Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deeper Detectors and would you use them?  (Read 4091 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »

Most finds are in the top 8".

The heavier stuff like buckles will drop further but it can be hard work digging 18" holes all day.

I wish I could put these urban myths to rest once and for all.
"Most "finds" are in the first 8" " because that is where detectors work at their best, Most items are far below this and are out of current detector range. Nothing "drops" or "sinks" in the soil, worm action covers items, in fact larger items have a slower rate of decent. Items on the surface are covered at a rate of 2" every 10 years.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:19:21 PM by Chef (Geoff) » Logged
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »

Cheff, you are partly right.

I have read articles on this subject which basically says that an item will fall through the soil by natural means
at a rate of 12 inches over a thousand years and 24" over two thousand years.

I have found Roman coins inches under the grass on land that has never been ploughed.

It depends on the type of soil and subsoil.

I've found coins coins that have been dropped at between 1900-1945 that are only two to three inches down on parkland that obviously hasn't been ploughed!! I think this is all variable and dependent on factors.

On the other hand stuff is down at 18" on land that hasn't been turned over. It's an arguable subject.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »

Yes Rjm, there are parts of the Dorset and Wiltshire Down for instance that have a total soil depth of only 8-10 inches but these are rare.
Roman finds close to the surface are due to ploughing regardless of if the land appears to be pasture now. You have got to remember that 90% of farm land was under the plough until sheep farming intensified in the 18thC, just food for thought even Buckingham palace gardens were ploughed and planted with crops during the war as I expect were your parklands.
Also while on the subject of Parkland, pre 1940 it was routine to rotovate land every 10-15 years and start again.

The 2" rule of coverage is not mine it belongs to Mr Darwin.
zorro
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »

interesting question Geoff  Roll Eyes. I think most people would agree that it would be bad news for detecting in general with an even heavier salvo from the STOP campaigners.
personally i wouldn't buy one.
from a moral point of view , a financial one and most importantly for me a health point of view......my wife would kill me if i spent over £1500 on a detector  Cry
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 06:14:01 PM »

I have read articles on this subject which basically says that an item will fall through the soil by natural means
at a rate of 12 inches over a thousand years and 24" over two thousand years.

If you got a spare hour or so have a read of Charlies Darwins work on Soil depositation

http://www.webmesh.co.uk/darwinworms3.htm

Regards
Phil

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal