read 4995 times)
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« on: November 13, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »

Like many others I was finding my E-trac so heavy and backbreaking after a days swinging  Sad I was thinking of trading her in for a lighter model .... But whilst out detecting with Chef Geoff I was telling him my plans of changing my machine. He told me to try lowering the arm cup ... "Hey Prestow" what a difference Its like a different machine   Shocked Shocked
So if your finding the E-trac a bit on the heavy side try this it worked for me ......... Thanks Geoff   Wink 

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »

WoW!!!  Shocked

This really does illustrate the power of the mind.  Cool

It will be interesting to see if the sales of harnesses drops significantly to scientifically back
up this theory.  Also, there should be a decline in second hand Minelabs!   Grin

I'm going to see if it works with my machine!!!!!!!!!!!  Wink  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »

Bob that is a really stupid reply to a post that may help people. The leverage point on the arm will effect which muscles take the strain, forearm or shoulder which in turn will effect how much strain is taken up by the back.
I think we would all agree that the Deus is a fantastically light machine and that the Etrac/Explorer has always been ridiculously heavy and should and could of been sorted out many years ago.
But for those who still have the latter then this may help, even the slightest adjustment to the length of the stem can effect the balance and therefore how much force is required to keep the coil at the right hight and angle. Roll Eyes
Plus of course some of us have seen the light and realised that a GMP with attitude and a TV remote strapped to it, still can't hold a candle to an Explorer Grin
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 01:21:54 PM »

Well stated Geoff.... Another vital setting is the exact length of shaft to suit ...

a) your particular height
and
b)To suit your individual swing and search method.

Also how far you hold the detector away from your body.

Cos everyone is different and you must get this right for YOU.
I am 65 + years old and use my explorer with an 15 X12 SEF Coil and cos i have
the balance right for me can search a good 8 hours a day without undue fatigue Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »

I was being sarcastic but there is a little bit of truth in what you say.

I started using the large coil on the Deus stem and thought it heavy. However, putting the
arm cup UP towards the top of the arm stem made a big difference.

For the shorter person, say 5'8" or less, the Deus stem isn't too bad with the large coil but
even though moving my arm cup made it better it didn't solve the problem, completely.

I have had to make up a straight stem with a long bottom stem.

I think XP should have put the mounting bolt on the large coil in the centre rather than
towards the back of the coil.

But, at least I can change channels with my 'tv remote'. That made me laugh!!!  Wink

ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 08:09:46 PM »

A technical question here. If weight is a problem for you. Can't a spare battery insert be wired with some kind of jackplug to enable you to mount the batteries on
a belt or something?

I actually bought my E-trac on Friday and used it for the all day event in East Cardiff and again today down St.Clears and I really
don't understand the supposed weight problem with this machine. When I went to buy it, I couldn't believe after all the write-up's just how light she was.
So perhaps this issue might be a physical configuration problem and not the machine.

Maybe some kind of organized testing with people of different heights and ages?
Perhaps E-trac owners meeting on a suitable day and trying different methods and setups. Just a thought.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 08:26:44 PM »

Mike, I like many others use the older Explorer XS which like the II and the SE are even heavier than the Etrac, now I personally don't have any problem whatsoever, but the gripe with all the FBS machines is that they are badly balanced and heavy in relation to other top flight machines and to add salt to the wound this situation has remained for 12 years and 5 different models without Minelab doing anything to improve it.
Minelab users have asked for all that time for some R&D into getting a more comfortable machine and some have done their own home mods which has proven it can be done.
So my view is that it is a machine you get used to, but could be improved.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

i cant see a weight issue here with the se or etrac it can be a weight to swing about  for some but as suggested it can be adjusted to suit you,,,, on a personnal note after 4 years using se and recently etrac its sill comftable,,,yep even after all day clinbing up and down the slopes at cardiff east rally Grin but then again i depend on being comftale with said machines as i only have 1 arm.......so  i think its  a case of  making it comftable Wink Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
JRD

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »

Oh bum wish I knew this trick before I sold my ETrack I tried everything to reduce the weight before selling for a lighter machine a T2 SE which I like but I also liked the ETrac apart from the weight issue.

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal