Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting Wales Rally Number 18 - the Roman Fibulas Rally.  (Read 8257 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 07, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »

Detecting Wales members old and new headed towards Chepstow today to revisit a farm we went to last season in search of what the Romans may have left behind. It was great to see so many of the new members who after a few minutes were all chatting away with other DW members like long lost pals. Its what we try to encourage at DW and it certainly was working.A particular Welcome to Spooty Van and his good lady who had travelled all the way from the Isle of Man - great to put your face to your  name and of course you are more than welcome any time mate.

It was an early start and after the usual chat and fields clarification we were off with a choice of stubble or pasture.

The first find of the day fell to Shungav in the form of a Charles copper in lovely condition - not sure I have ever seen a nicer one. He quickly followed this with a nice fibula probably from the 2nd to 3rd Century with its spring still intact.

Shortly after I bumped into another of our new members who also had the top T of a fibula, perhaps not in as nice condition as Shungavs but a great start for him and he was over the moon with it.

Everyone seemed to be finding it a bit hard going in the pasture as the ground under the first inch or so was baked solid. We all need some heavy and consistent rain to bring the pasture back to life in these parts.

The usual Georgian and Vicky coppers were coming up. Along with thimbles, musket balls, etc and about 4 or 5 Vicky and George V sixpences and threepences.

The heavens emptied, after I just finished telling a story to a few of the guys of sheltering from the rain once and finding a silver ring whilst sheltering. I took my own advice! Headed for the largest tree I could see to dodge the rain and detected whilst I was there. It happened again first a late 1600's buckle - still with the pin! Then a few strides later while it piddled down around me up turned a 1st Century fibula. Its been a while since I had found one and I was only waxing lyrical last night about wanting another. Someone somewhere was obviously listening to me!

Roman Ray had his first Roman coin that appears to be a radiate but needs a bit of TLC and RJM {Bob} also had a Roman grot falling to his Deus.

Richard of 16.5DD fame found a lovely Tudor clothes hook receiver, and not to be outdone I added a smashing Tudor ball button with the eye intact not far from him. What price they came from the same piece of clothing?

I saw a silver spoon bowl and then later I heard of a silver spoon stem - I wonder if they match?

I also found  a "mystery item" that has caused a bit of debate - its not machine turned and has an age to it. Guesses have ranged from Medieval to Roman - I have no idea. Any help anyone?

The find of the day fell to my long standing and normally "non Roman finding" buddy Mark in the form of one of the loveliest fresh from the soil Roman brooches I have seen. I would hazard a guess at 3rd century and a real beauty - all the more special as after about 8 years detecting it was Marks first. Well done mate you put the hours in and justly deserve it.

At about 4 o'clock we had a find of the Day Award thanks to Spooty Vane and his lovely wife who kindly donated a Art Deco Liberty style magnifying glass. A really quality gift and unsuprisingly it went to Mark for the equally quality fibula.

I left shortly after, but Rob just phoned and quickly updated me to say that Meatslicer {Eric} had found a decent Roman coin and that he had found a Roman minim. More details of other finds to follow.

All in all a great day out with really nice people. roll on the next one.

Neil
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:25:19 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:19:55 PM »

And again

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:21:52 PM »

More - any ideas on the mystery item?

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 06:23:35 PM »

Last few

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Stred (Steve)

Explorer XS

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 06:26:44 PM »

Great finds guys, sorry I could not contribute to the quality, my four buttons would not grace the page.

Well done all and thanks for the great day out.

Cheers

Steve

Just enjoy, life\\\'s too short.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 06:35:53 PM »

Great report and pics Neil. Sorry I couldn't get there.

The brooch of Mark's is a trumpet type, 1st to 2nd century.

I think the mystery item is a loop that would be driven into a wall or fence, maybe to hold ties for a climbing rose or similar. I think post-medieval.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

Great Report Neil  Grin

Im gutted ive missed this one
Ive love everything Roman

ATB
PHIL

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »

an excellent day by the sound of it. well done everyone.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »

great write up neil,
what another great ralley we.ve had. just like neil said it was great to meet a few new members.
and to see them all enjoying themselves.yes had my first roman yippeee.later on in the afternoon
i found a nice george 2nd farthing which i was well pleased with..well i had to be..lol
really enjoyed the day.
thanks for the great company.
raymondoooooooo

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
wayno

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »

great write up neil
Had a really good time really enjoyed looking forward to ludlow next weekend hope to see you all there

wayne

2014 using ctx3030  TIMES OUT -12
Hammered --6
Gold rings --3
 Other rings 1                   
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Debbie

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »

Looks like some great finds today - I wish I could have been there Cry
Deb
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »

Hi all, Just woke up after crashing out in front of the telly after a very busy but great day out on the rally in Chepstow.

Didn't find anything except iron as usual on the first lot of fields, then managed to go ass over tip in front of Cassa Dos and all the ladies crowded around him. Thanks to all for their concern and offers of help, and for ignoring my expletives when I crashed to the ground after putting my foot down a huge tractor rut. Not looking where I was going in my enthusiasm to join the find of the day meeting at 4pm!

My two feet of chain didn't win. Gutted!

Had better luck after a change of venue, when we all headed down to the stubble field. The roman coin and my first musket ball made up for the rest of the day's efforts in extremely damp conditions ( shared a tree with Napoleon and his chum when the heavens opened), interspersed with tropical heat and a fresh wind. That and the nearly broken ankle, what a day!

Nice to meet you all, hope to do it again some time soon.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
150aceboy
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »

Great report Neil, lovely finds well done all
Paul  Wink
jtalbot0001

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »

Hi Neil,

Just want to start off by saying good finds guys.The mystery Item is indeed what Peter suggested, I had a look at what you guys found yesterday (wish I could have been there) and just went onto the UKDFD website today, and there is a find just like the mytery item, which made me remember, so here is the link and it xplains what it is, which Peter correctly suggested. http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=26249&cat=22

Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal