Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Stonehenge rocks definitely came from Wales, but how?  (Read 6744 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: February 23, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »

Courtesy of BBC News online

New research has cast fresh doubt on the journey which the Stonehenge Bluestones took from Pembrokeshire to the site of the pagan monument. Since the 1920s, geologists have strongly suspected that the 'spotted dolerite' Bluestones, which form Stonehenge's inner ring, originated from Mynydd Preseli in the north of the county.

However, whilst the new findings have also linked a second type of stone - rhyolites - to the area, they call into question how the stones arrived in Wiltshire.

Matching up the rock from Stonehenge with a rock outcrop in Pembrokeshire has been a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack” Perceived wisdom had it that Stone Age man transported the giant slabs via raft, up the Bristol Channel and River Avon.

But as Pont Saeson, the location of the new match, is to the north of the Preselis, some believe its unlikely that they would have been able to navigate the terrain in order to get the enormous rocks to the coast.

An alternative theory was that nature drove the stone to Stonehenge, in the path of an Ice Age glacier, although the absence of any other Welsh rock in the region seemed to have ruled out the possibility.

Yet Dr Richard Bevins, a geology expert from the museum which collaborated in the research by Aberystwyth and Sheffield Universities, believes it may now be time to revisit the idea.

"If humans were responsible then an alternative route might need to be considered. However, if, as some believe, the stones were transported by the actions of glacier sheets during the last glaciation, the Pont Saeson discovery will need appraising in the context of this hypothesis."

"It's a further step towards revealing why these mysterious stones were so special to the people of the Neolithi
 "Matching up the rock from Stonehenge with a rock outcrop in Pembrokeshire has been a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I've looked at many if not most outcrops in the Mynydd Preseli area.

"We are however, confident that we have found the source of one of the rhyolites from Stonehenge because we've been able to make the match on a range of features not just a single characteristic. Now we are looking for the sources of the other Stonehenge volcanic and sandstone rocks".

Dr Bevins' team are able to say so categorically that they've discovered the source of the rhyolites, thanks to a range of laser mass spectrometry techniques, which analyse both the chemical composition of the rock and the micro-biology present when it was formed.

The combination of the two provides an almost unique signature for rocks only found in the Pont Saeson area.

But the new match does explain the absence of any other Welsh Bluestone in the Stonehenge area, if indeed glaciation was responsible for carrying them there.

Prof Mike Parker Pearson, from Sheffield University, called it "a hugely significant discovery which will fascinate everyone interested in Stonehenge".

"It forces us to re-think the route taken by the Bluestones to Stonehenge and opens up the possibility of finding many of the quarries from which they came.

"It's a further step towards revealing why these mysterious stones were so special to the people of the Neolithic."

* _51379115_005930112-1.jpg (19.61 KB, 464x261 - viewed 351 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »

Has to be the Knights of the road Neil.  Grin Cracking read though fella. Thanks for posting.

* 21_47_3---Eddie-Stobart-Truck_web.jpg (60.7 KB, 600x400 - viewed 372 times.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:23:20 AM by Waltonbasinman ( paul ) » Logged
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »

oh come on everyone knows that they were flown there by dragons  Roll Eyes

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
tyna

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »

Could have been aliens?  Read Book of Ezekiel  Huh
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:21:30 PM »

your right tyna Shocked

gold = loads lol
tyna

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »

When you can tear yourself away from detecting for a few hours Mike get yourself reading Von Daniken - he's been beaten down but I think he has something   Huh
Solas The Scot
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 06:09:32 PM »

Eric Von Daniken !  Roll Eyes
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »

i have seen 9 ufo's in 2 years.one followed me slowly up aberavon beach last october at 2am.very strange but true Shocked

gold = loads lol
tyna

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 07:49:43 PM »

Eric Von Daniken !  Roll Eyes

Know all  Smiley
tyna

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:54:14 PM »

i have seen 9 ufo's in 2 years.one followed me slowly up aberavon beach last october at 2am.very strange but true Shocked

Wow cool - nothing exciting happens to me  Cry

I want to go exploring on the Starship Enterprise   Undecided
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »

weird i was always being told off in school for day dreaming and looking at the sky lol. been looking for ufo's for years with no luck then see 9 in two years when not expecting them a bit like beach detecting for rings lol.all or nothing

gold = loads lol
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 10:14:44 AM »

watch out for those probes mike Cheesy

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »

my pyles are screamin just thinking about that ,not so bad bein probed ,its the love bite on my but cheeck got me freaked out Shocked next time i get abducted i'm goin to be the one doin the probing  Wink
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:27:08 AM by dances with badgers » Logged

gold = loads lol
tyna

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »

Grin

Well now I'm asking - what were your experiences with ufo's???  The one following you at Aberavon wasn't your shadow was it Huh
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »

it was the glow from all the gold in my pocket lol

gold = loads lol

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal