Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting Wales Rally Number 17 - the Silver Spoons Rally - Carmarthen.  (Read 12847 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: June 26, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »

We headed to Carmarthen today following requests from several members to have a Detectingwales event somewhere closer to their locality and were rewarded with beautiful scenery and glorious sunshine.

We went with open expectations about the farm, but we knew it was potentially in a good location due to it being on the edge of a Roman  and Medieval town and right next to a Roman Road. You never know with detecting though what will turn up. I have been detecting (with permission - I hasten to add } right up against Medieval Castle walls before and drawn a blank. This boded well for Roman, but I think the elements (well a lack of rain} may have conspired against us!

After a brief introduction and a welcome to the lovely Marian Page - our Finds Liason Officer for the day from Dyfed Archaeological Trust we were off and into the pastures.

Early morning and theres quite a few Vicky and Georgian coppers coming up along with musket balls, buttons and buckles, when I meet with Roman Ray who has one of those "swirly" Victorian gilded brooches in his hand minus its stone. A nice find - just a shame it wasn't the gold version, which knowing Ray it normally is. Wink

Heading into another field and enroute I pass Marian's table and she already has accumulated quite a selection of finds including a lovely Georgian silver salt spoon - unsure as to who found it.

I headed into the "sheep" field and after a few bits of dross I get a signal which has me digging a good twelve inches down to see a lump of crafted bronze staring back at me! The thing won't budge and is vertical into the ground (as offerings often are}, so it results in me digging deeper and deeper with visions of a Roman chariot lynch pin in my head. Only to finally pull it out and there in my hand I have .............................................................................................a fire poker! What the Hell is that doing in the middle of a field! Answers on a postcard please. Huh

After a break for some lunch I went off to another field where I bump into Mark (aka Melonhead} who has a stunning, monogramed silver spoon in his hand - my guess is Victorian. He headed off in search of the rest of the cutlery set. What was it with silver spoons today?

I then happened apon Zorro (Kevin} who had a Roman coin in his hand. This provided much inspiration, as at least we knew the Toga Wearers  were around, it was just a matter of trying to find them in the sun baked earth!

The day was coming to a close and I headed back to the cars and my lift buddies for the day Digger (Stan} and Johnny Love Token (Johnny}. Admin arrived with news of a Medieval ring brooch - but by now the finder had disappeared, but I am sure a picture will arrive here shortly. There was also talk of a silver Half Crown of Edward and Tom's find off the day (in my humble opinion} representing a huge knight on horse back - not sure what it was made of or the date -the verdicts out for the time being. Any ideas anyone?

With sunburnt shoulders and heavy arms we headed home to Cardiff. A good day out and great to meet up with everyone and see lots of new and old faces. Including Casa Dos and his good lady Auntie Anne. Great to see you out and about mate.

A special thanks to TaffLaff for getting the land - even if I did wind him up at one point by pretending to talk to Ray about a Gold Guinea he had found. Robs reaction was most amusing. Hope you are feeling better soon mate.

Thats it for now - Barbecue and Vodka are calling me.

Cheers
Neil

P.S. thanks to Marian (FLO} for joining us and hopefully we will see you regularly from now on -it was great to have you on board. Even if you did have to cope with a few marriage proposals from the DW boys!

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

More including a confirmed by the FLO Roman Teserai

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 06:30:15 PM »

Some more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:32:12 PM »

A few more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »

Last ones for now - any ideas on Tom's find?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:44:12 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »

yea the first one looks like some sort of buckle, the second one one is probably a cap badge or other and the last ones an isiginficant 1933 penny, for which i will swap a brand spancking new bright penny Roll Eyes

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »

Interesting thoughts Nobby, but I have never seen a four inch by four inch cap badge of that weight and design - it has an age to it for sure.

The buckle is just Victorian and used on a garter and the penny was a George VI {1936-1952} coin dated 1939 - I forgot to add the details to the in the soil shots.

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 07:13:23 PM »

ummmmm.. they used to have bigger heads in the old days!! lolyep  im sticking to that! Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Debbie

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »

Nice location - well done Rob on getting the farm for today's rally.
It was great to have the local FLO there - it is interesting to see everyone's finds on the table.  Today the finds spanned from Roman to present day. The Georgian silver spoon was a lovely find - well done.
Deb Smiley
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »

SOUNDS LIKE YOU GUYS HAD A LOT OF FUN TODAY nice finds as well ,,as for my own rally we managed to pull out 5 dinari between 2 of us today 2nd,3rd cent we did  have a little foray yesterday and back to same site tomorow,,trying to post pics later.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »

Who went with you after Paulywow?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 09:04:45 PM »

me and jonny109 as i was let down by a couple ,,,but hey was a good time got there and farmer says there used to be a scheduled mound in field and when the guys came and scheduled it in the 70s ,the farmer at the time decided he didnt want people coming round there and bulldozer the mound into field {poss saxon} Huh Huh

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »

Well I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves. Gutted I could not make it. Thanks Ray  for taking up the slack mate. And many thanks to Marion for representing the F.L.O's at the rally.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »

GREAT REPORT NEIL.
another great detectingwales ralley.it was great to all meet up again.
and to see some new faces as well.
i had a real nice day.
thanks all.
ray.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
melonhead

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »

just looked up the hallmarks on the spoon i found the lepoards head means  london .the lion means 925 stearling silver.      and the letter s in a peaked shield dates it to1893 it also has gmj stamped on it george maudsley jackson the makers mark                                                      

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal