Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammerd Coins From The Beach  (Read 5913 times)
ORDOVIC
Rally attendee

DFX & MXT user

« on: March 25, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »

Have any of the members found any Hammerd coins while beach detecting?

The reason I ask this is because 90% of Georgian and Victorian coinage I have found have been that worn through errosion or electrolosis and some are wafer thin,so I imagine that a Hammerd coin being thin anyway would have little chance of surviveing.

The only time I believe these coins could survive is if they have been in a hard pack of clay.

I will be looking forward to any reply.

ORDOVIC.

Dig it all !.......Explain to the wife where you been later.
zorro
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 08:00:06 PM »

not necessarily hard packed clay ordovic, you need to be looking in the mud. I know a guy whos found loads of hammered that had  been lost in mud! they come out the day they were lost partly because hammered were made from silver (no ferrous) and partly because the mud preserves them. search old maps for possible ferry crossings of rivers. horse drawn ferries crossed rivers all hours of the day and night ie. when the tide permitted. by the light of a lantern on a cold wet windy night it would be easy for a crossing keeper to miss a hammered coin dropped by a customer. a thinish layer of mud on top of a clay bed would be perfect ( the clay would stop the coin going too deep).
now you know the "secret" you have to promise to place a photo of any coins found in the gallery.
onehorseAl( Al)

FID,Explorer !! & Deus User

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »

Yes Ordovic,I have found one hammered coin on a beach,a Henry v11 groat which was in excellent nick.Having said beach,its now beach ,.but was once a forest,remains of petrefied trees still visible on very low tides..
Al

Let the world go away 'cos I'm Bleeping today.
hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:12:41 AM »

I have been present when someone has found a few hammered on the beach (shipwreck coins), they were as minted except if you held them up to the light there were pinholes in them. The salt tends to work on any impurities in the coins and if it ain't good silver then it eats away the poor quality stuff.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »

yeah,  i found one a few years ago on a beach like Al was discribing,  could be the same beach,
 tis  a lizzie sixpence 1567, nibbled away one the sides though

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal