Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: p.a.s and detecting  (Read 1661 times)
nfl
Superhero Member

« on: January 28, 2011, 02:01:24 PM »

ok im having a moan and this is why,ever since ive been tectin ive never nighthawked and gained permision to every site i tect,ive shown the flo things i know and objects that i aint sure about and even though ive only been showing finds to flo for the last 18 months after joining a local club the result is 1 field of mine got scheduled,another field next to a ancient monument the farmer says i cant go on there no more as english heritage says no tectin[even though the flo knows the site and said it would be ok as its more than 20 metres away,so that field has gone now,,,,,,,so if im ever lucky enough to find a hoard the only place its going is e bay,,,,..

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »

sounds like the farmer has applied for and got ELS level 2, which 'restricts' detecting - which he is interpreting as no detecting.

one of the categories for obtaining a level 2, is if there is anything of archaeological interest on the land. If there is, then he begins to meet the criteria for the award and the extra payment that it generates .. and to be honest, who can honestly deny farmers from getting the extra payment.. things are tough enough for them at present.

The PAS database can be used to see what finds have appeared, but that alone is not enough to generate an acceptance onto level 2. There has to be something substantial [either above, or below ground]  for that to happen!

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:19:57 PM »

i dont think that was the case as the farmer has been happy to allow me on the said field in the past and if the field is so achaeoloicaly important why is it a arable field which is in the process of getting reploughed.

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »

,,,,,,,so if im ever lucky enough to find a hoard the only place its going is e bay,,,,..

Not a good idea Paul. You will find lose your find, acquire a criminal record and a hefty fine or worse.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:54:43 PM »

I think Ebay has a lot to answer for.
Why on earth would anyone to buy some of the stuff listed on Ebay....Mixed broken buckles ,trade tokens,broken Saxon, Medevil Roman Artifefacts, and then wish to  remain annonomus on theyre bidding  Huh ??
Im sure a lot of these items end up on Detecting Web sites, Club find of the months  etc as genuine finds
Its something Detectorists really talk about but it happends.

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

I notice this thread is a bit quiet!

Reporting things to the FLO is a double edged sword. Lots of finds from one site and they want to
investigate and that may lead to the land being protected in some way.

My gripe is with the Treasure Trove procedure. A simple artefact can take two or three years and
more often than not the valuation is very poor. It should be the market value and NOT the lowest
price they think they can get away with!

This doesn't encourage people to follow the rules.....

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »

The Museum of Wales wanted to buy my collection of Roman Brooches.

If I sold them to the museum my name would not be displayed and they could not guarantee me they would
go on display.

If I donated them, my name would go on diplay as the finder but again, they could not guarantee they would
go on display!

Result?  I still have them...........and they're not on display!  Cry

They may as well st in my drawer as in the drawer of the museum.

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »

i couldent agree more rjm,i think any finds i make in the future will stay firmly at home as after all i got into the hobby to find pieces of history not to create a rod for my own back by having dictated to me where i can detect and only being able to keep certain things,,,as for treasure im not breaking no law as such if i havent shown the item to the powers that be so im not aware that its treasure,,many detectorists find cracking stuff every year and im sure they are selective in what they admit to finding and i dont blame em.

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 02:46:32 PM »

Going off subject a bit ,about should you report of not.
I was told a story many years ago now.
I thought it was just an urban myth.

I was telling my mate about where id been detecting that day, and told me a story about a major find that was found there and it was never reported and ended up in an London Auction room.
A group of mates detecting in the late 70,s early 80,s  from the Rhondda Cynon Taff area found a Small silver and bronze Roman Aquila.
It was kept hidden for a few months before a they contacted an auctions house and it was sold and the money split
Might be just a good yarn, has anyone else heard of this ??

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal