Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: DetectingWales.com - Rally Number Two Caerleon 14/03/09 Report & Photographs!  (Read 21347 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: March 14, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »

Once again the Clans were summoned to a location near the famous Roman town of Caerleon. We had DetcetingWales.com members present from Swansea, Llanelli, RARE, SCAN, Hereford and Bristol all attending under the one banner. Long may it last!

The day started early with a few arriving at the farm at 8.30am. Those lucky few were then treated to the pleasure of pushing Geoff Admin out of the parking field as he got stuck Grin (I somehow managed to get splattered by mud for the second Rally in a row - there's a theme building here! Grin)

Everyone parked up as directed and then formed an orderly registrating queue with a total of 50ish Detecting Wales users attending. Thanks for supporting the website go to one and all. Flags were placed in fields, and following a quick gathering to explain the fields, taking rubbish home and filling holes (2 Rallies in a row not a single problem - well done everyone!), we were off!

People headed in different directions as we had two huge stubble fields and a couple of big pastures dotted over a very large farm. The first find I came across of any note was The Hoover with a Candian 1850's penny in lovely condition, this was followed soon after by I think by Millsy with a george V shilling.

I then had an excited Borderfox summoning me from a distance with a Half Crown of Charles 1st in his hand. Problem was he thought that it may have been a contemporary forgery, as a core was showing through and it appeared to be plated! The weight didn't really feel correct either for such a large coin. Later on someone mentioned that it could have been an emergency tin & silver issue. The jurys out at the moment - it remains to be seen, but a lovely find all the same. Well done mate!

The next finds of note I saw was a couple of silver threepences belonging to Richard from Llanelli and our host TaffLaff (Rob). A sixpence found by Debbie and her hound dog, and a couple of post 1920 shillings.

My finds at this point amounted to a George II penny, a Vicky, spindle whorl and then an old piece of worked bronze that reminds me of a Roman key - any ideas anyone? I detected the morning headphoneless due to me losing the jack for my cheapies (I have 2 pairs being repaired). CasaDos kindly stepped in and lent me his backups - cheers mate - I appreciated it.

Heading back to the car I found a starving Digger (Stan - whos food was locked in my boot) in posession of a Henry (VII or VIII) hammered half groat that was a bit battered but a nice find and his second successive hammered on our rallies!

I also saw Phil Ynysboeth who had found a mini Roman hoard! Well two coins to be precise! Wink Well done mate - virtually the only Roman I saw all day.

Having duly overdosed on black coffee, I was next detecting alone on the stubble by the car park when Mickey Coin called me over to tell me that a cracking Mary Groat had been found! What a beauty it was - well done HedgeHog - the best profile I have seen on a coin found at any Rally. you must be really pleased with it. Congratulations.

As if that wasn't enough, rumour then got to me that Ancient Pat had found a gold ring! Not gold two rallies running surely? But, true enough Pat had found a beautiful 22ct band - looks late Victorian to me. A lovely find for a really nice guy - well done!

Just to complete the day - as I was packing away I heard that James2nd (his username) had also found a hammered groat - this time we think of James 1st and dated 1606 - how apt! 

The day was over and we drove home to the news that Wales were losing to Italy - I won't tell you the final score just in case you haven't seen it! Grin

Well Done Rob for getting the site and arranging the glorious weather for us! Wink In all seriousness without people like Rob and Altinkum (last month) we would struggle to have rallies. Two people (you know who you are) approached me about more proposed Rallies and it all sounds very promising. Geoff or I will be in touch lads - thanks for sorting that out, its what we need to keep progressing as we are.

Hope you all enjoyed the day.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:23:09 PM »

Shilling, Charles 1st

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:24:36 PM »

Threepences, hound dog, stan hammered

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:28:21 PM »

Sorry Stan's hammered is in this one. The previous one has my bronze lopped bit.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:29:26 PM »

Mary groat found by Hedgehog

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »

Ancient Pats gold ring.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:32:15 PM »

Janes2nd's James 1st Groat!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 07:35:37 PM »

blimey,  that Kane is getting younger and younger,  how do he do it   Grin

altinkum

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 07:46:21 PM »

some nice find's and the weather was lovely. well done to all the organiser's. how does boarder fox find anything every photo you see him in he's talking to someone?  mike

explorers, my arse
silverhand

but it was there a minute ago

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »

looks like you had some good finds  and a good day hope you have another soon please

hammerd this year 0
hammerd last year 1

overall targets looks like i need to find more hammerd coins
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 07:52:47 PM »

Great report and photos neil .great rally very enjoyable even if i drew a blank,never mind maybe next time.All thanks go to the organizers for another well run affair! Grin Wink

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »

Nice follow up and pics neil how do you find time to detect. Cheesy Grin
Ian.

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »

From left to right . Bymatt666 (Byron) , George (Jenks) , Ian , Tafflaff (Rob), Phil_ynysboeth , Saxon , Viking.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 08:43:06 PM »

many thanks for another well organised and social rally !!

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 08:43:31 PM »

if the devil could cast his net Tongue ::)above picture
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:55:29 PM by Ian (Gadget) » Logged

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal