Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Detectorists Arrested  (Read 5760 times)
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« on: March 18, 2009, 12:01:30 PM »

Friday 13th March

Five men were arrested after they were spotted going onto private land in Suffolk with metal detectors.

A Suffolk Police spokeswoman said the men were being held on suspicion of going equipped for stealing.

She said police received a report of a group being seen on private land at Rendlesham late on Thursday.

The police helicopter and a dog unit were called in and the men were arrested. They were being held at Ipswich police station.

Four of the men were from Essex and one was from Suffolk, the spokeswoman said.

(I just found a bit more)

Officers detained the men on Thursday evening at Rendlesham, near Woodbridge, arresting them on suspicion of going equipped for stealing.

The force helicopter helped direct ground officers to where the men were located. Four men from Essex, two aged 22 and two aged 39, plus a 54-year-old man from Suffolk continue to be questioned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/7942606.stm
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:04:56 PM by Jonola (Jon) » Logged
Bob

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »

We could all do without this sort of thing. Sends out the wrong message and puts all detectorists in a bad light even though the vast majority of us abide by the rules.
StumbledUpon

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:28:56 PM »

Bet they were all dressed like the S.A.S. in their camo.  Grin Grin
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »

They were caught at night and had travelled a long distance. I don't think it was a rally! The sooner this type of thing is clamped down on the sooner the law abiding members of our hobby will get some recognition. The press have seized upon this and detectorists should realise the hobby needs this like a hole in the head.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »

tee hee,  it wasn't me Max,   honestly  lol

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 02:10:11 PM »

I Know Nighthawking is a really bad thing but lets get the crime into prespective
its up there with speeding and going the wrong way down a one way street im my view

You only got to read your local paper to see who the real criminals are ...thugs and muggers there isnt a week that go,s by that some pensioner isnt attacked.

The Police are good at protecting fields but then it comes to protecting decent law abiding people you got to fend for yourself
Ive got a 13 stone angry Rottwieller to look after me so i can sleep safely in my bed !

Well done the great british police !
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:32:47 PM by PHIL YNYSBOETH (RARE) » Logged
Charles Cater

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:03:33 PM »

Whoever it was they deserve getting thier collar felt.

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »

Personally I am very against any kind of unauthorised pillaging of ancient sites. These people hadn't driven hundreds of miles to pick on a random field.
hedgehog
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »

I tend to agree with Phil (and so does my brother who is a police sergeant) at the moment it's rated as badly as being a drug dealer with the possible fines etc;
No they shouldn't be going on sites that are out of bounds, but as others have stated it's hard enough to find it in the daylight.
Would like to know more of the story before making a sound judgement.  Undecided
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »

Some years ago now i was away on a ralley,  got talking to a couple of guys,  they said they go nighthawking,  they do the research,  find the farms and fields and go and ask permision off the famer,  if he turns then down they go back in the night,
 he said they have made thousands from it,  lots of gold and silver too.
they looked a rough lot too,
 a discrace and a let down to all the rest of us law abiding detectorists, giving us all a bad name,
selfishness and greed greed greed,
Alan

zorro
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 04:57:09 PM »

with respect to you phil but i cant differentiate between "who the real criminals ....thugs and muggers" are and nighthawkers. nighthawkers by deffinition detect on land they have no permission to (tresspass). and take what ever they find , (in short steal).
but more than that they tar every other detectorist with the same brush.
there is an army of "archies" out there who would love nothing more than to make metal detecting illegal in this country.
frankly i hope they get all that is coming to them,I hope they get named and shamed and i also hope,for once, that the PAS and various FLO's come forward and admit these thiefs are a small minority amongst our hobby.
there thats me done soap box now put away in shed!
waltonbasinman
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 05:28:49 PM »

Totally agree Zorro. Would like to know the whole story though. The whole idea of pillaging a site is beyond me and to give us respectable detectorists the same name as them is the bit that hurts.  Sad Sad
zorro
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »

Paul, what i've read of the story is that these guys were on land they had no permission to be on , in the late evening/night time. if those 2 facts are true then that says it all really.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 09:59:25 PM »

in my eyes the police are having a laugh when they do get caught they either get a ticking off or as i read not to long ago a nightharker was caught in the acted and he go find £38 thats not enough to stop them they can earn five times that in one night Huh

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »

I agree with you zorro witch ever way you look at it these persons
where in the wrong, as theres no need to be out detecting at any time of night,
       detecting is a day time hobby so when caught they should have the book thrown at them
              DES

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal