Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal detecting pensioner finds Wales' oldest Roman coin  (Read 3256 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 03, 2008, 11:07:16 AM »

A METAL detecting enthusiast has unearthed a Roman coin thought to be one of the oldest ever found in Wales.
Retired butcher Roy Page, 69, of Coedpoeth, found the detailed 2,000-year-old coin on a farm near St Asaph when he went on a search there with the Mold-based Historical Search Society.

Roy handed the tiny silver coin to the Portable Antiquities Scheme, who identified it as dating from the second century BC.

It is believed to have been brought over some time after the Roman invasion of Britain in 43 AD, or during earlier visits in the first century BC.

Roy, who has been metal detecting for five years, said: "The person who held the coin was probably a Roman.

"When he told me I nearly fainted, I was over the moon. I was told by an expert in our group that it could be the oldest coin found in Wales.
"It shows how far the Romans came into this country.

"It is living history. I suppose the way I feel is how you would feel if you won the pools.

"When you look at a map of where old coins have been found in Wales there have not been many found around St Asaph."

The coin depicts two horses being driven by a man on a chariot.

Roy routinely puts in 10 hours of metal detecting a week using his computerised Minelab X Terra metal detector, which can differentiate between metals.

Roy was making his way to his car for a drink when the familiar high pitched bleep started up, signifying a coin.

Roy said: "I flipped the soil back and it was there, only six inches down.

"I was thirsty and so I popped it in my pocket with my other finds."
Roy says he is not interested in the value of the coin, taking pleasure from simply having found it.

He said: "That is the first thing people ask me, how much it is worth.

"I haven't even bothered to find out."

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
KenKelowna

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 02:06:50 AM »

Neil
Great story.
The real value is in the finding of the coin, I know the feeling.

Tesoro Gold Star Dealer.

I not only sell Tesoro, I use them.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:50:47 AM »

yeah your right too Ken,  any values rarely comes to mind for me, its the excitment of finding these things from our past for me.
i my first republican is 119 years b.c., i didn't think about any value for ages after till people kept asking me,  lol
 Cheers Now
      Alan
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 11:05:23 AM by Al.Thepastfinder » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal