Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: thoughts on the Deus  (Read 8441 times)
jondav

« on: February 19, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »

The Deus certainly looks like a lightweight sleek machine,but I  would be a bit dubious about the pretty designer headset,great on a sunny rainfree day,what if it rains? do you stick a plastic bag over your head,the control module looks like something I change channels with on my t.v..All in all its one hell of a price to pay for a remote control, and some fancy headphones
wayno

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »

Went on rally last week to chepstow few people using the Deus had no problem with the rain as far as could see

2014 using ctx3030  TIMES OUT -12
Hammered --6
Gold rings --3
 Other rings 1                   
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »

I'd stick with your machine if I were you. Don't go paying fancy prices.

You don't need a tv remote control and pretty designer headset  Wink

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:40 PM »

I think like all land machines they are shower proof and if you use common sense there should be no problem. I believe XP are bringing out a full ear cup version of the headphones in the near future.
I agree with you Jon the price is ridiculous, but there again so is that of the Etrac, SE, V3,T2 or F75, none of them cost any more than £200 to make but they are the only people who make them and call the shots. You can't blame them as we are stupid enough to pay the price.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »

They probably do cost about £200 for XP to make. But the Deus was 6 years in R & D. With staff wages, premises costs, and all the other costs you can think of, plus taxes, shipping, etc etc etc., if we want progress we are going to
have to pay several times the cost of production.

They're never going to do it to break even.

As you've said before, detector technology hasn't really progressed a great deal over the last 20 years or so.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »

Bob don't fool yourself, I used to say the same about the minelabs but after talking to a tech in Bristol Uni, I soon realised that it had all been done before.
Every bit of the Deus has been used before in one form or another, it just took XP to think outside the box and put it all together in one package. XP's overheads, until recently were probably one of the lowest around as they were almost a one man band, and that I believe is what has made their machines such as the Goldy and GMP so good.
Minelab and Whites are many times bigger and richer with some of the top designers in the detecting world in their pay and I'm sure they could of come out with something the same years ago, BUT, they like getting the money but not spending it.
As many have said before, whether you like the Deus or not, the good thing is that it will wake up the other manufacturers to what we the detectorists really want.
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »

it looks like the starship enterprise,they look very flimsy and too expensive for most people,and people loose the control panel and to replace cost about £500+.for the price of the machine you`d think they would of made them strong and rigid just my opinion

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »

thoughts on the Deus???,like any other machine it has its faults,to fiddly[with numerous buttons to play with,several parts,worry over weather conditions,as lets face it the Deus is electrical more than most, Grin,[to light]liteness is good but ive i believe the Deus finds it hard on fresh stubble and of course the price  Shocked lots of wonger ,would you sell your grandma to buy it Roll Eyes Grin ,what with the original cost and the extra price of coil and the worry of it dispearing in a puff of smoke in the middle of a tyhpoon [ i woud think about it Grin,,,we have many different users on here and we pays the money and takes the choice,no such thing as a perfect machine,Deus is great,so is e trac,goldmax,mxt,garret e.t.c,,,,,,,,viking[sorry Grin] untill you master any new machine your going to have a learning curve.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »

Detectors prices relate to the economy of scale - the more you make the cheaper it is to make. Because no detectors are truly mass produced, like your laptop is, the manufacturers and retailers need a bigger profit margin to stay in business and cover costs, such as advertising.

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 11:09:43 PM »

Obvioulsy the technology has to be available but as you say, it was XP that put it together.

The Deus does look flimsy but in reality, in my opinion, is anything but! The control box can be placed and operated in a waterproof I-pod bag (which I use on the beach), and the headphones are great in summer and when it pours down you either put your hood up or pull down you hat!

I have had the Deus 11 months and use it 3 to 5 times a week and take it apart each time. I've never had any breakages or problems.

As to performance, it's the best machine by a long way I have used in over 20 years....and I've had a few.

Machines are all down to personal preference. If your Minelab or Garrett or Whites is doing it for you then stick
with that machine. A lot is down to getting to know your machine.

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 03:50:23 AM »

i want a detecter that can distinguish ring pulls from gold rings lol

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
nomad

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 05:15:37 AM »

the biggest plus for the Deus is the wieght..being a ilght machine those of us that get bad backs towards the end of the day...it is well worth looking at...
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 07:48:10 AM »

the biggest plus for the Deus is the wieght..being a ilght machine those of us that get bad backs towards the end of the day...it is well worth looking at...

It's good at the start as well !  Grin

jondav

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »

I think like all land machines they are shower proof and if you use common sense there should be no problem. I believe XP are bringing out a full ear cup version of the headphones in the near future.
I agree with you Jon the price is ridiculous, but there again so is that of the Etrac, SE, V3,T2 or F75, none of them cost any more than £200 to make but they are the only people who make them and call the shots. You can't blame them as we are stupid enough to pay the price.
    Cant fault your logic there Geoff, detecting being a relitvely marginal hobby means the prices we pay for the latest technology is much more than ,say, a new all singing dancing  laptop, which is mass produced,and a few hundred quid in argos
jondav

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »

Obvioulsy the technology has to be available but as you say, it was XP that put it together.

The Deus does look flimsy but in reality, in my opinion, is anything but! The control box can be placed and operated in a waterproof I-pod bag (which I use on the beach), and the headphones are great in summer and when it pours down you either put your hood up or pull down you hat!

I have had the Deus 11 months and use it 3 to 5 times a week and take it apart each time. I've never had any breakages or problems.

As to performance, it's the best machine by a long way I have used in over 20 years....and I've had a few.

Machines are all down to personal preference. If your Minelab or Garrett or Whites is doing it for you then stick
with that machine. A lot is down to getting to know your machine.

I have to say RJM that makes sense, I,VE used expensive machines ,like the Whites spectrum ,could never get on with it ,and the c- scope 1220b ,this was a marvel wish I,d never sold it,the later versions were inferior

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal