Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Tale of one of my forebears...  (Read 8286 times)
proconsul
Proconsul

« on: March 25, 2009, 03:51:16 PM »

Through my grandmother I am decended from the Wanklin family of Gladestry in Radnorshire (now Powys). The hereditary occupation of The Wanklins was blacksmithing and innkeeping. There seems to have been very few Wanklin families in the UK and throughout most of recorded history in the southwest of the UK the Wanklin family have been confined to a few square miles straddling the Herefordshire/Radnorshire border.

During my researches into the Wanklins one name kept popping up, that of Colonel Thomas Wanklin. All the evidence points to the fact that I am related to the colonel, however it will take some more research to establish whether I am directly descended from him. Anyway this is his story...

Thomas Wanklin started off as a blacksmith early in the seventeenth century. At some stage he journeyed to Wiltshire to take up employment on the estate of the Earl of Marlborough. He gained the favour of the Earl (or more likely the Countess)
and rose to become the Earl's steward (a pretty exalted position in those days).

Upon the outbreak of the Civil War Thomas joined the royalist forces and served as major in the foot regiment of Sir Edward Seymour. He rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel and was present at the siege of Dartmouth. He was captured by the parliamentary forces when Dartmouth fell.

Sometime after the Earl of Marlborough died in 1638, in a rather surprising move, Thomas married his widow, the Countess of Marlborough and was granted the Manor of Westbury to hold for life.

After the end of the Civil War Thomas's Westbury estate was confiscated by Parliament and he had to pay a large fine to get it back.

When Charles II was restored to the throne Colonel Thomas was elected to parliament for Westbury and joined the King's party. He became a junior minister in the restoration government, being one of the Commissioners for the Excise in Ireland. He served on various parliamentary committees alongside such luminaries as Samuel Pepys.

In 1670 Thomas's wife, the Countess of Marlborough died. Since, on her death, Thomas would lose the income from her estates he concealed her death and buried her surrepticiously under a board in a turnip patch. She remained there for a few months until she was reburied in Westbury church. Colonel Thomas gave the church a large silver cup called 'The Westbury Cup' at this time. Presumably to smooth things over with the vicar and get his cooperation with the reburial.

In 1677 Thomas was involved in a parliamentary scandal. After the civil war members of parliament and their servants were immune from prosecution for any reason by the courts. Some members of parliament cashed in on this by offering protection to people who were being prosecuted by claiming that they were the MP's servant and therefore could not be sued for any reason. Thomas was caught doing this when he got involved in a case of divorce, offering protection to the husband from prosecution by the wife.

This all came out in parliament and after a debate and a division which the Colonel narrowly lost he was expelled from parliament. This was not neccessarily the end of his political career. Expulsion from parliament was quite common and some members had been expelled two or three times. However Colonel Thomas does not seem to have made a comeback and was last heard of receiving a pension of a thousand pounds a year from Danby, the King's chief minister.

It's nice to find a colourful historical character like Colonel Thomas Wanklin amongst your relatives and adds a bit of extra interest to family history research.

Geoff
Charles Cater

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:11:04 PM »

Tom was a real old codger even in those days but I don't think they are bad as this lot, Geoff.
It was very interesting and I can only go back as far as about 1792 and no skeletons in the upboard as far as I know?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:13:39 PM by Charles Cater » Logged

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:31:33 PM »

Small world Geoff. I live in Gladestry and my child is at school here. For such a quiet backwater there had to be a chink in its armour and there is a local saying hes done a Wanklin on her.  Meaning he,s two timing. Now i know what it means and a interesting story to boot.  Won,t bring the missus on saturday though. Tee Hee.  Grin
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »

It certainly is a small world, Paul. There was, I believe the odd black sheep in the Wanklin family as in any other family. Your saying is certainly interesting, though. The Wanklins ran the old forge and the White Hart Inn which I believe is a private house now. I've never been to Gladestry but you never know I might get there one day...

Geoff
Merlin
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »

Geoff, great story,it ought to written as a book.I love the whole idea of people telling the story of thier families.I used to work with a Wanklin,from Newbridge way I believe?
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:56:12 PM »

Quite possible, Merlin, the Wanklins became a bit more widespread after the early 19th century.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:18:35 PM »

Geoff i will take a picture tomorrow of the pub and the forge and post them for you. OK
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 05:42:29 AM »

One of my distant ancestors who surname was davies married a sheen they called one of thier children dansy this to me is quite an unusual christian name appaently it,s of Irish origin I did a quick piece of research and found some in the history of radnor called Dansy sheen moving forward in time slightly I have found a dansy jones who was a stone mason by trade living in the brecon area this dansy used to drink whiskey in which he put a mixture of herbs these drink amongst family and friends so much so that he ended up manufacturing it in his own pub in brecon we know this drink today as Dansy Jones whisky liqueur it is now distilled under liecence in the Abergavenny area the owners of the recipe live on a farm below Blaenavon Dansy Jones also one of the main sponsors of the royal welsh show I suspect some members of the davies clan ing my family were responsible for starting the royal welsh show please excuse the print errors thi keyboard is rubbish and I,m printing this in the dark Huh thank you for bearing with me Smiley regards Mole

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
waltonbasinman
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 04:10:39 PM »

Here we are Geoff the building on the right towards the back is the old white hart small building to its left is the forge and the half stone half brick building is the old stables.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »

Another cracking little piece of times gone by.I love these.  Smiley
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »

It's very kind of you to upload the picture. It's funny being able to see where your ancestors lived a couple of hundered years ago. They only rented the White Hart. It was actually owned by James Watt, the 'inventor' of the steam engine.

Geoff
waltonbasinman
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »

That is ok Geoff. Here is a picture of the village. The Hart is situated next to the church behind the black and white house by the church.
hedgehog
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 12:25:49 PM »

Pre anglo saxon living near a by road according to this

http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Wanklin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal