Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales Rally Number 24 - the Chinese and Roman Rally!  (Read 13834 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 31, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »

We gathered bright and early this morning in Cardiff for a return to a farm we visited earlier in the month, and once again it didn't dissapoint.

The clocks went back last night and I expected a few early arrivals, but thankfully we all seem to have remembered. As with many of the rallies this year, there were plenty of newbies, who I hope we all managed to make feel welcome. This included the following Ben Creamer, Dkcrooby, IanJohn12, Marjie, Prism3, Joe, Welshbreed, and Troy Tempest. Welcome to you all and apologies if I missed anyone else out.

Following the usual chat we were let loose on a range of pastures (some new to us, some old) and a few large stubble fields that had previously been cultivated as corn on the cob.

It was a strange start to the Rally, as within a few minutes of the start, an excited Mike was motioning and yelling for me to come over! Mike had a new machine to play with today, and I thought he was going to tell me the coil head had fallen off!  Shocked

That was not the case though, as he was now saying to me "I think my first signal of the day is a gold engagement ring!" He was right as well - it was indeed a gold ring! A bit too muddy to see the hallmark, but definately gold and with plenty of stones - wonder what they will turn out to be? A Hell of a way to pop a new machines cherry, and well deserved for a decent bloke. Well done mate!

I headed off to the stubble fields, which was hard going at first with a few bits of foil in it and really muddy. Once you got past the first stubble field and into the second one it got a lot easier and I started finding coinage including a George III penny, a grotty Roman, Edward half penny and then a 1940 shilling (50/50).

There was pretty much only myself and Staterchaser detecting in this stubble field and he found a decent edward hammered for his perseverance. Well done - and I do agree with what we chatted about that when this is re-ploughed and rolled - it would be a cracking field. The views alone were awesome!

Before I left the field and headed back to my car I chanced upon a Vicky penny literally just sat on the surface.

On the way back to the car, news reached me that Willowtree had found a 9ct gold and silver ring - a great find Chris - you always do well at DW rallies mate. Grin

The most bizzare rally find of the day I happened upon next belonging to my good friend Jeff stock. I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea what its purpose was. Its a woman, its bronze, it has hand made ring and dot motifes on the reverse, she "looks like shes got an age to her!" Wink A really interesting find, that I am sure we will all want to hear more news on.

At the car whilst having a sarnie I found a beaming Nobby who was sporting a stunning Roman Trumpet Brooch with enamel work on it. One of the nicest Roman brooches I have seen on a rally. A beauty of a find for a great DW member.

His sidekick for the day, Prism3user  also had a nice brass weight and a pair of tweezers that reminded me of the ones that stamp collectors use, but may have another use.

Evil Bob or just Bob as everyone bar TaffLaff calls him had a multitude of bits of bronze (I really couldn't see the goat mate!) and a lovely spur rowel.

Everyone seemed to have the usual assortment of buttons, pennies, pre decimals, etc. An interesting Cartwheel penny made into a button surfaced, along with a Newport Fire Service button and various other items. Not long after this a Stair Rod holder turned up - which brought the usual amusement that they always do and the re-telling of the Great Detecting Wales Stair Rod Debate of 2009!

Next I spoke to three seperate DW members all of which were sporting Chinese Cash coins. Really odd and incredibly difficult to date. there was also an Austrian coin found by Pipster to add to the American and Indian coins last time we were here - a truly international field.

The last find I saw before I headed home was a cracker to say the least and took the shape of a Denarii found by Wayno - much to the annoyance of his buddies. It truly is a stunning coin and what made it all the more sweeter is that I believe it was Wayne's first one - his smile was as wide as The Severn! An absolute beauty! Verdict is out on who the wench is, but I am sure Wayno will update us once he's got the books out.

What is astonishing about todays rally is that the gold ring with stones, the Roman trumpet brooch and the denarii all came out of a pasture we all spent several hours in last time - just goes to show a pasture field is never truly done!

One last thing. One of our members who was at the Rally today has been battling a serious illness for the past year and I am happty to tell you, he is winning his battle! It was really good to chat to you today mate and I am so glad you enjoyed your day out! Even if your mate did beat you on the finds front!

Until next time ladies and gent I bid you adieu

Cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:18:30 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:18:32 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 06:20:18 PM »

And Again

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »

And a few more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:23:45 PM »

And again

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »

Oops theres some more!

The copper coin in the bottom photo is a very rare William and Mary coin.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:46:40 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:31:17 PM »

Last few

The first photo is a 1797 Cartwheel Penny thats been modified into a button. Imagine the weight of them on your coat!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:53:25 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »

Sorry, I forgot about these . . . It was getting dark, so the photo quality is not the best on the Denarii - but you get the idea.

Feel free to add your own photos to the thread - I 'm off for a glass of wine or five!

Cheers all
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Stred (Steve)

Explorer XS

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »

Well done guys and a nice report again Neil.

Just enjoy, life\\\'s too short.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »

Great write up as usual Neil, I'm glad it all went well with more great finds coming up. The Roman is Julia Domna 170-217Ad.
Nobby I luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv that brooch, brilliant find.
So that's 5 Chinese coins in two rallies plus the other foreign coins, me thinks some little soul lost their coin collection or their Dads.
Debbie

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »

Fabulous finds guys - from Roman to a decimal one pence  Smiley  Great find Nobby.
Hope someone can identify Jeff's artefact.
Thanks for a great day - just tubes and bits and pieces for Tyna and myself - but looking forward to the next rally. Bring it on Admin  Wink
Deb
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »

Jeff's find is quite tantalising and it would be great to see a shot of it when the mud has been cleaned off. Not sure if it does represent a woman it's quite amorphic.
It is one of those finds that could have a multitude of uses, but as it appears to have broken off at the bottom and with the small size of the crown, it does look a bit like an aestel.  
Thats on the plus side, but there again it could be a poker handle lol
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 07:31:29 PM »

well done everyone, some very nice finds there.
Sorry i couldn't have joined in the fun, I'm paying the price of having a week off and eating things i new i shouldn't have!

Salty Smiley

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »

Thanks team for a great day once again.

Didn't find a lot myself - buttons, coppers and scrap, but enjoyed it as usual.

The hammered is Bury St Edmunds mint and late Edward I or Edward II.

No idea about Jeff's figure - never seen anything like it!
dkcrooby

(Shianne)

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »

Hi,

Here is my find from today. My first rally with my new detector, so I was really pleased when I stumbled across this one. Thanks Casa-Dos (Kev) and farmer(phil) for helping me dig it out Wink. I'm definitely getting a proper spade and a garrett pointer for my next outing.

Shianne
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:50:01 PM by dkcrooby » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal