Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weatherproofing Detectors  (Read 2954 times)
Nick
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »

Just a thought, looking ahead to tomorrows rally with the wet weather forecast. Not having really used my detector (Explorer SE) in the rain, how weatherproof are they ?

Do any of you have some tips about weatherproofing as the headphone jack socket looks a bit vulnerable to me.

Any advice most welcome.

Nick
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »

I cant remember on which site i first got this from, but as you say the weak point of the explorers and Etrac's is the jack. Take a small baloon and push the jack plug half way in through the opening, now cut off the tip of the ballon and fold the baloon back up the phone lead, plug in to your detector and pull the baloon back down and stretch over the end of the detector. It sounds wierd i know, but it does work.

Chef
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:35:58 PM »

HI Nick

Water and damp can be a problem with the Explorer
as i know for experience

I havent gone down the road of using sealant on the seams of my EXP as i think this would effect the resale value if you couldnt totally remove it

I know a lot of EXP users make little plastic hats out of small coke bottles for the Headphone socket but i use little plastic bags (dog poo, sandwich bags are ideal )  and a strong rubber  band.
Just bend the headphone lead downwards and put the bag over the top and secure with a rubber band.

The standard contol box covers is ok for light drizzle or mist so they say but in my experience you sould try and keep water out whenever its present.

I some times use small sandwich bags from asda they slip over the control box then i put the control box cover over the top to keep the bag on and as an added bit of water proofing.
I have used cling film over the box in the past and that works very well, tightly wrap cellotape around top and bottom so it cant work loose
When you get the detector home after a soaking even if you dont clean it make sure it has a chance to dry out,
Few months ago i left my detecter over night in the bag with a dripping wet coat only to find in the morning condencation under the screen and no power when i tried to start it up,
luckly half an hour on a  warm radiator sorted it out .

Another tip im not 100% sure if this would effect an Exp but its something ive learnt with other detectors
never carry our detector with the coil higher then the control box, water can travel down the shaft and into the electics.

Hope this is of some help,
im sure other forum member have got some good tips too

All the best
Phil Jones
Dont forget to say Hi !

Nick
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »

Thanks for your replies, some good ideas there, worth thinking about.

Nick

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal