Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal detector man finds Welsh Iron Age treasure  (Read 4125 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 03, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »

Metal detector man finds Iron Age treasure
Jun 3 2006 Gareth Rogers, South Wales Echo

Metal detector man discovers Iron Age treasures

A treasure hunter has uncovered priceless jewellery dating back to the Iron age at a South Wales farm.

Brian Gibbison, 43, found the prehistoric bronze collar and bracelet with his metal detector at a farm in the Vale of Glamorgan - just a year after starting his metal- seeking hobby. He has now handed his precious find over to the National Museum of Wales after a Cardiff inquest heard it had proved officially to be treasure.

The French polisher, from Barry, said: 'This is my best find ever. It was really exciting.

'This is why I spend so much of my time looking for these sorts of things at weekends.'

An inquest has to be held when objects are found that are valuable and when any owners cannot be traced.Under the coroner's rules, an item which is proved to be more than 300 years old and containing a substantial amount of precious metal is declared to be national treasure and handed to the Crown.

Once designated treasure, the item is usually given to a museum for safe keeping and the finder will receive a reward. Mr Gibbison said: 'It is impossible to put a price on it because it is so old. That is up to the museum now.'

The collar, decorated with an enamel design, is a neck ornament normally found in western Britain and dating to around 50AD, shortly before the Roman conquest of South Wales.

The matching bracelets found with the collar are from the same era.

National Museum of Wales curator Adam Gwilt said: 'This is a set of high prestige ornaments, and is a significant discovery for the Iron Age of Wales.

'It helps us understand the styles and identity of the tribes who lived through this time of cultural conflict with the Romans.'

Other hauls in the inquest, held yesterday, included 19 bronze artefacts dating from 950BC, which included sword fragments, socketed axes, a winged axe, a 16th- Century silver gilt pinhead and a silver Medieval brooch from the 13th Century, which were all found at farms across the Vale of Glamorgan using metal detectors.

A National Museum spokeswoman confirmed they would take ownership of all of the items and keep them at Cathays Park, Cardiff.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »

Hi Neil

Thanks for posting these Items
They all make fastinating reading but i am a jealous lol
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:24:24 PM »

Nice one Neil, I must go out more often.
One day that might be my name in the press   Smiley

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
Nick
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »

They are in the National Museum of Wales for all to see. Drooling................

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal