Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welsh are the "true" Britons - DNA Test results.  (Read 5191 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 03, 2008, 04:46:03 PM »

Gene scientists claim to have found proof that the Welsh are the "true" Britons. The research supports the idea that Celtic Britain underwent a form of ethnic cleansing by Anglo-Saxons invaders following the Roman withdrawal in the fifth century.

Genetic tests show clear differences between the Welsh and English

It suggests that between 50% and 100% of the indigenous population of what was to become England was wiped out, with Offa's Dyke acting as a "genetic barrier" protecting those on the Welsh side.

And the upheaval can be traced to this day through genetic differences between the English and the Welsh. Academics at University College in London comparing a sample of men from the UK with those from an area of the Netherlands where the Anglo-Saxons are thought to have originated found the English subjects had genes that were almost identical.

But there were clear differences between the genetic make-up of Welsh people studied.

The research team studied the Y-chromosome, which is passed almost unchanged from father to son, and looked for certain genetic markers.

They chose seven market towns mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and studied 313 male volunteers whose paternal grandfather had also lived in the area.

They then compared this with samples from Norway and with Friesland, now a northern province of the Netherlands. The English and Frisians studied had almost identical genetic make-up but the English and Welsh were very different.

The researchers concluded the most likely explanation for this was a large-scale Anglo-Saxon invasion, which devastated the Celtic population of England, but did not reach Wales.

Dr Mark Thomas, of the Centre for Genetic Anthropology at UCL, said their findings suggested that a migration occurred within the last 2,500 years.

It reinforced the idea that the Welsh were the true indigenous Britons.

In April last year, research for a BBC programme on the Vikings revealed strong genetic links between the Welsh and Irish Celts and the Basques of northern Spain and south France. It suggested a possible link between the Celts and Basques, dating back tens of thousands of years. The UCL research into the more recent Anglo-Saxon period suggested a migration on a huge scale.

"It appears England is made up of an ethnic cleansing event from people coming across from the continent after the Romans left," he said.

Archaeologists after the Second World War rejected the traditionally held view that an Anglo-Saxon invasion pushed the indigenous Celtic Britons to the fringes of Britain. Instead, they said the arrival of Anglo-Saxon culture could have come from trade or a small ruling elite.

But the latest research by the UCL team, "using genetics as a history book", appears to support the original view of a large-scale invasion of England.

It suggests that the Welsh border was more of a genetic barrier to the Anglo-Saxon Y chromosome gene flow than the North Sea.

Dr Thomas added: "Our findings completely overturn the modern view of the origins of the English."

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »

hmmm Interesting ,
  This is what i found a while back and whats on one of my other sites,.

Wales is the oldest original inhabitated part of Great Britain. The Celtic Nation of Wales and its peoples date back over 30,000 years and before than Neanderthals existed in Wales over 250,000 years ago.
As stated the Welsh were massively respected and befriended by the Vikings and the Normans and latter day French who call Wales Pays De Galles (friend)

The language is 1 of the oldest left alive in the world. so independent so unique, so rich and clever in resources its a magnificent country ,

In 878 AD the Britons of Wales unified with the Vikings of Denmark to destroy an Anglo-Saxon army of Mercians. Like Cornwall in 722. which was then part of Wales, But in school we were taught that the Vikings ( Juets ) were our enemies. " its a lovely land, With freindly people n Great beer "
Remember Tenby, Swansea were Viking settlements. Celts n Vikings forever all

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »

A very interesting Study.

Wales doesnt have the national identity as say Ireland and Scotland and you can only blame the Schools.
It wasnt till i left School in1980 That i found out we had our own Princes Kings and national Leader
Glyndwr, llewellyn  The tudors Arthur Own ect ect.
I dont think things have changed Kid around her think there Americans!
Malcolm.mtts

Every Day is a Lovely Day

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »

Actually the demise of the English was due to 3 wishes granted by a gene of the lamp.

A Welshman, Scotsman and Englishman found the lamp and rubbed it and popped out a gene who looked at them and said it would only be fair to grant each of them 1 wish.

The Scotsman asked for his whisky flask never to become empty.. woosh. the wish was granted.

The Englishman asked for a 100 foot wall be be built around England to keep the Welsh and Scots out..., woosh the wish was granted.

The Welshman turned to the Gene and said "Fill inside the wall with water" ..Woosh the wish was granted and this was the true cause of the demise of the English all those years ago.

Every Day is a Lovely Day
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:19:44 PM »

I don,nt  like to say this but did,nt the same DNA survey discover that the scots were,nt celts ???mole

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »

nice interesting thread guys but i think i will go with Malcolms theory. Cheesy seeing that if you cut me in half you will see made in WALES. Grin Grin Grin   

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal