Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: One of my folks  (Read 6669 times)
Merlin
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »

I`d like to tell you about my  3xgreat grandfather,nothing remarkable about him maybe,but someone I`m still quite proud of none the less.
   Michael Danaher was born about 1828 in a place called Croom in Limerick Irealand.At the age of 17 years and 6 months    he enlisted in the army at Ennis again in Ireland on 19th June 1844.
   He joined the 88 Foot of the Connaught Rangers nicknamed  “The Devils Own” and for good reason, the Scotish Colonel Alexander Wallace called them” a tough crowd from the bogs of western Ireland.
   From Ireland Michael served in Scotland and then back in Ireland,from there he volunteered to go to Malta.He stayed in Malta for 13 months,after which he headed for the West Indies for  3 years and 4 months.Next stop for Michael was North America and Halifax Nova Scotia,while in Canada he also served in the Royal Canadian Police.He stayed there for 13 months before returning to England.
   He was stationed at the Chatam Barracks in Kent and then moved around the United Kingdom, Isle of Wright,Portsmouth, back to Chatham,then Stockport and onto Liverpoool.
   In 1854 Michael sailed from the port of Liverpool to Turkey and the Crimea War.He landed in Turkey on the 18th June 1854.
   During his 11 months fighting in the Crimea War,he was put to work helping first a surgeon and then a doctor.These duties I believe may have help saved his life.Michael saw action in  3 battles during the Crimea War,Alma,Inkerman and both battles on the fort at Redan.It was during the 2nd battle at Redan that Michael was wounded.
   Michael suffered grapeshot wounds to his left arm causing the ampution near his shoulder joint,he was also shot in his right leg.I believe perhaps the doctor/surgeon may have worked just a little bit harder to save his life because Michael worked alongside him.
   Michael was sent to the hospital,and could even been attended by Florence Nightingale[I like to think he was] from there he was discharged by to Britain.At the docks in Chatam he and aonther wounded were met by Queen Victoria.
   Michael was admitted to a Chelsea Pension on Tuesday 29th January 1856 and was adwarded a permanent pension of  1 shilling a day and was shown receiving his pension first in Wales in 1856 and then in Gloucester until 1875.
   On his discharge from the army Michael is described as 29 years of age,5 feet 7 inches tall with sandy hair ,brown eyes and a sandy complexion.
   He spend the rest of his working life in the docks at Newport.He died in 1897 and was buried on Wednesday  7th July at 4.00pm.
   It is no doubt that Michael would stayed in the army for the rest of his life had he not been injured.I wonder what he would have made of his grandson who deserted from the army...? But that’s another story.      
DATA311(Alan)

THE BREAM MACHINE F.I.D.

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:40:21 AM »

Nice story merlin, thats what family history is all about.  Wink

Nil illegitimi Carborundum
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »

Great little story, Merlin. War is a terrible thing and right up to today, a lot of men and women had no qualms about enlisting . Brave people.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »

Good story fella, apparently one of my relatives is William Bonny....A.k.a Billy the Kid. Also smugglers, pirates and murderers way back. hmmmmmmmmmm. Huh

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Merlin
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »

Funny thing families,you don`t know what`s there until you look.Hope some other folks put a few tales up,mind you I`ve got plenty!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:40:05 AM by Merlin » Logged
zorro
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »

thanks for sharing that story with us mate
hedgehog
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:43:42 PM »

Nice story something to be proud of , thanks for sharing it
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »

nice story,you must be proud and well done with the research must have spent some time on it,thanks for shareing it viv
Charles Cater

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 04:13:01 PM »

Good story fella, apparently one of my relatives is William Bonny....A.k.a Billy the Kid. Also smugglers, pirates and murderers way back. hmmmmmmmmmm. Huh

That figures !!!!!  Grin

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal