Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Non Roman Ray Chef and taff out again on Button Moon  (Read 5475 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« on: February 09, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »

Once again we decided to visit button moon in Darkest Deepest Somerset....But first we had to meet a man with land, LOTS OF LAND , its seems he owns Somerset , or thats how it seemed when he was showing us which fields were his.

We had a quick go on one or two fields of his, I had a William iii farthing , a Pot leg and a nice buckle,

We couldnt get our bearings on the new fields so decided to return when we had a map of the fields. We even managed to misplace a monument!  We returned to the car and met a nice guy 'Jon' who's actually joined DW with his better half tonight.

On to button moon and the finds continued appearing , lots of buttons, 2 tudor mounts, Livery button, Three Roman coins and a silver Claddaugh button/cufflink

I shall let ray and Chef post their finds up. All in all we had a great day .
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:47:12 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Debbie

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »

Well done Rob - what a lot of finds !
You nearly always come up with silver Rob - a good day's detecting.
Deb  Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

Nice one Rob....but where are the pics of your Romans? you just got to love that buckle.
Well for my part it wasn't quite as productive although I did manage to find one Roman grot and some coppers. I did however retrieve from just under the turf (the impression was left on the roots) a Timex watch that was still ticking away like a good un, I'm still amazed by that. That's my second wrist watch in the last 2 weeks.

Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »

Grin  welldone guys thats a lot of finds wow nice one . Napoleon.
johnus brummieus maximus

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:28:42 PM »

Some very nice finds well done all.

Married to wife Shirley have two children Jamie and Lewis do enjoy rallies skype: john.paul.williams2
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »

you should give that watch to Rob Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
jtalbot0001

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:33:04 PM »

Great finds guys!! I love your button Rob!! If you haven't considered it, it should be declared as treasure as those types of buttons, ones with two hearts under Royal Crown is widely considered to be symbol of the restoration of King Charles II, so you talking 1660 ish for your button, which would automatically make it fall under the Treasure Act! And the symbolism with the two hands to me shows Charles II (one hand) shaking hands with the Government/Parliament (the other hand) agreeing to run the country under Parliament, or to put better, the people of Britain, rather than the old system of Charles I and before. A fantastic piece of history in one little button, amazing!! I want one Smiley Well done Rob!!

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 10:45:19 PM »

Nice idea Jon but the crown, hearts and hands are representative of  loyalty, love and friendship. As a group they have been used since Roman times and are still used in Europe as Fede rings, we have adopted the Irish Claddagh symbol to mean the same thing.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 10:57:36 PM »

how doo you guys get all the good finds ? theres something your not telling us lol  Smiley

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
jtalbot0001

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 11:01:27 PM »

You have a very good point Geoff, it can work either way! Just had a look on the UKDFD website, there are loads of varieties of these on the UKDFD database, there is one very similar to Rob's, in terms of design, http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=13766&cat=all That's what I love about these things and history, we will never know for sure, and both stories have their merits! Hope to see you soon Geoff!! And Rob!! And everybody else for that matter!! Cheers, Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 11:48:31 PM »

More super finds from button moon guys, Wink  I take it from the title Ray didn't find has roman  Roll Eyes,
well done all on yet another great day at button moon

doddy10

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 02:07:32 AM »

Looks like a great day out, that button is stunning
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »

The cufflink is a beauty Rob - I was spot on with my guess from your description over the phone. Wink

The buckle is a cracker as well. Early medieval at a guess, but I shall see if Mr Whitehead concurs when I get home.

Well done lads! Did Ray get the Roman voodoo off his back?

See you all Sunday.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »

No Neil the Roman monkey is still firmly stuck on his back, If he doesn't find something Roman soon I'm taking him to a excavated Roman site I have permission for and if he fails there (just not possible) then I'm going to apply to have his name changed by deed poll Grin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:06:40 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
viking

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »

well done all, nice silver rob , the hammereds are there some where im sure      Cool

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal