Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Used Minelab Quattro  (Read 14989 times)
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« on: March 10, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »

Hi, Currently thinking in investing in a used Quattro but have been put off by few reviews describing the machine as *Quirky*. Anyone any experience with one? any help mightily appreciated.
StumbledUpon

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »

Hi Jonola  Smiley I have used a Quattro my first machine, its good on the beach and pasture, very slow recovery in iron! Have you considered a second hand Explorer?
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:54:46 PM »

Have considered it but they appear to go for about 200 to 300 more but that would take a bit more time to get the readies! Wink
simon c

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »

Wellcome to the site Jonola,well you asked and i will reply,but i would'nt want to put you off,i can honestly say the Quatro was the worst detector i have owned,had one for 14 months and ended up part-ex'ing it for a T2 and never regreted it for a second.To be fair the Quatro does have it's devotees,and some great finds have been made with them,if your going for second hand try and get an Explorer it's a much better machine,but not as easy to learn.The new minelab Safari seem's to be an improved Quatro which leads me to ask why change the name instead of calling it a Quatro (mark 2) are they admitting they got it wrong first time.
Quatro's have slow recovery speed,target id is not very acurate,there is'nt much differance in weight to an Explorer,so if your set on minelab my advise would be to try and get an Explorer.
Hope this helps
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:08:07 PM »

Very helpful thanks. The only thing that interested me in the Quattro over an Explorer was price. Explorers seem to hold their price...too well if you are after a secondhand machine!
simon c

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »

Bought my Quatro for £395 and sold it for £425 both prices were from dealers,bought a secondhand Explorer xs for £260 privatly so i don't think the prices are that different,if you are after a Minelab the Soverign range are very good but a bit on the heavy side,have you considered other makes Jonola ?.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 08:22:20 PM »

I have a Sovereign XS- 2A Pro but was looking for something different. Was going to use the Sovereign as a back up machine. Seems that the Quattro would be the back up though! Not quite the way I would like it. I am open to other detectors but (And I don't want to rile people Shocked ) most detectorists I talk too see a bit Minelab fixated. Perhaps I am wrong in this?
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »

No i think your right .after all what suits one might not suit another.Both damn good machines but too much weight thats why i changed mine to a x-terra 70 and i havent looked back Grin Smiley most machines are good in the right hands!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:28:18 PM by DIG IT! (ADIE) » Logged

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
simon c

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 08:37:10 PM »

No i think there are a lot of Minelab userer's,had the Sov Elite,Quatro and Explorer ,i suppose you tend to stick with what your used to,the X-terra 70 would be an other good alternative,but once you move away from Minelabs other than depth i can't see any advantage in them,just my veiw.I've been using a Technetics T2 and a Gold max power for some time,and the weight differance and recovery speeds are brilliant compared to a Quatro.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:43:59 PM »

I must admit that recovery speed seems the one constant that runs through most peoples reasons why the Quattro is a bit *Quirky* .
drewson
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »

hi moderator can you tell me if i am in the rallie for the 14 march as i need to know so i can arrange a lift thanks drewson
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 10:17:47 PM »

Hi Drewson

Yes your on the list so id start looking for a lift if i was you ;0)
you,ll get the more Details Friday night Via Personal message

Dont forget to say Hi Saturday!

all the best Phil Jones
llanelli club
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:04:05 PM »

ok my list of detectors worth buying..
first quattro is good depth and heavy
explorers better depth inland than quattro heavy but worth it.
hawkeye easy to use and light land drysand only .
most good detectors come with id numbers which help to determin what metal it is .
you will find you have to learn whichever you decide you have too use a quattro in all metal to work its best and also explorers but the descrim pattern settings are super for minelab to find good stuff switch on and use .
hawkeye also turn sens up as far as you can turn to all metal have threshold easily heard not too loud though and dig all with id above 6 easy .
waltonbasinman
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »

Have had a Quattro now for 16 months and have had no problems at all. Found stuff at depth and have no problem in pinpointing in trashy sites. Spent time setting up and learning its capability and have had no problem since. I only detect on ploughed and pasture and have found it a comfortable easy machine to use. Whatever you do it will be your choice and get what you feel is right. If you ask twenty people using twenty different detectors they will all tell you why theirs is best.  Smiley
yankee
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »

I am new to this hobby and no expert by any meens. I just got the new Safari and have been useing it in the fields around my home. I must say that the recovery time on the Safari is FAST!. Although the history here in the U.S. is only about 150 years I hope to make many finds with the Safari!. I do know there are many videos on the Quattro and the Safari on U Tube so check them out when you get the time!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:15:40 AM by yankee » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal