Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting cemeteries  (Read 2494 times)
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« on: July 13, 2010, 02:00:55 AM »

Hi all,

I have the chance to detect in a privately owned cemetery tomorrow. Anyone done this? Not sure where to start, what I should avoid or what to expect in this kind of land.

As far as I can tell, it was in use as a burial ground from the 1870's but was a plowed field until that time. There are loads of headstones and stone lined chambers still above ground but they are all overgrown.

The owner has planted vegetables around the edges where there were no graves but most of the area I can detect over is grassy or covered with carpet to keep weeds down.

Time to see if a CScope is up to the job.

Meatslicer

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:21:51 AM »

This will be interesting to see how it pans out. I have heard of people detecting cemetaries before - especially in America will some amazing results. People tend to dress up to go to visit a lost one - it wouldn't suprise me at all if you do well there.

Not sure its for me personally speaking though - some things are best left undisturbed.

Love to read an update on how you get on.

cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »

i dont know about this one,is it legal to do a cemetary ?

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »

Ive no idea how the law stands on this one
I always though that if the last person to be laid to rest at a cem was over 99 years ago,then the area could be turned over and redevelped.
Im Cymmer, Porth they built a road over one and in Dinas one turned into a Kids playground and other in Penygraig turned into an area to hold fates Ect

Personally id be very iffy about going in and out of grave stone,s
but i wouldnt have a poblem if the land have been redeveloped
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:36:08 AM »

If it only goes back to 1870 then you probably won't find any more than you would from a park, ie just occasional losses.
The more interesting finds are to be made from older cemeteries (I've never done one, I hasten to add).
The church in the village I used to live in went back at least to the 14th Century and it was very common to see teeth and finger bones lying on the surface, A fact that my 4 year old daughter found fascinating and on one occasion after Sunday school decided to quickly go around the flower beds and then show the vicar her little collection.
Had there, at that moment been an open grave around I would of happily jumped in it.
Strangely a few months later there was an announcement in the village journal, telling how due to a "lack of nutrients" (joke) the church committee had purchased 20 tons of top soil to replace the the soil in the flower beds.
But I think it was probably down to "my little darling" and her artefact collection.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »

the thing that bothers me  is the post says it was in use from the 1870s,when did it become disused,,hate to think of detecting it and someone says what you doing with my grandfather....creepy lol.

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
Junkman

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 11:12:19 AM »

Leave it be!

It is not an old cemetary, the finds (if any) will be those of relatives at gravesides which means A- Not very old and B- Personal.

I would question the ethics of such a search as it gains nothing but adds to negative imagery of the hobby that the detractors love to rake up.

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
the sutt

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »

I have detected in a private cemetary a few years ago for a lady who lost
an earring made out of a sovereign. I told her that I was very uncomfortable about doing it and she assured me it would be ok. I told her that I would look for the item because she had only lost it the previous week.My reply to her was ok, but, I am not using my spade to dig anywhere in the cemetary.Due to the fact the item was lost for a short while it wouldn't have sunk in the ground. After a short while I found the earring but I was totally uneasy with the whole situation. I don't think I will ever detect in a cemetary again to be honest with you, but it's up to the individual and the circumstance in which they find themselves.
I gained a new farm to detect on though. So I was lucky in that respect.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »

It's quite an interesting topic and is loaded with moral questions. I have to hold my hand up and say I would have no problem at all in detecting around a cemetery, my only reservation would be the consent of living relatives and as long as I had that then I can see no problem.
Would members be so reticent at detecting a Roman, Saxon cemetery or Bronze age barrow?
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »

i have no problems about digging roman/saxon burials,,and sometimes detectorists find skeletons where they wouldent expect them,,its just all this recent  business,as i said before i would be horrified if a greiving relative saw me with a metal detecter in my hand even if i was nowhere near any graves,just a bit taboo you know.

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
detectordave

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »

Let them lay in peace  Angry

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 10:56:31 PM »

Interesting replies,

I checked again, the church on the plot was built in 1833, and went out of use in the 1930's. The current owner demolished the church because it was unsafe, but left the burials. Judging from the junk I found around them, the land has been a junk yard and repository for every type of container of alcohol and fizzy drinks since it was first used. I was respectful of the actual graves and grave stones, but from what I found, noone else has been. Angry

There were spoil heaps in the corners of the site which I saw as fair game, and found a few post 1900 coins and a load of copper and bronze pieces which I assume were probably linings of pots and boxes for flowers and the like. The signals around the spoil heaps were sending me crazy, as there were again a huge spread of coke cans and ring pulls.

Some kid had obviously been playing among the graves, because I found a load of lead moulds and small pieces of lead, but only one intact 1940's lead soldier.

No wonder churchyards get attacked by thieves, the amount of lead and copper I found just on the surface was incredible. I packed a bucket with the stuff and left it for the owner, apart from some short lengths of copper wire and some fittings.

I did find a small pendant which I am not sure of the age of. Maybe someone can help with that one

Meatslicer

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold