Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Treasure Process and Its frailties.  (Read 1113 times)
waltonbasinman
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:14:56 PM »

Recent events of Treasure and the treasure Trove process have made me think long and hard about the whole treasure process. The Saxon Staffordshire Hoard at one end of the scale and our own Rob Tafflaffs Templar ring have both been huge finds especially in understanding and forwarding our understanding of History. Two metal detectorists with a passion for the hobby who showed a willingness to abide by the Law and look how they have been rewarded. I know Rob thinks like me and is keen on the PAS which I still am.But why are honest detectorists treated like this. On an open market I feel a value for both finds would bear no resemblance to the rewards they receive and Kevs post on the Torc has re ignited my feelings on the subject. OK it is not just about the value and I get excited finding Viccy Coppers so heaven knows what I would be like if I found something really valuable. But I am sure the more we get treated like this the more the hobby will be alienated from the Archaeology side of  things and be honest would it make you think twice if you find a ground breaking find. On the other hand is this what the establishment want. Would us being treated like this become fuel for the fire in their eyes. It should not be Us and Them. It should be all but It is a long way off. Would you agree.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:31 PM »

Yes I agree. Valuations seem most unfair. There is also another side to the story that perhaps most never consider, if they know about it at all. The Farmers side of the tale is just as sad. I have permission to detect on 2 farms with 1 more in the offing. My 1st farm has a Roman road running through it and I have a copy of the Archies report. I was amazed at the limitations and demands they put on the land owner re. listed areas. These include repair, maintenance and upkeep of buildings not used for generations, limitations on use of fields and the list goes on and on.
It has made me think carefully about what I would do 'IF' I ever found anything of real importance. I think I would honour the Farmers wishes in this matter. He has a very hard living to make and most of them are small farms.
I, like you get  just as big a kick out of finding small pieces of our history. Today I found a battered piece of pewter spoon and that spoke volumes to me, it also proved my reseach was sound. What more could you want?  (A GOLD COIN  Roll Eyes)

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal