Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping records  (Read 2500 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: November 30, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »

There have been a couple of threads recently asking how certain members keep a record of their finds and as it is snowing today here, I thought I would bore you with my method.
I have in the past purchased ready made databases for the recording of your finds, all of which have been very good, but through the use of Google Earth all details can be recorded and and if needed shared with an FLO.

Firstly on your site satellite photograph, click on the location of your find, which will zoom in and centre the GE screen over the find spot. Now go to ADD and click on "placemark" this will place a marker on the screen and also give you a information box where you can add further information and name your find.

As more finds are added you may want to add classifications both in adding folders or colour coding by date or type.

If you have an account with an image hosting site such as Photobucket etc you can also add the img code into your information, which will then give you a quick link to a photograph of your find. Also you can add the link to both your UKDFD record or that of the PAS.

Each folder or sub folder can be turned on and off to make searching easier.

Also you can download a plugin from Nearby.org.uk, which will give you the OS grid reference which you can also add to your information.
While all this may seem long winded it is in fact very quick and each item can be added quickly as you find them. These files can be emailed should you wish. and I would recommend, if you have an web based email account Hotmail, Yahoo etc to regularly email the files to yourself. My computer crashed a few weeks ago and I lost all the information, luckily I had sent Tafflaff a copy of my finds so I was able to just reload the sent file.

OH by the way the site pictured doesn't really exist but I have copied the finds from other sites to show how it can work.
I hope it may be of help to some. Good hunting.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:24:58 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Dodger

Badgering away

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »

Nice piece of work that mate. Thanks a lot, will have a go. I downloaded some freeware for recording finds then couldn't open that damn thing! Like your method. Sure that Google Earth gives you the coordinates if you hover over the spot.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »

Unfortunately it only gives you the Long/Lat coordinates and not the ordnance survey national grid, but as I say if you download the centre point plugin you can easily find it.
The secret is to record each find as soon as you've cleaned them, I have left it for a couple of weeks before now and then it becomes a bit of a daunting task.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:08:05 PM »

Well now Geoff that might be the case for you but at the moment I can remember exactly where I found everything.
It's all down to numbers you see. Grin Grin Grin
Praps I'll get to that stage eventually. Roll Eyes

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Roy
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:43:10 AM »

Many thanks for the info and "how to use", will give a go this morning and see if its a lot easier than the old paper method I'm using now,

My teenage son told me at my 43rd birthday 'Dad do you know you are closer to death than being born'...makes you think..... I need to start living and digging bigger holes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal