Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 10MP camera for coin photos?  (Read 8904 times)
yankee
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »

I just bought a 10MP digital camera with 4 times zoom with a 8GB storage card. Will this camera be able to take good and clear closeups of my coin finds? Also, at the highest resolution how many photos will a 8GB SD card hold?  the camera also has a  macro  feature THANKS! ??   Polaroid i1035 Digital Camera
The Polaroid i1035 10 MP Digital Camera brings you a bright 3.0-inch LCD display so you can review with clarity. The Polaroid i1035 Digital Camera offers two types of zoom: optical zoom and digital zoom. The Polaroid i1035 Digital Camera's optical zoom alters the focal distance, and its factor range is 1X to 3X. Digital zoom is activated after you reach the maximum optical zoom(3X). The Polaroid i1035 Digital Camera enlarges the part of the image at the center of the screen. Digital zoom factor range is 1X to 4X. These zoom features let you zoom in the central area of an image and photograph only the enlarged portion of the picture.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:33:04 AM by yankee » Logged
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »

should be fine .. i use my camera  on macro mode to get best results of close up stuff !!

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »

yankee  i have a 5 megapixel camera  and on high setting with a 512 card  it will hold about 140 pics   hope this helps

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
yankee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:32:35 PM »

Let me clarify my question! With the settings on my new camera shown here in this photo please tell me how many photos I can fit on a 8GB memory card. THANKS![/img]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:34:47 PM by yankee » Logged
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 03:16:19 PM »

I think the filesize for the finest resolution will be about 10 MB, so you should get about 800 on an 8GB card.
Charles Cater

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 03:39:06 PM »

Hello Yankee,
It all depends upon how much resolution you use in getting picture numbers on to your card.
For instance, if your resoulution is 640 x 420 you will get far more pictures on your card than at, say, 2272 x 1704.
It is all down to the amount of pixels.

You have got a good camera at 10 Mps than mine at 5 but for closeups I took some really good pics with a 2 Mps camera when they first came out but was limited at long distance for clarity

The pic you see below was the first I ever took with a 2 Mps camera but when I came to enlarge it then it was terrible.
I always now take large ones in macro, they can always be reduced if required.

By the way, if you are to print them then save them on your desktop in TIFF format first, when you have finished printing them out save them in JPG, this way it will reduce the Mgps down to Kbps.

TIFF are massive and can be as much a 1.5 or even 2 MPS big and for storage you don't want them that size.

Anyway, that is what I do.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:53:43 PM by Charles Cater » Logged

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
yankee
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »

Thanks for all the good info. given here! My laptop has a 1TB enterprise class hard drive in it so I expect I will have lots of storage for all my photos for years to come! I recomend these 1TB 10,000 rpm hard drives the price is realy cheep at least here in the U.S.! Its great haveing more storage space then NASA does!
Charles Cater

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »

The problem with putting all your pics on computer is that if it crashes you lose them all. All of mine, including family portraits are on a 2 Mb stick, that way they are safe.
I am with British Telecom for my broadband and they give almost unlimited space to store photographs so we have a choice.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:58:38 AM by Charles Cater » Logged

Malcolm.mtts

Every Day is a Lovely Day

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »

The main problem with large Megapixel cameras is that most people have absolutely no idea of what it does in reality... but it sounds good to own one.

Taking photographs large MegaPixel cameras results in the photograph being far too large to display on a computer monitor unless it is resized or the picture is taken as a jpeg image which actually defeats the object of having such a camera unless you require professional pictures with fantastic detail and have the right programs to resize the photograph to suit your requirements.

By all means take 8 MB or larger pictures but remember that these size pictures can take ages to print even after you resize them, they use larger quantiies of ink and take up lots of space on your computer.

On top of this they can be an absolute nightmare if you want to send them as an email because of the time it takes to send, the receiver will not be able to view it on their monitor unless they are preapred to scroll up, down sideways and never see the complete picture unless they resize it etc which as we all know is a pain in the butt when we receive such a picture.

Even if you use a large MP camera and take pics as jpeg image it still uses up a lot of memory which again can be a pain to email to someone and often exceed the limits on their inbox.

Who on earth wants to save a picture 3264 x 2448 for example unless they have an absolutely huge computer monitor or 42inch TV to view it on without having to resize it?

Even if they take that same picture and save it as a jpeg image it would probably be around 2.5 Mb in size and saving these will soon eat up space on your hard drive.

For an ordinary person wanting good quality photographs to view on a computer monitor taking photographs at 3MP is good enough and  can give good results when printed.

Another thing you should remember is the larger the MP you take photographs at reduces the number of pics you can save on your memory card.

As examples .. if you use a 1 GB memory card.

Using 7 MP ... size 3072x 2304 pixels .... 270 pictures can be saved on card

Using 3 MP  ... size 2048x1536 pixels  ....1180 picures can be saved on card

Another thing to remember is to set your camera to suit your monitor otherwise you may get distortion when displayed on your screen. Nothing worse than getting a picture which is squashed to fit making things look skinny or elongated making people etc look fat and smaller than in reality. Use 16:9 for widescreen and 4:3 for ordinary monitors or TV's.

One way of saving space etc on your computer, especially if you do not wants to print them out later as highly professional photographs,  is to download your pictures... look at them.. select the ones you want to keep and save them in jpeg format.. this will  result in the picture still being a good quality to view on your monitor, give good quality pictures if printed on A4 photograph paper and only take up Kb instead of Mb on your hard drive.

If you want professional photographs printed, just download the pic in it's original MB size, resize the picture to suit your paper and set your printer accordingly.

Same as detectors.... learn how to use your equipment for best results.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:59:29 PM by Malcolm.mtts » Logged

Every Day is a Lovely Day
Charles Cater

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »

All good advice Malcolm, thanks.

piker
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »

i got one of those usb microscopes for crimbo,

fantastic bit of kit.  treat yourselfs
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 12:46:09 AM »

glad you said about the usb  microscopes piker, seen it in the treasure hunt my ladyfriend want to get it for me for my birthday in may . Grin
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 07:09:53 AM »

Hi all

Im looking for a new to me mobile phone (dont see the point in buying new just to trash it while detecting)
At the moment ive got a 1.3 mp camera phone with a micro memory card and adapter to fit my 3 in 1 cannon printer i enjoy taking  and printing snap shots mostly i use my scanner for close ups of coins ect.
I find the quality just isnt there for printing with a 1.3 mp camera.
5 MP Camera Phones used to be the top of the range but 10 MP Camera phones are on the market now.

The question im asking is ..whats the lowest MP i cant get away with for good quality Prints (camera Phones)

any help would be great !

regards Phil Jones
waltonbasinman
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »

5 mp should give you excellent quality pictures Phil.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 06:22:41 AM »

Thank for the info Paul Ive just bought a good 5mp Camera phone on ebay ;0)
I wont have to take a digi camera and a phone out detecting now

all the best
Phil

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal