Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Terry Herbert Staffordshire Hoard  (Read 2613 times)
adesace

If I was a rich man

« on: July 20, 2010, 08:11:35 AM »

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 ClassifiedDirectoryJobsMotorsPropertynobody gets you closer  Motto for the day: Study all mottos very carefully  - Peter Rhodes
 expressandstar.com Navigation:
Home | News | Sport | Travel | Entertainment | Lifestyle | Videos | Pictures | Blogs  navigation-secondary
Business News | Education | Weather | News Map | Motors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Golden times ahead for Staffordshire Hoard millionaire
Monday 19th July 2010, 10:00PM BST.

Terry Herbert with some of the Anglo-Saxon hoard
A year on from discovering the fabulous Staffordshire Hoard metal detectorist Terry Herbert says he is still exactly the same person.

Now a millionaire, Terry, aged 56, from Burntwood, found the first piece of gold from the hoard in farmer Fred Johnson’s field at Hammerwich, near Brownhills, on July 5 last year.

Within days it became clear  that through pursuing his much-loved hobby he had discovered the most important Anglo-Saxon treasure ever uncovered in England.

Terry has now been given his half share of the £3.3 million the hoard was valued at but says he has yet to spend a penny.

“I have banked the money, but not spent any of it yet,” he revealed.

Terry said he has still not even replaced his battered old metal detector that led him to the treasure.

He is waiting for the autumn when he can once again go out detecting in the local area and still hopes to find more buried treasure.

“All the attention has not changed me. I’m still just the same person who looks forward to going out searching,” he added.

He has been invited to the British Museum today  for the British Archaeological Awards.

The hoard, believed to date from the Seventh Century, is on the shortlist for the best archaeological discovery.

Terry said that a year on he was still “a bit bewildered” by what had happened and was still looking forward to seeing everything that had been discovered at the hoard site.

“I have been told that there are 3,419 pieces altogether. I want to see it all,” he added.

Terry is also in the running for an award from The Searcher magazine for best find of 2009 after being nominated by the National Council of Metal Detectors.

National Geographic is also planning a new documentary featuring Terry to update the story of the Staffordshire Hoard following an initial programme earlier this year.

* Although the hoard of gold and silver has been saved for the nation, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and Stoke-on-Trent Museum and Art Gallery still need to raise £1.7m to enable it to be properly conserved, studied and displayed.

See Also:

Share your news, photos, audio clips and videos

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/07/19/golden-times-ahead-for-staffordshire-hoard-millionaire/#ixzz0uCxhg5tJ

Ade
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:18:46 AM »

reasonable report -- shame the pathetic journalist concentrated more on the money side rather than the actual value to the nations history. [why he didn't refuse to answer the questions put to him re the money?]

as far as journos are concerned there are only 3 types of detectorists

- those that make great finds and get a vast pay off
- those that find unexploded bombs
- nighthawks

i really do wish that they would concentrate on the positive side of the hobby rather than the 'get rich quick' mentality that prevails in modern society.

well done to terry for the discovery, reporting it and behaving resposnibly throughout the process.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Junkman

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:07:58 AM »

Terry is also in the running for an award from The Searcher magazine for best find of 2009 after being nominated by the National Council of Metal Detectors.

In the running Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Methinks he may just win that one................... Roll Eyes

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »

reasonable report -- shame the pathetic journalist concentrated more on the money side rather than the actual value to the nations history. [why he didn't refuse to answer the questions put to him re the money?]

as far as journos are concerned there are only 3 types of detectorists

- those that make great finds and get a vast pay off
- those that find unexploded bombs
- nighthawks

i really do wish that they would concentrate on the positive side of the hobby rather than the 'get rich quick' mentality that prevails in modern society.

well done to terry for the discovery, reporting it and behaving responsibly throughout the process.

Absolutely spot on Alan, unfortunately so, but right on the money.
Unless you are "into the hobby" people on the outside only think we do it for some sort of financial gain?, for what I've spent on detecting i could have bought a fantastic coin or artifact collection!!, but that's not what its about, same as people who go fishing, most would starve to death if they relied on the catch to eat.
they will never understand the great people you get to meet, the fascination of holding a "usually worthless financially" but valuable historic item that was lost or discarded hundreds of years ago, lost until you just discovered it once more, knowing it hasn't been handled since, and pondering on how it came to be there?
its a shame the press are never interested  in the true reasons 99.99% of us do this fascinating hobby.

Salty
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:17:41 PM by Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club, R.A.R.E. » Logged

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal