Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting Days Out.  (Read 4288 times)
trojan

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 03:18:13 AM »

you need to consider your approach when talking to farmers, first of all, find out what the work schedule is like, going to a farmer in the morning while hes just got up and is very busy is a bad idea, pestering him at lunch/dinner time is a bad idea, hes been working all day and wants to rest and eat, not talk to someone asking to detect his land. dont approach a farmer in his fields or in his milking sheds or his cereal sheds, hes too busy and is not interested in you at that time.
   its all about timing find out from locals the farmers name, so when you approach him in the evening is best, you can then drop a name of someone he knows, i.e mrs smith from the village said to pop up and see you, talk about the farm what he does there show an interest, then drop the bomb i was woundering if you would be so kind as to let me detect on your land from time to time, if he replies that he has someone, cut him off quickly and say ah thats no problem i wont interfere with other people, im just after some light excersise while im detecting, then change the subject again and comment on his farm or house etc... then continue to talk detecting, offer to help with anything on the farm, that usually goes down good, especially if u offer to help with bailing, offer to give him your phone number so he can call you if he needs help with anything, show willing and interest. most of all talk to the wife or children if any, get into a conversation about anything other than detecting, plan your conversation before you go to the farm, pre judge what he might say, and plan ur backup attack, dont stutter or pause to long trying to think of something to say, you have to be confident and fast talking.
  never mention friends will come with you, you can say your son or daughter may pop along one day, then once you have the farm in your detecting portfolio, you then start to butter the farmers wife up with chocs lol, now and then drop off a box of choclate to the wife or some sweets for the kids, pop along ot the farm from time to time not to detect but as a social visit to say hello etc...then work or friends in or a possible rally,

getting land really is all about your sales pitch and bravado, being able to manipulate someone into saying yes even though they want to say no because its easier for them

E-Track CTX 3030
dkcrooby

(Shianne)

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:13 AM »

By the sounds of things, I'm not going to have much luck.  Just the thought of going knocking on a farmers door scares me because  knocking on a strangers door, you're usually met by a face that says 'What do you want? Why are you bothering me?'  Also, I don't have the gift of the gab, which I really wish I had.  I'll still try although I'm not holding out much hope. 
I would have thought that most farmers would love a rally if they knew they were going to gain financially. 
trojan

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »

also never ever phone a farmer to ask to detect as its easier to say no on the phone, (edited by Admin) ...and on some forums ive seen a printable contract for a detectorist and a farmer to sign lol yer right , that has to be the most pathetic idea ive ever seen, farmers dont like signing contracts, brings back bad memories from the old subsidy days ....never use a written contract form ...

approaching a farmer with the view to run a rally on his land is also difficult, as many rallies in the past have caused farmers alot of trouble, with rubbish left behind, holes not filled in, and the biggest killer the loss of an entire field or 2 ...due to foundations being found and reported, and cadw pop along and schedule the field and its never to be ploughed again or used in rainy periods where heavy cattle could churn it to mud, so the farmer loses part of his lively hood

i know everyone wants to do the right thing according to the treasure act etc etc , but you have to stop and think of the dire consequences caused to the farmer and the future of available land too, its the metal detectorist that is going to ultimately destroy metal detecting  perfect example some 4 eyed fat slob was detecting on a farm here in Pembrokeshire and found some Roman items, then he found a wall footing under the ground, he ran off to claim his fame and reported it, the farmer lost 2 fields as it run under the boundary of another field so no more maze fields for the farmer, and now hes stopped everyone going on his land, if you go to him and ask if you can go on, its a straight f*** off and dont come back, and hes dam right to say it too, as hes lost 2 important fields that he used to grow maze on for winter feeding.
    but the worst thing about that whole affair, is that cadw dont have the money to excavate the site and it was covered over and left, so everyone loses out, its great to read the searcher mag and the TH magazine, but start reading the farming magazines also, then you will realise just how much trouble farmers are getting from all this scheduling and detecting rally s, then you will understand more as to why you are not getting on farms.. the latest Ludlow rally run by the lions club, totally scammed everyone they lied to the detectorists and to the farmer, he didnt get as much as he was promised, so where did the cash go, into some fat scamming slobs pocket that's where, so again metal detectorists are causing their own problems.

but on a lighter note if you live near milford haven, haverfordwest i can get you on some farms if your stuck for land, also newport in gwent i know 6 farmers up that way who will allow you on , as long as its no more than 2 people a time, or if you live further away and just want a days detecting pm me
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:59:34 PM by Neil » Logged

E-Track CTX 3030
waltonbasinman
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »

Thing is Trojan as I said at the start. It is no problem for me as a single detectorist. I have basically got the green light at all farms I have tried as I went to school with most of them, played football with them, drank with them for the best part of thirty years. I live on a small holding in the middle of a farming community on the central Welsh borders where everybody knows everybody. What the fear seems to be is that people they don,t know and I think the fear comes from the large rise in theft in our area when one of the larger farms employed many Eastern Europeans. Two of these were caught in the act but we believe are not the brains in the outfit as the problem has not gone away. It is still the talk of any visit to the pub and we at home have just spent a small fortune upgrading our security. When this problem goes away I believe my neighbours will perhaps open up more but until then I think basically they will think that everyone is casing their property.
win

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 11:19:46 PM »

Ok you can put plenty of thought into your approach to a farmer but sometimes you are bound to get a negative even if you pitch well. Depends what perception a farmer has of us. And it can work the other way. I arrived in a farmyard to ask permission and the farmer was on his mobile to the vet. Two cows had died overnight and he was estimating his loss in ££s and the cost for the vet. No chance here I thought, he's got more important things to worry about, but I waited till he finished, couldn't really walk away. He listened to me, took me out of the farmyard, pointed out 2 stubble fields and wished me a good days detecting ! 
adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »

I found that once you get your first " no sorry" out the way it gets better. You try different approaches and with time you get that big " YES " . It dosen't bother me Knocking doors anymore. I have never had any farmer chase me or swear at me. You treat them as you would like to be treated yourself and have a laugh. What does bother me is I have been to a couple of farms where there is nobody there and doors have been left open and expensive tools littering about.. It only takes the wrong sort but why tempt fate.

Ade
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »

I've thougt the same Ade. I've been to the door a few times, friends and foes, and found no one at home. Just the noisey dogs, not too much of a problem with them. Don't think they would stop a determined thief.
Has to be admitted they leave themselves wide open never mind the doors. Huh
Had a yes for an area of land on condition I showd them the finds, whatever. I've saved everything Shocked and been back a couple of times, they're never in and the door isn't locked 'cause I've stuck my head in and shouted. Huh
Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal