Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting Wales Rally Number 19 - The Celtic Rally  (Read 20392 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 15, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »

Detectingwales.com stretched its fingers further into England today to a new area for us that was Ludlow. We attracted members from far and wide including Bangor, St Davids, Bristol, Hereford, Swindon and Birmingham. Great to see so many of you there today and a big welcome to lots of new faces including Aikonbiz, Artex, Bengo, Bobbles, Burt, Darren Jones, DB4, Jerry, Mandy, John F, Macen Wledig, Mooty, NL08 Rob, Nonker10, Daryll, Grunt, Jane and all the others I have forgotten. Great for you to join us and meet you in the flesh guys!

A few of us met up the night before at a local campsite to cut a few hours off the journey,and spent the night talking detecting, eating Chinese food {thanks Rob}, watching shooting stars (not the version with Ulrikaaa} and watching Paul put up his camp bed for an hour or so!

Off to the site nice and early after a brief panic over Rob losing his keys, and amusing our fellow campers by running up and down the campsite pushing Chefs car! Flat battery! Got it started in the end and the day started even better for Pipster who found a £20 note in a puddle - the day would get even better for him, but more about that later.

We met up with the charming farmer and he informed us which fields we could have, put some signs up, tables for the FLO's, table for food and bins (as suggested by Richard at the last rally} for rubbish. Did the usual go here, go there, followed by an excellent overview of the area by Paul - thanks mate a very informed speech. Then we were off!!!

My second hole of the day rewarded me with an item I have been after since I started detecting. A common find for some, but not for me. I have found umteen copper and even brass ones before but never a silver thimble. It was hallmarked as well and dates to the 1850's thanks to a report from the FLO's.

I am not really sure how to report on this rally as I never saw everything in chronological order, as things were being left with the FLO's for recording.

The first person I came across in the field had an Edward hammered, a George III sixpence and a silver joey. I next saw Casa Dos at some point with a nice James Ist hammered coin with a small hole in it. Great to see you back on the road to recovery mate with a lovely coin - well done!Another chap had a silver decorated thimble that was quite ornate. Another hammered coin of Elizabeth by someone - I forget who and then I was summoned over to Roman Ray and Pipster.

They both called me over from about half the length of the field. Upon reaching them Pipster said "Whats this mate?" I thought bloody hell I've walked all this way to see a door knob! Then he swapped hands and presented me with what at first looked like a cut half still in the soil. On closer inspection I could see it was in fact a full hammered sixpence folded in the soil. Phil was over the moon and rightfully so as it was his first decent hammered. Really pleased for you matey - well done. your smile was worth the walk alone.

Next I saw a chap with a Half Crown of Edward and a silver joey and was told by someone nearby that a stater had turned up! I presumed it was a joke or one of those detecting rumours that occasionally circulate. But in fairness I was wrong and a full stater had indeed been found!

Earlier in the morning I was doing the enrolment sign up and a chap called Staterchaser was next in line. When he said his name I replied jokingly "Do you ever find them?" and he replied "Yeah occasionally" Well this was another occasion for him, as he had indeed found a cracking gold stater.

I tried to head back to the FLO table to see it but was waylayed by talk of another celtic coin -surely not two on a rally? There it was though in the hand of a smiling Ecopain and consisting of a silver unit. A cracking find from a seperate field on the farm - well done! It certainly looked like the Celts were about.

Just to prove it when I got back to base, Peter showed me a Celtic Terret Ring that had been found by I think Jane - another stunning find and what was annoying was we all knew the other half of it was somewhere out there in the field. Did anyone find it?

Just to keep the ball rolling someone popped up with a Bronze Age gouge - Identified correctly by our very own TaffLaff. A nice find and the second one we have had on a DW rally.

Numerous other finds including William III, Georgie, Vicky coppers, pot legs, buckles, musket balls, spindal whorls, buckles, etc turned up as they always do. The nicest and earliest buckle I saw though belonged to Chef and would have had a plate attached to it - definately early medieval - shame the plate was missing though.

The last find I saw before I headed home to a chicken dinner again fell to Staterchaser and stinks of Medieval. Reminds me of a galley penny - but its not currency. No idea what it is but the legend may help enlighten us.

I am sure there were plenty of other finds I missed so feel free to add yours to this post. A great day out with lovely company and no stress - its how detecting should be. See you all at the next one.

A big thank you goes to Peter Revell and his fellow FLO as well as Rob and Paul for arranging the site - well done guys. and of course Geoff Admin without who we wouldn't be doing this.

Laters
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:51:16 PM »

Some more finds from Ludlow

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:53:04 PM »

They keep coming

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »

A few more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »

Still going! Shocked

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »

I hope you are enjoying these - the FLo's recorded over 70 items today!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »

mrs h got another general service button as well.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 09:00:06 PM »

Still more!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Stred (Steve)

Explorer XS

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »

Great report Neil, shame I could not get there, will be on the next one.

Well done guys and girls on your finds.

Steve

Just enjoy, life\\\'s too short.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:02:55 PM »

And again . . .

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »

Not finished yet Stred! Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:28:46 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »

The Find of the Day!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:29:26 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »

WOW ! Shocked Shocked
Silver units,gold stators  Grin Grin

looks like another DW rally success ;0)
well done Rob and the team !
wayno

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »

Really nice finds Today.I really enjoyed the day out meeting yet more members.

lots of nice finds especially that  Roll Eyes GOLD STATER WOW.

At least i can now say that i have held one thanks to the finder.

Good Report as usual Neil Well Done

Thanks

Wayno (wayne)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:35:47 PM by wayno » Logged

2014 using ctx3030  TIMES OUT -12
Hammered --6
Gold rings --3
 Other rings 1                   
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: