Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't believe it.......  (Read 3477 times)
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« on: October 16, 2010, 03:27:32 PM »

A month ago, Techony and I were handing in our finds to the local FLO, when in comes a lovely old lady, interrupts the conversation, and reaches into her bag and pulls out the object below asking 'is it real?'

Further discussion revelaled that she attended a local house sale clearance, many years ago and bought it for half a crown [12.5p]. Since then she has painstakingly polished it every week.

The object was taken away and returned one month later with the excellent news that it is indeed the genuine article.

what a lovely 'detecting' find .... all them years ago.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:36:20 PM »

WOW. What a find. Reminds me of a friend of mind. She put me onto a field at the back of where she used to live. She and her brothers dug up a sword which apparantly they were allowed to play with till it was trashed. Seems her Dads house was built on part of an old Cemetry.
I've been to see the Farmer but he's not very receptive and has put me off. Still he gave me his number and said to ring him next Feb/Mar. Another one on the back burner.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »

woww  thats in nice condition too, stil got the large wide blade on it,  nice one,
 Val,  be sure to look him up mind,  he may have been busey  when you went to see him.  i won't be so busey then or he wouldn't have given you his number,

A woman i was seeing a few years ago moved into a house that was built on an old buriel / battle site in Beddau.   they dug up an old sword too while digging the back garden,   they kept it in the shed though,   and one of the sons freinds pinched it,  doh,

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »

Fully intend to Al. Must admit he probably was busy. They've been getting potatoes in, cleaning and bagging like mad. I did buy a bag off him and they make great chips so I'll go back for some more Wink
Found out off my friend her brother works on farm so another connection. Failing that I'll have to ask her Dad if I can climb over his fence Shocked

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:59:30 AM »

wow that would have been good to get on there after they'd lifted the poatoes Val,   you could have picked your own like i did too from what was left behind on the surface lol, next year maybe,  connections as well hey, good luck with it,
Alan

dkcrooby

(Shianne)

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:55:59 AM »

Too true Alan, I'm always finding potatoes in my small vege patch after I'd thought I'd dug them all out. 
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »

You know the type of detectorist i mean, the type that if you were to throw them into a manure heap, would still manage to find a hammered coin in the middle of it!

Last Friday, my detecting pals and I tried a new part of a field that we have been searching and recording methodically. Well we must have walked miles, that day and the only reward we got were buttons, lead and bullets.

Towards the end of the 5 hour detecting marathon, one of our colleagues [with a Deus], gets an iffy signal, digs it and out of nowhere up pops, what was at first thought to be an anglo saxon coin. A walk towards a puddle and a quick wash, reveals a charles 1st penny.

His third hammered of the year!   Some people have all the luck don't they! ---    but then ...

Sundays detecting session, on a different part of the  same field, produced a very similar day for all 5 of us, Buttons, lead and buckles. After stopping for 'tiffin', club members resumed the detecting session, whilst i made my way back to the car to offload the cooker, kettle and biccies. Mrs H accompanied me as she made her way home and her last words to me as she drove off was 'go find a hammy for me'.

Fate, or what, but i couldn't be bothered to walk back to the middle of the field, So i changed detectors over to the xterra 50 and started on another path.

Would you believe it, within 20 paces of resuming detecting out pops an Edward penny [13th/14th century] , just as the local landowner passes by. [He wanted to know what i'd got and was absolutely amazed at the find].

A concentrated search followed and it soon drew the attention of my fellow detectorists who hot footed it over to where i was. [Well i would say that, but they would say they were heading that way as it looked like rain!] We searched the area closely but nothing else turned up. I'm pleased to say that this was my third hammered of the year as well, with a machine that is a third of the price of them new fangled Deus's!

All was well until i told Mrs H that i had carried out her 'command'. ... just don't understand her negative reaction!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Roast Lamb and Mint Sauce
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »

Alan is it not amazing how often this happens. On many occasions I have grided a piece of field and found nowt only to turn towards the hedge for a call of nature and within 10 paces found the find of the day. Sods Law I believe they call it.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 06:52:48 PM »

That's the beauty of detecting............you never know what's going to pop out next...........and where.

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »

i found my first gold ring when i was heading back and making a beeline for the slipway,diagonaly up the beach after spending 3 hrs gridding the beach                                                                                        today turned my machine on,swung it and took one step forward then got a gothic florin.this is a wierd hobby Shocked

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »

Hi Alan,
It wasn't Roman Ray was it,....... If he fell in poop he would come out smelling of roses Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal