Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales Rally Number 25 - the Farmer Phil Rally.  (Read 19962 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 30, 2011, 08:34:06 PM »

The day started bright and early as Mark, Johnny LoveToken and I travelled to Hereford. On the way we had a call to say that there was a picket line outside the farm - thankfully that was just a joke, but it amused us all the same.

This was a new farm for DW, but we knew it was in a promising area and it didn't fail to please on the finds front.

Around 90 DW members turned out for the day including 4 members who along with MC Hammered had travelled all the way down from Scotland. Apart from the detectorists we also had 3 FLO's on site, who were kept busy recording the days finds and handing out cakes, made courtesy of Nomads good lady - Shelly! They were lovely and certainly filled a hole - Thank You very much.

We started the introduction speech with a very apt and loud "minute of applause" in memory of long standing DW member Farmer Phil who sadly recently passed away. A collection for Phil's family was also made by Pipster and I understand towards the end it was close to £300. Well done Pip on doing a sterling job.

After the overview we dispersed into a mixture of "seeded" (no pun intended) and pasture fields. The first hour seemed to crawl by with very little being found, and then all Hell broke loose as it so often does as hammered and Roman coinage appeared all over the place and bizzarely in big denominations.

The first one I saw belonged to Nomad who was sporting a big smile as well as an Edward Groat - a great start. Not far from Nomad was The Doc with a slightly smaller hammered half penny. Not to be out done by his mate, Steven King also pulled our a hammered half penny.

Next it was my turn to find something, firstly with a clog clasp featuring the Welsh three feathers and then with Vicky sixpence dated 1864.

More hammered coins were popping up including a very rare William 1st of Scotland coin found by Benny (who always does well on DW events). It was quite apt as we had 4 Scottish guests with us - not sure if they got to see it though! There was also a craking Elizabethan sixpence but that was on the FLO's table so not sure who found it. Another Lizzy and a Charles 1st penny were also being recorded for posterity on the table.

Plenty of people were finding Roman grots and I heard of at least one fibula that was recorded. The finest looking Roman I saw though was in the hands of Iggle Piggle - and it was indeed a stormer.

News reached me that two of the nicest people you could meet Ozzy Head Jo and her brother Melonhead (Mark) had found a hammered coin each. I trudged off through the mud to find them eventually in the furthest field from the car park. On the way I bumped into Rambo who soon joined me when he heard what they had each found.

For those who aren't aware - Jo and Mark were close friends of Farmer Phil and frequently used to all go detecting together along with Casa Dos and Walton Basin Man. Jo recounted how they had made their finds to me:

"When Mark and I walked into the field there was a "congratulations" balloon stuck in one of the trees. As we detected towards it, the balloon broke free and sailed along the ground. We followed it and suddenly Mark got a signal and pulled out a "Milled" Sixpence of Elizabeth! {thats right a MILLED sixpence of Liz - a very, very rare coin in fantastic condition).

After celebrating we continued walking and went into another field when I(Jo) got a signal and sticking out of the mud I could see some silver. I called over Mark, and it turned out to be this!"

This, by the way was an emaculate Charles 1st Half Crown - with detail on the horse that I have never seen as crisp! Someone up above was certainly looking down on the pair of them. Well Done guys - over the moon for you both! It'll be your turn next time Kev!

As the day pulled to a close, most people seemed happy as apart from the 12 hammered coins and a handfull of milled silver, we had all had a fun day out in memory of Farmer Phil. I think Phil would have enjoyed the day.

Special thanks go to Pauly Wow and TaffLaff for arranging the farm. The DW members who donated a Hammered book and minelab polo shirts (sorry guys my brain is frazzled on the names). Mrs Nomad for the lovely cakes. The farmer and his wife who were mesmerised by the age of some of the finds and spent hours talking to DW members. They have told us that we are welcome back. On that note please remember that any farm you attend on a DW rally remains a DW farm and is not to be revisited on your own or volunteered as an alternative clubs rally venue.

Thats it - I am shattered and off to eat my Sunday roast. Enjoy the photos - they may take some time to post as I took one or two!

cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »

More

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:41:18 PM »

More

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »

More still - the best is yet to come!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:45:35 PM »

Here they are!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »

Final few for now - more tomorrow!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 08:53:33 PM »

nice roman

FEL TEMP REPARATIO, soldier leading barbarian either from the woods or a hut.

datewise i put it at 348 to 350AD. probably Constans

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:55:49 PM by handyman [Alan} » Logged

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
johnd
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »

Glad you guys had a great day and for a good cause how much did you raise in th end
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »

£280 and we got the  book and t shirt to Auction in the next few mins, once I can find out the name of the book
 Smiley
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:00:16 PM by handyman [Alan} » Logged

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »

As ever Neil an excellent write up and to all those who attended I'm glad you all had a great time. Congratulations to those who made some great finds. NOW THEN.........

Mark that coin has gone on one of my wish lists, unfortunately it's on the same one as a King Arthur sixpence and a Genghis Khan penny (Canterbury mint of course), well done fella find of a lifetime.

Jo. you only found your first hammy back in the summer so to find that huge beauty is just plain greedy. A big well done girl, I'm made up for you.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:09:17 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 09:08:19 PM »

heres a photo of a spindal werl i found in my last hole of the day..i found out neil was about half a mile away i thought it would be best to take the photo myself.lol.
raymondoo

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »

WOW that is one of the nicest I've seen Ray, well done bro.
johnd
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »

how much was raised im confused
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 09:17:18 PM »

John £280 + Whatever we raise on the auction tonight .

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal