Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: **Gold today**  (Read 12368 times)
avalon

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »

Another super find Steve well done m8t and HNY to you...PaulB. Cool

Still pulling it out Paul Wink

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 09:46:47 PM »

hope you are going to record it on the PAS database Steve.

nice find.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
avalon

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 10:03:35 PM »

hope you are going to record it on the PAS database Steve.

nice find.
My only answer to that is something to do with sex and travel Roll Eyes

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 10:15:18 PM »

hmm -- rather a selfish repsonse for this time of year. such wonderful finds deserve to be recorded on the national database.

the nations history deserves to be recorded. there is no logical excuse for not doing so.

happy new year.

avalon

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »

My excuse for not doing so, is If you were sitting on a pile of  paperwork written by your local FLO officer and  Gloucestershire Archaeology accusing  you of grave robbing, nighthawking and stealing some of the  hoard I found, maybe you would not feel so charitable towards them. I do not appreciated the FLO marching into my detecting club which I’ve helped run for 25 years calling me a grave robber and other accusation which are based on nothing more that jealousy and malicious gossip. When they have a public enquiry and sack those involved in those malicious falsehoods, then I will record with them. My only crime is finding too much and not handing my sites over to them, which I had done so in the past only to find,  I can no longer detect on them. My allegiance is with the landowner who owns the land, not to someone who will charge the farmer to excavate it.

The items have been in the ground for 2000 years undiscovered, so they can now wait another 40 years before I pass the information onto them. I have no problem in other people recording as I believe we all play an important part in piecing together our hidden past, but in my case I can simply not work with them anymore. Angry 

Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 02:52:15 PM »

Thats a cracker Avalon,  what a way to finnish the year hey, well done

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 03:44:56 PM »

hi avalon

as you rightly say 'it's an excuse'. Regardless of the pros and cons, there is nothing stopping you from recording the artefact with the celtic coin index or other PAS outside of your area.

Your present stance will do the perception of the hobby, by those who should know better,  even further harm, as it will provide those detractors with evidence of detectroists who fail to record and with it perhaps an impetus towards a tightening up on the present system, perhaps licensing or restricting detecting big time.

Recording adds weight to our responsibility as detectorists. I still encourage you to do so.

Cheers

avalon

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »

As far as I can see they have made unsubstantiated criminal allegations against me, now they have two choices either charge me with illegal grave robbing, night hawking and theft  or  they can publish a public apology for all to see. They cannot go around  publishing malicious falsehoods about  anyone without substantial evidence, I do not have to prove my innocence they have to prove my guilt, and they even state in private emails there is no prosecutable evidence, but they have put the allegations in writing which now becomes libellous.
I am not prepared to record with them until they put there own house in order, as I am prepared to make this a test case.

How can anyone trust them, if they are prepared to publish  information behind our backs which is completely untrue. I will record with them but they have to make the first move in resolving this issue..  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:54:08 PM by avalon » Logged

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »

Have you had problems with more than one F.L.O Jurisdiction ? If you have not then surely the common sense approach would be to recored with another area. I know Peter reaville who is often on detecting Wales has offered to record for other areas. I think your case is a solitary one or at least a rare case as I've not seen other accusations from detectorists of this severity.

As has been already stated it seems a shame not to record just because of a select few bad eggs in the system.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »

Taff and Alan, It doesn't matter which FLO you record with as that record will end up in the in tray of the relevant FLO for the find area. So if you have a problem with them it would just seem as if you are avoiding them.
Some of us on here remember when detectors were licensed and they did away with them as it was unworkable.
I for one record my finds with PAS but if someone wishes to record with UKDFD then I believe that is equally as valuable a resource.
I have found 36 3rd-4thC Roman grots from the ring field and I have been told unless coins from another era turn up then there is not much point recording any more of them as it adds diddly squat to the bigger picture.

I meant to add, If any one has this problem or can't get in to see their FLO, remember you can self record on the PAS web site.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:22:05 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 06:22:10 PM »

thx for that Geoff. It helps clarify the situation and offers an alternative recording mechanism.

interesting comment re: the coinage,  as our arkie is very interested in whatever turns up as the types of coinage helps indicate the decline of the roman occupation as the 4th century progressed. As you and i know, eventually someone will come along to do a piece of research in the area and will be only to glad to have access to all the recorded items.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 06:48:12 PM »

Ah Alan your dealing with a Archaeologist, I'm talking about PAS. The 36 coins cover a 50 year period which probably represents habitation/usage of the site for 5-10 years. Coins that enlarge the area or are from wider age range are still of interest.
Unfortunately most of the collating and research of the data on PAS will be by PHD students when writing their thesis.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »

totally agree Geoff. up here, we record our finds with PAS and then the information and coins are forwarded onto the arkie to add into the research database.

what has been very interesting is that in one field, that we have been researching over a number of years, the number of coins found is almost 4 figures and from it, the arkies have been able to extrapolate the extent of the town in its heyday [the affluent 1st/2nd century], and its gradual collapse as it the 4th century progressed. the location of the coinage is key to this hypothesis.

i agree with your comment re the future usage of the PAS database  by those embarking on a career in archaeology and its spin offs, lets hope they also consider other databases, such as UKDFD and other specific projects.

johnus brummieus maximus

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »

Avalon,

This is a very kind word from myself to a person that appears to me to be full of anger and by what I have read to be understandable.I can not help but feel that there is more then meets the eye to this, these FLO officers and other finds departments do not make their feelings known unless pushed to do so, meaning that they must of been informed strongly that these allegations appear to be happening.
Now their are ways that you can move on this, if you are the member of your club and as you indeed make clear you have been so because you have been helping run it for twenty five years then you should request the help of all members for support, you may also find sadly that members also become jealous of one's position of finds, You may also contact John Wells from Midlands detectors association if you are a member and ask him to look into matters, all this said Avalon despite members making their views known, or even the relevant departments making their views to yourself, you may be in a stronge position for prosecution on the grounds you have already made, the finds and other departments cannot repeat cannot make these allegations without factual evidence.Your next move is to ask them if there findings are of there own personal person, or of the proffesional organisation as a whole, if either is the case then I would make a claim in the civil courts under the fast track system this will cost you approx £130.00 but they may well make a counterclaim against you and call upon their witnesses of support this is where it starts to get dirty.Avalon from the heart now as I have been in a position of lies and had to fight a case of lies in court and paid for it out of my own pocket but did I win? of course I did as attached I had to fight it not because of money and loss but because of me and myself and what I know was true.Avalon I dont know you as a person but I am indeed behind you all the way if what you say is true because in the end all it will do is grind you down and eat at you, it not only effects you but also your family life to in my case I run my own business so I had no other option so go for it ps this site has nothing to worry about with me uploading this file as I have the right of disclosure no one repeat no one will ever walk on me again without feeling the full force of the law and officers of the crown must also abide by the laws as we know them today Kind regards John.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:33:16 PM by johnus maximus » Logged

Married to wife Shirley have two children Jamie and Lewis do enjoy rallies skype: john.paul.williams2
avalon

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 11:13:05 PM »

Thank’s John, you have provided me with some useful information, and I will follow that coarse of action . I am not after any financial gain as I don’t need the money, but I do want my name removed from there database, and to find out where the allegations came from. I do not want to undermine any areas of the country where archaeologists and detectorist’s have good working relationships, but unfortunately  in the county of Gloucestershire detectorists are seen as a scourge on society.

As for recording finds with the P.A.S, 5 years ago I handed a box of 800+ items to our local finds officer  to record, all these object were medieval/Roman, 2 years later after countless phone calls, I asked for the box back, as not one item had been recorded. It seems to me they are only interested in Treasure items and  when faced with the amount of finds I provided them, could not be bothered to do the paperwork.   

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal