Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First reports on the new Safari in high mineralized soil  (Read 1777 times)
yankee
« on: March 25, 2009, 02:25:52 PM »

Reports are starting to come in here in the U.S. on the new Safari! this report is from a Rally here on a Civil War sight. Looks like the Safari works well in highly mineralized soil. This rally sight has real bad soil conditions! It is known as the Iron dirt sight! Here is the report on the finds! This was a great event, about 400 diggers spending three days at Hansborough Ridge in Culpeper, VA. On the ridge itself was a 2nd Corps Camp, lines of huts that produced some amazing relics. The adjacent cornfield was the starting place for the battle of Brandy Station. We found a spot where they must have exchanged coats for new ones and dug a bunch of buttons, in all states from just a back to a decent complete button. Our group of eight diggers recovered...

a US Boxplate
more than 50 eagles
about a dozen NY buttons
more than 100 dropped bullets
a pewter candle holder
a small trigger assembly and stock screw
an enfield wiper/worm

All in all the hunt produced...

more than 1000 dropped bullets including three Gardiner explosives
more than 1000 shot bullets from a large firing range
about 20 boxplates
a Federal Sword belt plate
a tongue from a VA two piece buckle
a couple of VA buttons and 1 VMI button
a leather coin purse filled with silver coins
about 100 intact bottles (everything from case gins and medical bottles to mustard and wine bottles)
a saber handguard assembly
a piece of a saber scabbard
a hotchkiss shell
and about two tons of iron debris

I hope I too will have luck with my new Safari! This report wasent written by me I havent had a chance to realy use my Safari due to winter conditions.   "  The safari worked well in the highly mineralized VA soil and I was able to find relics from 2 inches to a little more than a foot deep. I started out in all metal mode, auto sens, threshold one notch above audible, but changed after about two hours to relic mode, auto sens, threshold at lowest audible setting and started finding relics. One part of the field was less mineralized than the rest and I ended up with four cuff buttons (an eagle, a NY, a crushed eagle and a button back), six bullets (all dropped) and an Enfield wiper/puller. Not a bad yield for this location. The Safari performed as well as the relic hunters' favorites (White's MXT and Fisher F75) and was only beat by the new, and extremely expensive, pulse machines like the White's TDI.

One thing that I did notice was that a curved piece of iron (bent nail, semicircular fastener, etc.) read exactly like a bullet.

All in all I am extremely satisfied with the Safari and very glad that I stepped up from my Xterra-50."

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:43:02 PM by yankee » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal