Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: rare or not to be  (Read 6655 times)
nfl
Superhero Member

« on: July 07, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »

hi guys a pretty random topic i know ,but where i live a group from rare as took over the farm that i usually detect on{which i dont mind as i still have landowners permission to do land and after the rollicking by 1 member i moved on and got another 4 farms}the rolicking was ,,, i didnt have permission to be there  Huh been doing same farm 2 years + with consent before rare ???now i find out that they have several other farms in this area which again as i dont mind as it is pushing me further afield and with good results ,,my gripe is with all the clubs about i think independant detectorists will just move on ,which may be better for them,i know there is several members of rare on this forum and with them doing regular rallys around here its surprising that i dont hear more on this furom about finds seem as in the summer plough i am pulling hammies and roman on a weekly basis... not being funny but some of the farms that i have approached have mentioned rare farms and when i say i dont have permission ,i am wecomed

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:25 PM »

Hi boss,

What area are you operating in? I have found a few farms that I have arranged to detect but RARE members have been there in the past. I have an arrangement with the farmers that I deal with that they contact me when the land is ploughed or cropped and they are happy for me to detect their land.

If anyone else came on to the land I would automatically check with the farmer if they have permission or not and suggest they leave if they don't. Some farmers prefer single detectorists or small groups on the land because they can then ensure that the crop is unlikely to suffer or stock is not disturbed.

I am still pulling stuff out despite previous coverage so there is always enough for everyone. Live and let live I say. I can always find more land and I am getting quite good at finding targets for investigation on Google Earth. I have about six or seven on the go at the moment that are just waiting for the right conditions and cropping/ploughing.

The land doesnt "belong" to RARE or any other club, it belongs to the landowner and if he/she decides they will allow other clubs or indeed individuals on the land that is their decision to make.

Meatslicer

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »

Hi both

Just because these Detectorists are RARE members doesnt mean its Rare,s Land
If youd like to Pm me with the area your talking about i can tell you if its our Club Land
Im the Treasure of RARE and i can assure you the only land that RARE as a club  has sole rights to is down the Vale
We pay a large charitable donation every year and we have a good working relationship with the Estate owners and staff and have so for many years.
Theres not many parts of South East Wales that RARE or Cardiff Scan members haven't been on at one time or another so dont let that put you off.
As we proved on our resent token hunt no where completely worked out

atb
Phil Jones

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:56:57 PM by THE VERMINATOR » Logged
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:12:07 AM »

Hi Paul

Regarding RARE Members not posting they're finds .
I wish Rare members would post more and brag, if only to stop Cardiff Scan members getting the better of us lol  Tongue Grin

I think the problem is most of our memberships not on the net.
Id say 80% are technophobic
and the ones that are on line use other forums.

We have a lot of members that attend club meeting but are rarely seen on club rallies so basically there independent detectorists.
But i think thats not peculiar to RARE,

Atb
Phil

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:16:10 AM by THE VERMINATOR » Logged
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:54:40 AM »

Hi,

We also in BreconMDC have a lot of members who although detect on a regular basis, do not post piccies of their finds and likewise with rare members are not habitual pc users, but some like me do belong to forums but choose to watch and keep up to date with events and discussions.

As for outsiders visiting farms that any detectorist tects on a regular basis, all we ask of you is that you respect the land owner and his property and leave the land as you found it and not cause problems that all detecting is barred to anyone after you leave and more important ; have the land owners permission to detect in the first place !

At the moment I am praying for rain and lots of it  Grin otherwise i too will be knocking doors of large arable farms looking for plough land  Wink

Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:56:42 AM »

There has been times when i've knocked a farm door to ask permission,  only to find that some one else is going there,
   i say ohh thats ok, i don't want to step on anybody elses toes, i'll leave it,

i done it once and it turned out that davtec was going there lol. i left it there,   but as i said we don't know if anybody goes there untill we ask.
But on the other hand some of my farmers have told me that they have had some realy persistant guys trying to get on one or two of mine who didn't want to take no for an answer, people who are known to me as well, Huh?

sometimes for a ploughed field the farmer has said "well your here now,  you can go on it for the day if you want to as its being seeded tomorrow, or later, ,"  but then thats been it i haven't gone back after,  i always respect other detectorists farms,
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:40:40 AM by Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan ) » Logged

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:07:24 AM »

hi guys, im glad to see there is a lot of feedback on this topic,i like most of you guys dont mind if someone else club or individual detects on land that we already detect on,,,,,,,,,, there were 6 guys from rare that were detecting a farm that i do regulary all nice guys and had many chats with them but 1 day i was detecting my usual farm and i noticed the rare guys on the farm next door ,which i dont have permision for so i dont go on there anyway 1 guy comes in the field where i was and says who give you permission to be here? bloody english b*****d and a load of other abuse ,it did turn into a slanging match with no side winning  it did put me off tectin for a while as it was the only farm i had at the time,,,then i thought sod this and got a load more farms away from whitney on wye{where i live}and now have about 7000 acres to play on Grin so cheers the rare guy that was the exeption to the rule.   

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:11:07 AM »

Good responses Guys, i couldn't agree more, if the farmer/Land owner has agreed for land to be designated as "Club Land" with a particular club and come to an understanding with that club, be it financial, moral or whatever, that's up to the land owner, he/she is the only person to tell you you can or cant detect on the land.
i have land that i detect on, other people have gone there too, mainly because the farmer is a nice guy and doesn't like to say no. I'd be lying if i said this didn't aggravate me a bit, but its not up to me, so i just accept it and hope that they show the same respect for the land as me and don't spoil thing's for everyone.
I agree with what you say Pauly, it gives you a kick up the backside to find "pastures new" Literally Wink
Personally, from a moral point of view, if i found a farm that someone else detected on and the farmer was happy for me to go on it, i think i'd try to find out who it was and have a chat with them, they may be happy to share and meet up for a day out together.
Better to try and make friends than enemies i think,  Smiley

ATB
Salty Smiley

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
waltonbasinman
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:17:24 PM »

I hate conflict between detectorists but I will admit it does seem to occur all to often. Why people get them selves or involve others I do not know but it is a sorry situation. I have been detecting for about four years and in that time I do not think I have not gone more than five weeks without hearing about one conflict or another. I have had discussions with a few DW members about people with mine is better than yours attitudes. Thankfully I have not been involved but have witnessed horrible confrontations via technology and on land, and I refuse to ever. I would rather walk away and no longer be involved with these people and as a whole it has worked out fine. Have met some great genuine people and I thank DW and Brecon Club for this and hopefully made some friends for life. Why people feel the need to do this I do not know, but I am afraid they are there. My advice walk away to pastures new. It will probably be the best thing you ever did....... Smiley
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »

I agree with WBM and Karl as when all said and done it is only a hobby and not worth getting stressed out about.
I do feel for you Paul as many years ago the same situation happened here in Somerset, a local club started to aggressively hunt for land offering the farmers payment to search with sole rights, knowing full well that the land was being hunted by other people. It all got very ugly and in the end they shot themselves in the foot by poaching land off one of their own members and for a while the club fell apart.
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 09:08:25 PM »

Does that mean I have to speak and be friends for life with you Paul  Huh Huh lol lol Grin

Our lives are too short for all these arguments.

There is plenty of land to go around, as long as the detectorists look after the landowners and respect their property.

Spend all your argumentative energy making it rain, WE NEED RAIN  Grin Grin

My beetroot and carrots need rain ! And i want to hold a rally too, to keep Paul happy  Wink
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:10:41 PM by outlaw » Logged
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooow  RARE as a club are not aggressively looking for land.full stop.

The Rare members who Paul met on his travels are not  acting on behalf of RARE
They are members of Rare and i bet members of other clubs as many People are nowadays but it seems its only Rare has been singled out  Angry.
Any member of any club is allowed to look for land and to say RARE is aggressively looking for land in Misguided.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »

UMM, I don't think you have read the thread properly, no one has said RARE are looking for land aggressively.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 09:53:43 PM »

UMM Ok Cheff as long as it wasnt your intention to imply RARE was aggressively hunting for land i apologize
The detectorists Paul is having trouble with are Detectorists that happen to be Rare members they also could be Scan or GC members Id just like to make that Clear.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:45:00 AM by THE VERMINATOR » Logged
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »

A good point though Phil.   i did hear last year that there was a group from the scan club going around not worrying about whos land they got on,

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal