Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancestry.co.uk  (Read 37005 times)
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« on: January 07, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »

I joined ancestry.co.uk last week. Anyone else a member as I'd like to ask advice on how to search it if anyone could help. Also willing to do look ups if anyone needs one.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »

Hi Jon

Hubbies been a member for 4 years. I've used it though not recently but could prob. help if you need it.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:27:53 AM »

Great stuff! What I'd like to do is search an address on the Census and not search for people. I had the 1881 Census on CDs and you were able to search a particular vicinity on that but I can't find a way of doing it on ancestry.com. It's driving me nuts! I know where the family lived in 1901 but through being wrongly transcribed or something I can't find them...most irritating  Undecided Any help appreciated.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 12:29:38 AM »

The family changed their names en masse from TURK to MILLS so something was afoot. I would never have tracked them down except for a converstaion with an octogenarian aunt twenty odd years ago. Glad I wrote it all down at the time.
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:24:31 AM »

HI Jon,

I am a member of Ancestry. You should be able to search for a particular address on advanced search.

I will have a go and let you know how I did it if its possible.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »

I've been an ancestry member for two years. You can't just stick an address in and search for it. However if you can find out which enumerated district your address is in then you can go to that set of scanned documents and search page by page.

Check this link (I hope it works), on the right side of the page you can go through the menus until you get the right district.

http://http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=7619&path=Cheshire.Hockenhull&aid=10505988&pid=1954528&sid=

On some census years you can put the street name in the 'keywords' box and this finds the correct data.

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 03:44:36 PM »

Hi Jon
Rob is right, you can't do a search for the address. Another alternative way to find it is long winded but it works. Say you want the 1901 census
Enter a name i.e John Mills + date of birth + area
Look for 'Return to Search Results' next to that are the area details i.e.Monmouth-Newport-District 54
Click on Newport. This will give you access to all the districts covered in Newport. Each one has a header page with exact details of where from - to the district is.
Working together with a current street map or Google Earth (click on Roads) you can see where each street is.
Very long winded in a big place like Newport but it can be done. A lot of the streets still exist.

Have you tried a one name search. Sometimes it's easier, specially if you know date and place of birth or have an unusual christian name.(you can search for christian names) Try alternative ways of spelling. You wouldn't believe how many ways Mills can be entered. Try Mils, Hills, Miles, Wills, ect. Eventually you'll learn every trick in the book. I'm sure the Emunerators where foreign and didn't understand the regional accents.  Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 11:36:01 PM »

Cheers for the advice guys. I'll give it a go. I joined Gwent Family History Society in 1999 so have been at it a while. The ancestry site could do with a few tweaks. I know what you mean with the transcription errors. My HORLOR line has been spelt HORLOR, HORLER, HARLOR, HERLER,HORLEY,HAWLER,HOWLER (My favourite!)

My great great grandfather changing his name from Turk to Mills has given me YEARS of fun and games! I guess he was a naughty boy....
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 09:03:02 AM »

At least you have unusual surnames, my 32 great great grandparents are mostly Jones, the rest are Davies, Hughes, Williams and Thomas - very hard to trace people when there are so many people with the same name in the villages!

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »

Yup. I know what you mean. My great grandmother was a DAVIES. Margaret Davies. Father Tom, mother Ann. Brother David. I gave up on that one for quite a while!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal