Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: detecting wales rally  (Read 9184 times)
simon c

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 10:42:35 PM »

I can understand your point of veiw mike,but having thought about it,i can't see a simple solution,if you delete non posters that will reduce membership numbers and could afect the advertiser's decision to advertise here,as will locking the forum so you can only read the post's if your logged in,this is where the problem is you can read the whole forum as a guest and there is no need to log in,so the people who you have watched could be reading the post's and logging in as you say just for rallies,as for counting post's that will just increase Geoff's work load,Rob's idea's not bad but again it means some will abuse it by logging in posting a few hello's to new members just to go on the rally,as i say no easy solution ? Roll Eyes
charles
Rally attendee

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 11:01:25 PM »

i being one of those members who can only get access to acomputer at a freinds house as the library is closed when bot me and my partner also on here get back from our busy days.
we try to get on as many times as we can but it's only if my mates home and we can get there.
it is difficult to accept but just because people are unable to post I would like to get on and enjoy more time here .
hope you understand  why some don't post  so often.
some great posts so much time spent reading some,which take most of the time up when i get on here.
all i know is i appreciate the time and effort all of you have put in to set up this great forum and also bring many new friendships started in our brilliant hobby.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »

There is not clear answer to this problem
We need as many forum member as we can to encourage sponsers to invest in the forum so deleting isnt a good option as im sure Geoff would agree

Im not sure if i want 229 forum member all posting at once but it would be great if a few more would contribute.

Maybe by showing non contributors that we have a well run and friendly forum they,ll be encouraged to join in ;0)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 11:17:21 PM »

Yeah Charles, but the difference is, that you are on here now , explaining why you cant post that often. the low posters mike is on about dont even do that!... Good for you though at least you're making the effort fella

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Debbie

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:56 AM »

I agree with Simon C - there is no easy answer to this. Although I don't log in and post much, I do look at the site most days and like to see what goodies people are finding!  Being in the 'one day at the weekend when it will probably rain' detecting group, my chances of finding anything worth posting are much slimmer than the '7 days a week' detectorists!!  I know I could post something along the lines of "great find there m8", like others seem to do, but I don't think that adds any real value, but on the other hand if that's what it takes, then I am sure another hundred or so site members would do something similar to satisfy the idea of 'many or regular' postings that some people think should happen.  Personally, I favour quality over quantity, but that is just imho. Shocked
llanelli club
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »

all i can add here is that there are a lot f people signed in here regularly.
what i mean is there are a good flow not to many as toblock up the forum .nearly as many on here as minelabowners at on e time which is a good result.
all we need as a sponsership really is small amount of money from a couple of local traders as a boost and a detecting shop that give a prize here and there and offer a little discount to all members who get an offercode from admin which changes  from time to time .so aproach the detector shops that could give a little and gain a lot from it .
may i suggest contacing mick turrell leisure promotions whom offers great support which many already know he may not be able to pay much as a sponser but may be able to provide in other ways it all will help.
he also offers great rallies through the year and himself has just started a website.
scratch each others back here!!
he may need a little time to decide but i wonder myself what have both have to loose.
best of luck with sponsership .
zorro
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »

earlier in this thread rob (tafflaff) made some very good pointsabout why counting posts wont work. i totally agree that people who sign in here , never post and want to go on rallies organized by members here are bang out of order. i also agree that racking up your post count by saying welcome to someone is a ridiculous method of judging a persons imput to this site. there are people who spend hours reading the topics here, gaining information and advice but dont feel the need to post mundain replies. yes we have hundreds of members but come Saturday only 70 are going this in itself is a selection process- first come first serve. the people who never visit this site and dont contribute will soon realise they've missed yet another rally because they havent been online and missed the cut off number, they'll soon leave.
i do agree that if after a certain number of days a post hasnt been submitted that person should be deleted as a member. im sure if some one is going to be hospitalised for a long period a quick PM to the admin explaining your future absensewould suffice.
altinkum

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »

a lot of people are missing my point completly. it has nothing to do with post count's i dont see a problem with some people not posting has someone allready said some people are shy ect ect it's the one's who singed up for the rally 7 8 10 day's ago and have NOT LOGGED ON SINCE.  how can they contribute to this forum when their not logged on. as i said this forum will be chocker tomorrow night with the stay away's wanting direction's for the jolly day out other people have organised. and as for some people having no computer accsess it's funny how they managed to get hold of one to sign up when they heard there was a rally going on.  in my opinion a load of b******'s.  mike
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:28:47 PM by admin » Logged

explorers, my arse
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 09:34:15 PM »

I think this issue is obviously getting a lot of members hot under the collar. DetectingWales.com has always been a friendly and welcoming site and I don’t want something like this to destroy the atmosphere. I will therefore take account of all your comments and before the next rally (after Caerleon) we will institute some kind of system for ensuring that DetectingWales.com rallies are attended by active participants in the website.

I have not been too worried up to now about people signing up to the site just to attend a rally because many of these people have gone on to become regular contributors to the site. However I understand your concerns. DetectingWales.com is a website not a club. We put on rallies purely for the benefit of our members, not for all and sundry.

In the meantime can we please keep this thread friendly and tone down the language (we’ve had a complaint).

Geoff
altinkum

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »

i'm sorry for my language i apologise for upsetting anyone reading the thread.  mike

explorers, my arse
borderfox.1495

I HAVE FOUND MY FIELD OF DREAMS IN WALES

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 11:23:12 PM »

hi everbody, firstly  i wouldn t have mike any other way we need people to speak their mind, people that keep us strong heard that a gold fibula was found in the area ,  by a mate  so if true, i think we might have a few interesting finds,  everybody have a great day if you see me run the other way , i m told i talk to much. as regards who should go i think the fairest way is you can only go to a rally if youve been a member for four weeks regardless  regards john pugh
hedgehog
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »

I agree , well done Mike for speaking your mind , the world needs people like you, it promotes healthy discussion and the opposing views of people on forums.
Also well done Geoff for stepping in , I feel this discussion has run it's course.
My main concern is that it may put people off from joining in the discussions because they haven't been posting. I hope it hasn't and that the membership will continue to grow.
I have often read posts without logging in and maybe it is possible to allow 2 posts to be read before a logging in requirement, as it is I can look at everything and anything in the forum anonymously and dip in and out without anyone knowing.
Just a thought , is that a possibility Geoff?
Merlin
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »

As a new member I just want to wish you all the best with your rally come Sunday.Wish I could have made this one,but due to slight ill health at the moment I maybe out of action for awhile.Happy hunting all!!!
cliffwatch
Rally attendee

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 09:37:42 PM »

May I start this contribution by congratulating and thanking those responsible for the first two rallies. The website is developing into an interesting source of facts and material, however, I've been reading the comments about posting on the forum with disbelief. So, some members do not have much to say on the forum - so what? Are those who post comments frequently better detectorists or better people than those who don't? I think not. Some, quite rightly, have pointed out the difficulties some members without a computer may have and also the lack of time or expertise, not to mention those who are unfortunate enough to suffer with dyslexia and therefore lack the confidence to contribute. Some who do not post frequently may well use the site generally more often than those who do. I, for one would not enter into any debate unless I thought I had something worthwhile to offer, so why penalise those who are like me? The notion that newbies should be penalised and have to wait and qualify for a rally baffles me. In the case of a restricted number on a rally, if long standing members can't get their nomination in before a newbie then "hard luck" is what I say. I thought the aim of a site like this was to bring like minded people TOGETHER, whether that be in the forum or out in the field. So let's stop all this nonsense and enjoy this great hobby, enjoy eachother's company and enjoy eachother's finds.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 10:03:57 PM »

Please don,t go there again Cliffwatch. All has been said that needs to be said. Geoff, Neil and others involved in the running of the site know what they are doing and all the reasons and problems of discontent have been duly sorted. After saturdays great day don,t start this again.  Grin Grin Grin positive, positive, positive. Mind you i still agree with Millsy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:06:09 PM by waltonbasinman (Paul) » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal