Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales Rally Number Twenty Two - The Silver Joeys rally . . .  (Read 21017 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: September 26, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »

DetectingWales.com held its first Cardiff based rally today in glorious sunshine with around 50 members attending.

When we arrived at the farm I noticed a large area of stubble which didn't belong to our farmer, but I thought there was no harm in asking if we could use it. A phone call later by the very friendly farmer and BINGO we have his pastures plus some stubble over the road. A good result.

Great to see loads of new faces once again in the form of ALG3151, Cardiff Nights, Grim Reaper, JRD, Llew5551, Mark Wilde, Mick, Pete, The Raptor, Small Stack, Tallman Nick, The Big Ox, TheTreeRat and others I may have forgotten! Also it was as usual a pleasure to see lots of more seasoned members.

We added a new addition to our rally today in the shape of Marshall Vests courtesy of Mike - cheers mate! Smiley the idea is not necessarily to "police the rallies" but just to be there if someone needs a hand or some advice. The farmer was particularly happy with this, and thought it a good idea as the guys would also tidy up any messy holes. Of which I personally found very few - which was great news as he has lots more land for us to visit another day.

Following a quick go here go there and a great impromptu Historical Overview by Paul we were off.

The first find of note fell to Paul and was one for him to cross off his list in the form of a barrel key.

Next came the ever reliable Doc with bizzarely an American silver half dime. Just to prove how expert he is at findings all things silver he promptly followed it with a hammered and then taught us all another lesson by turning up by my side with yet another hammered coin still in the soil! Well done mate -  a hat trick!

Dai was getting in on things about this time by producing two Roman coins - one of which showing Romulus and Remus suckling on the she wolf. Should clean up nicely.

Not to be outdone I was busy making a find of my own in the shape of a silver engraved end from a cheroot. A device used for holding cigarettes or cigars.

Steven King then arrived with a cracking peacock livery button. I then bumped into Melonhead sporting a couple of silvers and Casa Dos with a love token.

I popped back for a bite and was greeted by Nomad with a Charles II silver coin with a hole in it and his mate who had a peculiar round thing with something engraved in the middle and engraved round it. Possibly a guard off a fencing foil.

There was also a ring floating around and a bit of speculation about its age.

Then the joeys {Chef is shouting at this point "They are not joeys"!}started to arrive as nearly everyone seemed to have one that I spoke to!

The find of the day next beconed in the form of a beauty of a bronze seal. The symbol and legend surrounding it should all be legible once the owner has carefully cleaned it off. He's planning on doing a before and after picture and showing the wax imprint, which we will all look forward to.

More finds materialised including 2 Half Crowns, a contemporary George III forgery found by Nobby, Richard had a silver book hinge and Sue with a vicky 6 pence.

I headed into another part of the stubble field and got that "Its on top of the soil" signal and looking down saw staring back at me a 1889 Vicky Shilling just sat there all beit a bit muddy. A few minutes later I also joined the "Joey Club" with one myself dated 1879.

Numerous other finds materialised as they always do including copper coins of William III onwards, musket balls, thimbles, horse bridal bits and all the normal odds and sods.

One of the nicest condition thimbles I have seen appeared in silver with its hallmarks loud and proud.

Back at base camp there was a Georgian toy cannon, a curious coin which may be a gaming piece a silver Victorian brooch, medieval buckles, cap badges, Chinese money, Sue's porcelain egg and a nice commerative medal of Victoria found by Kevin. Oh and yet more joeys!

Apparently a nice French hammered coin about the size of a groat and a Lizzy hammered turn up also. I missed thesebut Taff Laff got some photos so they are sure to follow.

I headed home happy and shattered leaving a big group chatting and a few stragglers still in the fields. I made it 21 silver items in total that I personally saw - so I dare say there were a few more, as even I couldn't speak to everyone! Grin

Roast dinner time now.

Until the next occasion I see you in a field.

cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 03:08:17 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »

No replies yet please - loads more to come!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »

And again . . .

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »

Again

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 06:13:55 PM »

You still comfy?

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 06:16:09 PM »

Nowhere near finished yet!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:29:51 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 06:17:56 PM »

More
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:30:17 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 06:20:05 PM »

And still more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »

Nearly there  . . .
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:34:25 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 06:24:20 PM »

The end for now!

More photos to come from Rob.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:35:32 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 06:41:10 PM »

Dont know if this helps with reading the seal this is mirrored and colours inversed....Any takers ?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 06:52:43 PM »

What an excellent collection of finds , sorry i had to leave 5 minutes into the rally, work beckoned, never mind, at least i left all them lovely items for you to find , well done all.

Roll on Rooksbridge ,,, come on Rob get the list up.

BETTER THE HUNTER THAN THE HUNTED
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »

Great write up as usual Neil, It was a great rally with a really good atmosphere, Fab weather and some really good finds. Although the only thing I found was that a bolt had detached itself from my starter motor and the lads had to give me a push to getting started for home (getting embarrassing now as that's the 2nd time).

It was intriguing that both Casa and Melonhead had Chinese coins and then from a similar area, Wendover had his disc that I immediately thought looked Japanese, but now after the coin find would appear to be Chinese and the pattern does resemble the story on a Willow pattern eg 2 lovers running away and eventually turning into birds.

Just looking forward to the next rally in 2 weeks time when I shall be on home turf and hoping for a rerun of Rooksbridge 1, just got to avoid the gypsy curse Shocked

PS THEY ARE STILL NOT JOEYS lol
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:17:06 PM by Chef (Geoff II) » Logged
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »

Just like to add that both Parki John and Napoleon had identical bronze (rare) Roman(?) steelyard weights.  Well done both.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal