Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales Rally Number 26 - The Rally of the Rings!  (Read 19919 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: February 13, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »

After 25 glorious sun filled Detectingwales rallies, we were bound to hit the wet weather eventually, and today was that day!

A bright and early start for all of us in Chepstow saw about 50 DW regulars brave the elements. Following the usual go here and go there with a great overview by WBM and a few prizes from Rob and his glamorous assistant - Napoleon, we were off!

Wet pasture was the order of the day on a farm surrounded by Roman, Saxon and Medieval history. The first find of note I heard of belonged to Barney and was a modern ring with an unusal stamp/hallmark that requires more investigation.

The next find of note came from the front pasture and belonged to 16.5DD - otherwise known as Richard, and was a little hammered Edward penny. Rich was happy as always (if not a tad soggy} and remarked that he's on a 100% record on the hammered front this year!

He was accompanied by Melonhead who for the second rally running had a find in his hand of outstanding quality! That being a 22ct gold ladys posy ring with the inscription as crisp as the day it was lost. A beauty of a find and well deserved once again. I got a feeling Mark will be running away with the voting for the second week running! He was also sporting a Canadian silver three pence - an unusal find for these shores.

By now the rain was belting down and members were slipping and sliding in all directions! I spotted a soaking and plastered in mud DKCrooby in the distance, and a destined to fall in the mud Nomad and couldn't help but snap them for popsterity.

Back at "Basecamp Blue Portacabin" there was much showing of finds in the relative shelter that it provided. Lots more hammered had surfaced including a silver of James to JTalbot, a love token William III to Metalman, a hammered to Peter Halford, another to the chap in the Audi TT (sorry mate forget your user name} and a smattering of Roman grots. WBM also had a shilling and a lovely Georgian silver tag stating the word BRANDY. A strange neck on it for a decanter tag, so not sure its definate use, but it was silver and Paul was more than happy

Willowtree had a most unusual Maudy penny of a bun headed Vicky 1840's. What was unusual is that I had never seen one before today, and I ended up seeing two of them as someone had brought one to show me. Theres strange powers at work!

News was also floating about that two more silver rings had been found by different members, bringing the total so far to 4!

That was me for the day as my camera had stopped working due to the rain(excuse the lack of photos}, my machine was also playing up, my wellies were half full of rain and I was soaked through. I headed home to start cooking the Sunday lunch.

About half an hour ago though I got a call from Tafflaff to update me on the rest of the day.  

Nobby had part of a Roman enamelled trumpet brooch, Kaister had found a silver WIlliam IV shilling, Rambo a decorated spindal whorl, Rambos Dad a forged spade guinea (may be a gaming piece} and finally someone had found yet another ring. this one though was Roman and enamelled. Apparently its a beauty of a find.

Thats it - here come the photos!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:20:14 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »

And again

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »

Some more photos

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »

Last ones - feel free to add your finds guys as my camera it went Kaput!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:32:03 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »

Nice write-up Neil & some fantastic finds Guys & Girls !  Wink

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
JRD

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »

Good write up and photos Neil as always.

Just gutted got nothing to show as usual!

About the the best I had today was 1932 silver six pence, musket ball, few buttons, strap end and a very corroded unidentified coin. Where was I when the rings were being pulled  Cry

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »

a very wet day but not for Melonhead who is on a roll a lovely gold ring he found and withing five minutes found his nice little 1921 silver Canadian 5 cent, myself a musket ball i copper coin one button ,gave up at 12-15 foot playing up very wet and hungry so stayed in the car till Melonhead came back. Wink nice D.W.rally turnout despite the weather  Wink P.S. nice write up Neil m8. Wink
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:02:10 PM by CASA-DOS (kev) » Logged
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »

neil another great report and photos, well done everyone you deserved it for putting up with the weather, mark thats a nice ring are you fed up finding silver now  Grin.viv
nomad

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »

im singing in the rain ...im singing the rain..  what  a glorious feelining im happy again just singing in the rain...... cheers dw ... another great rally ..regardless of the weather
tyna

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »

Some fascinating finds there guys.  Good to see that spirits seemed high despite the rain.  Well done for sheer determination.

Smiley

Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »

i didnt sing in the rain but i fall in the hole Roll Eyes. glad i was behind that big tree so nobody can see me stuck in that mud superglue .
duggypuggy

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »

Thanks again to all committee and stewards for their devotion to all who attended today,although soaked to the skin you gave your time to take photos,study finds and most importantly have a chat and a laugh.  Kiss
nomad

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »

they have a fetish for the wet look........lol
metalman
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »

Tintern 2 rally.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal