Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fields of Iron  (Read 1762 times)
trojan

« on: November 16, 2010, 11:03:55 AM »

i have posted this on another forum under a different title, but i thought id share my iron experiences here for you guys, its mainly about the quattro lol and what it can really achieve in the right hands.

id like to share my experience with using the Quattro MP for those of you that are being misguided by others when it comes to iron infested fields

first of all, lets talk about farm land, and the iron myths that people are complaining about with the quattro . When you look at a field and think , hmm yer looks good to detect on, as we all do, what we are forgetting, is what actually happened on this field a few hundred years ago..here is an example.
i detect on a farm, that is surrounded by 2 iron age hill forts and 1 huge slate quarry, the field is a lush green pasture field for sheep, grass is nice and low, and the ground is a bit slated as you would expect being next to an old slate quarry, but apart from that, its prime detecting land.
So i start detecting on all metal mode with some descrim in ferrous audio. and im infested with iron, every where i put my coil its iron iron iron , im like wow this is mad so i switch to full all metal mode with no descrim to test this field, and i have proven to myself that this field is pure iron targets, i was a bit curious to this, as on all fields you will always get old farming iron deposits from ploughs and tools etc , but no way near as much as this, the whole field was singing iron. I decided to go and talk to the farmer, as i know this man very well, and his family have been here for hundreds of years, anyway after a cup of tea and some history lessons from the farmer it turned out, that the field was used in the early 1800 as a railway yard for the slate quarry, this explains the iron, but to look at the field you would never in a million years guess that there was any form of building or industry on this field, i was amazed to say the least.

So do i give up or do i work this field, and start a clean up operation to remove the iron, and find the good targets, dam right i do. First thing i did was to go all metal mode no descrim and ferrous audio i walked a section of the field and only dug the large iron targets, i did this for 2 days now all my large iron is out of my sectioned area and im left with the smaller iron targets, still a pain in the butt, however im not worried about them, as i have my quattro, a pure iron eater.

10x14 coil fitted coin and jewellery mode selected activating the "conductive audio" descrim set to reject -10 only, sensitivity set to 18 trash density set to high a quick noise cancel and im ready to tackle this field, a few mins into my session i get a high tone and a low reading i know this is iron, but at the same time i get another highish tone and a high number reading, but its all mixed up with the iron signal, so i do a fast sweep then a series of slow sweeps i change direction over the target turn 90 deg then another 90 deg and slow sweeps, i now know there is something else being masked by a piece of iron, so i dig.and sure enough an old bent iron bolt poped out, i put it in my trash bag, and sweep the hole again and now i have a pristine clear high signal with a 36 number indicator, a musket ball popes out, now my efforts are starting to pay off after 5 hours in this field fighting iron i found 48 musket/pistol balls, George III penny Vicky shilling lots of battered lead a silver spoon thing an old RAOC cap badge 4 Vicky penny's buttons and all sorts, ill attach a pic of the finds from my iron infested field.

so to conclude the myth that the quattro cant handle iron fields is simply that, a myth, its all down to the operator and the operators experience and skill when using a metal detector, in my picture you can see a huge lump of iron, some kind of wedge thing, i found the silver spoon a few inches away from that, the lump of iron was throwing my signals all over the place, but i knew by the double high tone beeps i was getting that there was something else near to it, so i dug out the wedge, and re scanned the area, and thats when i found the spoon. me and my son are off to the same field today, in about an hour, ill post some in the hole pics of finds from this field.

I hope this post is helpful to those of you using a quattro or are thinking of buying one, it really is a trojan horse of a detector, you just need to learn it and understand what its telling you, but most of all stick to your guns and clean ur fields, dont buy a metal detector and walk into a field thinking your gonna strike gold straight away, you have to work it and work it good
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:10:42 AM by trojan » Logged

E-Track CTX 3030
James

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »

well done trojan, i like the spoon  Wink

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!
James

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »

the spoon reminds me of a absinthe spoon, for melting the sugar into your drink, could be wrong though  Smiley

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:41:47 PM »

Good post but I'm a little confused. What is the post claiming. That the Quattro can handle iron infested fields or That the Quattro is a good machine on an iron infested field once most of the iron infestation has been removed in all metal mode. Surely if its the latter, then any machine with an all metal mode function could acheive this. I would have said that the whole point of discriminatory machines is that you dont need to first spend 2 days clearig out all the iron.

I've only been detecting 2 years and cant hope to understand the machines like you guys can so you'll have to excuse my ignorance on these matters.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal