Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Next upgrade - which Minelab?  (Read 9681 times)
JRD

« on: September 20, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »

Hey all was unsure wether to post this here or in the Minelab section but here goes....

I am fairly new to this game and have been using a Garrett Ace 250 for the last couple of months and not really found much to get excited about  Embarrassed

But I am already thinking about upgrading the 250 as I am getting more serious and obsessive about 'tecting. Yes I know it's a great little starting machine but I feel I am already outgrowing it. I have been doing a fair bit of research and quite like the look of the Minelab machines.

From what I can see the E-Trac looks a bit too daunting for my limited experience and thus I don't think I am ready for such a machine. So I have narrowed my choice down to the following (in order of my current preference to where my heart is swaying!):-

Minelab Explorer SE pro
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra-705

Obviously there are 3 distinct price brackets here (although price is not my main concern). I was wondering if anyone had any clear reasons which machine would be best to go for?

As mentioned I am fairly new to this game but not afraid to learn with the right machine (E-Trac a little too steep a learning curve though!). I want an all round maching that is suitable for both land and beach and something that will actually start turning up some decent finds with greater stability and more depth that the Ace 250.

As hinted above I am kind of swaying towards the SE pro but not sure if it's right for me at this stage and warrents the extra money over the Safari? But then again I don't want to be thinking of upgrading again anytime soon so I want a future proof machine that will last me a couple of years.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Preferences? and any help that may sway me to one of the above?

Thanks all,
Jonathan

wyrd bið ful aræd - Fate is inexorable
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »

JRD , Dont let the Etrac worry you fella. The  Etrac is not as confusing as some would have you believe. I went from a Whites DFX to the Etrac. Granted the first few times out I was scratching my head and getting splinters , but honestly the etrac is a doddle compared to my DFX. Once youre set up its switch on and go.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:21:42 PM »

Why a minelab , i've just bought the new Teknetics g2 its set up for Euro conditions, worth looking into other makes , its is all according how much you want to spend

BETTER THE HUNTER THAN THE HUNTED
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:33:55 PM »

Hi again JRD.
OK firstly,  if you can put one foot in front of the other then you can use the Etrac, The SE Pro is, I believe more difficult to get to know for a relative newcomer and even this only takes a few weeks.
The Safari is a lovely machine, but is a halfway house and on paper gives no better performance than the Xterra 705 which in itself is a lovely light machine and is a joy to use and has made some lovely finds not least by myself.
So my recommendations would be either the Xterra 705/505 or the Etrac.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:37:56 PM by Chef (Geoff II) » Logged
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »

Is it 6volts , i haven't read that anywhere?, mind you , i also couldn't find what batteries it takes.

Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »

Hi JRD
I echo Geoff's sentiments the x-terra 705 is a super machine, I also have had some super finds, Are you at the rally on Sunday if so I will bring the 705 for you to try for the day
Pipster

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »

Is it 6volts , i haven't read that anywhere?, mind you , i also couldn't find what batteries it takes.

4 normal AA batteries Mike

Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:21 PM »

where did you read this Taff , i have researsced the machine and i can't find any mention

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »

http://www.metaldetectorshop.co.uk/shopping_cart/metal-detectors/teknetics-metal-detectors/teknetics-t2-metal-detector/prod_61458.html

Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 08:57:21 PM »

Ok taff its the same as the T2, so it must be okay , i am relieved

JRD

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »

Hi all - thanks for the replies thus far.

Mmm! food for thought! I thought the E-Trac was hardcore and difficult to master, it's interesting Geoff that you say the SE Pro is more difficult and the Safari is not good as the 705 - that's really upset my plans lol  Grin

The 705 tho has this got all the Full Band Spectrum (FBS) like the SE? This feature sounds quite impressive?

Thanks Phil I am at the rally Sunday so would appreciate a quick demo and if anyone else has any of the other Minelabs mentioned also I could have a look at at would be most helpful.

So the E-Trac or 705 then? Anyone else with any other views? Anyone recommend the SE pro or Safari?

Thanks all,
Jonathan

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »

JRD I'm using my Etrac and youre welcome to have a go of that if you like. I do more talking than detecting anyway, so someone may as well make use of the machine...  Grin

JRD

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 09:18:17 PM »

Thanks Rob and Phil - that will make choosing easier

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »

JRD there is nothing wrong with the SE in fact I love them but the Etrac is just a newer version of the explorer series and is just a bit more stable and user friendly.
No the Xterra is not FBS but has changeable frequencies by the use of different coils. The Xterra isn't better than the Safari it is about the same.
JRD

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »

Thanks Geoff sound, clear advice as always - appreciate it mate.

Swaying now back to the E-Trac much to the wife's amusement! (No love I promise I won't spent £1000+ on a new machine)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:40:22 PM by JRD » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal