Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: first time on beach  (Read 4175 times)
rhyso

« on: November 12, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »

just picked up my first metal detector in the last couple of weeks. went to local beach and found a few coins nothing much (1p and 2p). Im using a garret ACE 250, i realized was i was detecting load of silver but it was all 8+ deep. it was everywhere so i didnt go for any target. can anyone help me with this issue?

"For me archaeology is not a source of illustrations for written texts, but an independent source of historical information, with no less value and importance, sometimes more importance, that the written sources"
Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »

By Silver, i presume you mean Foil, & if so, apart from upping the Discrim on the machine at the risk of missing other possible descent finds, there`s not a lot you can do. It`s one of those things unfortunately that we all dig foil as lots of other reasonable finds come in the same range !

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 06:28:53 PM »

I'm only guessing Rhyso but I think what you are experiencing is falsing due to wet sand. The ace is in reality a inland machine and can't handle the mineralisation on salt wet beaches. Your only real options are too either stick to the dry sand at the top of the beach or turn your sensitivity down until the falsing stops.
the sutt

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »

when detecting on the beach with a ace 250 turn you sensitiviy down to number4
that will help you with the foil
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »

we have a member on here goes by the name of ' i will find it ' .she is called marjie and does well on her local beach with an ace 250.might be worth you sending her a message for some tips.personaly i loved the ace and always found coins whereever i went.only sold it because my mate nagged me all the time too sell it too him.good luck.mike
  p.s also check out napolean he does well with ace

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
dkcrooby

(Shianne)

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 07:59:34 PM »

I had the same problem, also whilst using my Ace 250.  I want to give it another go on number 4 and see what happens.  I'll report back if I have any luck.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:01:06 PM by dkcrooby » Logged
Dodger

Badgering away

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »

Yeah, sensitivity to four works. Not a big beach detector but the Ace works at this setting with no false signals when Iv'e tried it.
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »

when i use the ace 250  at the beach i turn sensitivity around 3  to 4 and try to detect no to slow and not to fast but low to the sand , it work for me  had 3 gold ring few coins ,  gold ear ings , 2 silver ring , 5000 pull taps , 4 strongbow, a man watch, a mobile phone, a brooch but victorian  so that was very good but i will said the amount of money i find this year  well my garrett as been payed for so thats very good , forgot i use it at all metal no discrim .

Bonne chance to you buddy.

Napoleon
I will find it

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 11:36:34 PM »

I started going out detecting July this year. I agree with Nap swing low and slow. I have varied the mode of mine from Jewellry to all metal but now keep it on Jewellry mode.  I take the discrim off the first 3 notches as get lots of junk, mind you I have still found some junk.  I use my small coil. On the wet sand I turn sensitivy down to 3 or 4 you wont have the depth as you would have if turned right up, but will still find.  There have been occasions of false signals and no signals even when near my spade then all of a sudden the signal returns.  Drives me mad.  Gets thick of wet sand so I have to clean it off in the water, it goes mad and then calm returns. It took me a long time to get used to it. Wash coil in fresh water when you get home.  My beach finds:  22ct ring, 9ct ring, broken 9ct ring, C52 mobile which still works, corroded watch, pull tabs, strongbow, ten pegs and not enough coins to pay for it. My motto is if it beeps dig it up.

Best of luck.  Keep at it and you will find it!
 Wink
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 02:59:45 AM »

If you think the Ace is hard to use on a beach, you want to try a CScope 1220xd.

I regularly used to come back from beach detecting with a headache from trying to listen over the racket of the junk iron and false signals from sand.

Now I have an Etrac I will be giving it a try and hopefully not have to take the paracetamol with me.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
jondav

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »

Garrets as far as i know are not noted to be the best on wet sand,i,ve never used one but this is the feedback i,ve had ,if you are going to use this machine on beaches, turn the disc up high, and stick to getting chunky high conductive targets like copper  and lead,saves diggingloads of aluminium

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal