Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: whats occurring at RARE  (Read 2348 times)
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« on: October 07, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »

What’s occurring with RARE at spaxton oct 3rd
We were sat in our cars at 07.00 , waiting for the coach to arrive at Ponty car-park , watching the rain hammering down ! As we had booked with a different coach company we did’nt know what to expect and up pulled this bus with “Dave’s Coaches” emblazoned on the side . It turned out to be the very one used in the popular TV series “ Gavin + Stacey “ !
On the way to Somerset the rain continued to pour down with a vengeance ,but , as we approached the junction to leave the motorway it stopped and stayed dry for the rest of the day ! Were we lucky or what?
We reported in at the Spaxton Village Hall,where there were loads of cars and people eagerly awaiting the start . In the hall a full English breakfast was available for £3.50 ,  so some of us tucked in and it set us up for the day . A convoy of cars , vans , mini-buses and coaches left for the site,travelling through the lanes and being directed by marshals on the junctions . At the site were toilets and a barbeque area where hot food and drinks were available all day.
Around 130 acres were offered for detecting, pasture , stubble and a couple with longish grass ,  so we set out to the fields of our choice . As usual some of our members were luckier than the others but we all found something of interest .Paul Minton had a Lizzie hammered and two romans , Ann Oxley found a nice horse brass , Mark Harford had a religious type medallion and some coins . Chris Leach was lucky with a William 4th hammered . Brian Mitchell had a good day with a silver thimble, which has gothic type letters on it which may say “regard” and two Viccy halfpennies, one dated 1862 .Mike Coburn found his first William 3rd love token , which he say’s he’s giving to his wife ,  what a romantic ! George Jenkins found a hammered Henry , a religious medallion , a silver spoon and a cartwheel penny .Rod Holt had a worn hammered, various coins and some buckles . Dai Griffiths found a nice jetton , Robert Thomas found a battered hammered , but a hammered none the less , and a musket ball . Norman Gowen had a roman radiate and another religious type medallion, the third of the day , makes you wonder what went on at this site ! Byron Matthews found a cartwheel penny , a large pot-leg and a badge with a crown and VR stamped on it . The usual bits and pieces were found by everyone .
Ian John was having his first try at metal detecting , with a garrett 150 which one of our members had lent him..a very generous gesture by Leighton Poar.
During the afternoon two people were seen lying on the ground digging a very deep hole , at least four feet , in one of the stubble fields ! Spectators were stopping to look into the hole with interest . It turned out to be an aircraft crash-site from WW2 . A cigarette case was also found in the area , but that has to be confirmed as part of the accident , the area was cordoned off by the archaeologist on site .
At the end of the day some of us had our photo taken with our “famous” transport and we made our weary way home, looking forward to the next RARE outing .
Byron Matthews vice-chairman
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:59:54 PM by PHIL YNYSBOETH » Logged

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:02:43 AM »

Ha ha,  thanks for the report Byron at least the rain stopped and some managed to get some nice finds then,
 i should have been there to have my pic taken with the bus, lol  my daughter's boyfriend a=in Cambridge used to think that Barry was a made up place for the programme,  lol
 Alan

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »

Great report Byron !!
Looked like you all had a good Day !
You was very lucky to dodge the weather

Sorry i couldnt Join you for this one

All the best
Phil

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: