Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SPOILING DETECTING FOR OTHERS  (Read 2358 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »

while out detecting last sunday Farmer Phil was telling Melonhead and i that a farm he's got in Monmouth that the farmers son he was talking to said you normally phone before you come on his dads land to which Phil said well i do ,the son said that the neighbouring farmer saw 6 to 8 cars parked in the farmers field about 3 weeks ago ,and phil said it was not phil and friends !!!!!!!!! so some people have been on the farm phil as and did not have permission to go on there ,the point is people like this spoil detecting for the genuine detectorIst,and could also have spoilt it for Phil in the future............if anyone knows who they were tell them the farmer is not happy and will be checking is fields more regular.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »

to be honest if there was 6 to 8 cars on the farmers field,somebody gave em permission to be there, i mean they wernt trying to disguise the fact that they were there ,,ie nighthawking..... sounds more like a mini rally to me  Grin   

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »

Phil phoned me about this and to me it does sound organised. It is not unknown for groups of people to watch a farm for a few weeks get to know the habits before moving in during the day while the farmer is at market. Thing is as Kev says we all get tarred with the same brush and before you know it word gets round and we are all banned.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:27:36 AM »

And knowing farmers that 6 to 8 was probably 2 or 3 and it does seem as if they at least "thought" they had permission as Paul says.
I would say it's likely to be someone Phil has taken before if he is the only detectorist that has had permission.
farmer(phil)

You never see a farmer on a bike!

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »

Actually, it was 3 cars with 6-8 detectorists, about 3 weeks ago!
The last time we were there was Easter Monday, since then I've  thought the grass was too long.As the flelds are away from is main farm, he leaves it for hay/silage and the sheep graze it in winter.

Chef....Only taken the same 3 people there, and they've mostly been out with me most weeks and I can assure you that there morals and ethics are above that!!!!!
Acquired the land, by looking for machinery parts for him at another farm....luckily still can detect on both farms, but he was a little annoyed with these people.  Angry
All I can say is ..."Lucky me and Melonhead found our good William 3 shillings, when we did" Grin

Farmer Phil

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 11:51:27 AM »

Oh I don't doubt there ethics Phil, I have had a similar thing a few years ago now. It turned out that the culprit was a detectorist that had got permission about 3 years before and until then had not been back, he had told one of the you farm hands he had permission and was told to carry on but this never got back to the farmer.
And I got raked over the coals because they had managed to brake a fence.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »

I think this has  raised an important subject , and I dont wish to detract from the post ... but how long is a farm yours for. I mean farmer Phil keeps in contact with all his landowners , and so do I , but how many people out there have gained permission for a farm - as has been said  already - a few years back and expect to return to it without so much as a phone call?  The land could have changed owner , The farmer might have passed on and his replacement may not know the arrangements he had.

I think regular contact  with the farmer is essencial here and keep him up to speed on what we're doing.  I've given each of my farmers a sheet with a copy of my fid , address, Reg number and Telephone number on , so he knows if its me. If I take anyone with me to any of my farms I always let them know.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »

the problem is you will always find someone with no respect for others and stab you in the back,i always phone the farmer before and inform him when i arrive and leave and they have asked other farmers for me to go on their land no problem.viv
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »

Phil i stand corrected 3 cars and 6 to 8 detectrist,sorry Grin Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal