Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Provisional treasure valuation.........what a joke!  (Read 6462 times)
Trys

« on: June 23, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »

Hi all, some of you may remember the bronze age gold lock ring I found in march last year. Well this morning the provisional valuation came through the post. The lock ring is around 3000 years old, contains 87% gold (which makes it quite a high carrat), weighs 2.93 grammes and what I would consider pretty rare even compared to something like a bronze age axe. The only thing letting it down is that it has been slightly damaged - probably through ploughing.

This is what the valuation explanation reads like:
"This object is so damaged as to have little commercial value so i've assigned a price of twice the bullion value. I have used the weight 2.93 grammes given which was before cleaning. Taking this fact into account and that the gold content was about 87% I have therefore multiplied the bullion weight by 160% rather than 200%.
This valuation is based on thirty years of commercial experience"

The valuation is a massive £125, that's £62.50 each for me and the land owner! I have never looked at my hobby as a way of making, or earning money but I feel that this valuation is an insult, and it really does not suprise me that some do not declare.

Between this and another recent incident involving amgueddfa cymru I am pretty cheesed off. Angry

I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this valuation - is it a fair valuation or a joke?

Thanks all

Trys

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »

I remember you finding this Trys and the debate that followed over what it was.

Once again the valuation in my eyes does not match the artefact. they are paying over the odds on the carat value, but what about the fact that it is Bronze Age? I would refuse their first valuation as I did in the past and saw a bit of an improvement - but not much!

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Been there myself - its beyond a joke recently. Anyone would think that we have an Olympics to fund or that there have already been a substantial media grabbing Anglo Saxon hoard that have eaten up their money! Roll Eyes

Good luck with it mate

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Trys

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:07 PM »

Cheers Neil, I am definately going to appeal/refuse this valuation but I can't see them improving much on it if they are only going to give me what is just over s c r a p value.

I'll be typing up a letter to them over the next few days, will let you know what they say...
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 06:27:33 AM »

What happens to the artefact now ? Huh
davtec (dave)

davtec

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 06:35:03 AM »

Best of luck with your appeal on the valuation trys you will need it . Embarrassed Embarrassed

A wise man changes his mind: a fool never will.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:28:53 AM »

You can see why stunning artifacts like yours end on on auction sites.

Id class my self an a very pubic spirited Person but id have to think long and hard if i was in the luck position of finding anything of value to the State/County
You not only have to think of yourself but the land owner to £65 each ! thats a joke

Good luck with your appeal keep us posted

regards
Phil
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »

gold bronze age artifact eh ,im sure most of us would love to find somethin similar but then to be offered scrap value is a bit of a kick in the teeth,,i do sympathise with you fella.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »

Blimey I know its damaged but it's still a piece of History  they should offer more than the scrap value, might as well gone to cash for gold. Undecided
Best of luck with your appeal m8 Wink

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
JohnF

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »

I sympathise with you completely, Trys.
I have been lucky enough to have found 2 items of treasure. one case has just been finalised (not very satisfactorily) after 2 years. The other is 18 months in and still a very long way from completion.
 My experience with these 2 treasure cases have left me very dissillusioned and at times pretty hacked off with the treasure process, not so much for the insulting valuations i recieved, but the patronising and somewhat arrogant attitude of the TVC.
If i were to offer any advice to anyone lucky enough to find something that falls under the treasure act i would tell them to make sure they take plenty of decent photos of the find and try to get some independant valuations before declaring it, be prepared to have to fight your own corner and above all learn to be very, very patient.

You wont find a thing if you aint got that swing.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »

I can understand your disapointment but the valuation doesn't surprise me at all. A reward is always based on the market value of an item rather than on any hypothetical "value" it may have due to its rarity or archaeological interest.

Your find is in such poor condition that as was stated, it has litle intrinsic monetary value.

Unless you can provide proof that the item would sell at auction for a higher price, eg by quoting previous auction results of similar items, I think it is unlikely the valuation will be increased on appeal.

You might think I'm speaking for the Treasure Valuation Committee here, but I'm not taking any sides. I have had experience of appealing a valuation in the past and achieving an increase, but I am currently awaiting valuation myself of an Iron Age item that is of great archaeological interest, but will probably be valued at about ten pounds!

Some people might decide not to declare potential Treasure because of experiences like yours, but if you hadn't declared this item, what would you do with it? You could keep it tucked away in a drawer but then its historical significance would not be recognised. Or you could try and sell it and risk a heavy fine or worse. Either way you will be worse off financially than if this valuation goes through.

Good luck whatever you decide!
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 03:53:29 AM »

i remember you finding this yes.... sorry to hear the valuation does not reflect the historical importance of the item mate but its the damage i guess fella, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it mate.  Shame though.  Undecided

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
ancientpat

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 10:10:46 AM »

I questioned the valuation of the gold middle bronze age part bracelet I found based on its historical age of 3500 years, the same age as the pyramids !!  It weighed 10.5 grams and I got £395 between the farmer and myself, I would rather have kept the object for my own collection as it took  3years to clear the Treasure process. Having said that, the FLO Mark Lodwick did all the work of preparing the report etc. ready for the treasure process but it still got bogged down. The price was never changed from the original quote. Enough said  !!!!

Pat. Wink Wink
Trys

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 08:16:19 AM »

Hi all, thanks for all your replies. I'm not too sure now wether or not to appeal based on some peoples experiences - after all I could get a lower valuation which would be even more of a kick in the teeth. I've already wasted enough of my time and petrol money delivering it to the museum (70 mile round trip) and to the inquest (100 mile round trip) so I think I might leave it there.

Pete - I understand what your saying that it is damaged which will obviously affect the value, but as many have said the valuation does not reflect the historical importance of the find. I have a few hammered coins that are worth more than that individually, yet I would have thought bronze age gold to be more rare than most hammered. Also, hypothetically I am sure if the museum were ever selling off stock and this came up, they would be asking more than £125 for it!

Anyway, it's made me think twice about what to do in the future. I have always been a responsible detectorist and will continue to be, but this experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth.
avalon

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »

This is my experience with the FLO, Archaeologists and T.V.C Angry

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal