Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Your greatest find as a Detectorist . . .  (Read 8177 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: June 21, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »

I have been thinking tonight about those heart stopping moments that stay with us through our years as Detectorists and thought a few of us may want to share those moments.

I have been lucky enough to have made a few decent finds and I know some of you have done the same. So come on the rest of you, including James, Jaydogg, Mark, Taff Laff, Roman Ray, John Pugh, Casa Dos, Chef, Admin, Steven King. The Doc, Debbie, Maxine, WaltonBasinman, etc have all made amazing finds. Share your favourite moments with the rest of us, if only to provide inspiration for the numerous newbies on DW. Its all out there to be found, lets see what has been found so far.

My first find that will always stick with me is the first hammered coin. I was out for a day in glorious Summer sunshine on a SCAN club site(that had apparently been done to death} with Mark and Jaydogg when up popped a Henry III hammered penny. In my nievity I wasn't even sure of what it was at first, but my mates soon confirmed it. To make matters even better a week later I had a heavily clipped Henry VII groat from the same fields.

From a beach it was a find many of you have seen before in the form of a un-hallmarked 22ct and Emerald ring - rubbish signal - cracking find! The wife still wears it to this day. The FLO (Mark} was unable to date it, but I feel it has an age to it. It went on to win SCAN Beach Find of the Year.

My first Denari came thanks to an invite from Borderfox (John Pugh} and was a Republican Deanari of Trebanius dating 135BC (one of the oldest found in Wales}. I quickly followed it on the same day with a Republican of T Carisius 46BC. Thanks go to John for the invite - a day to remember.

A mundane find for some, but my first Crotal Bell also sticks in my mind courtesy of a days detecting with Phil. I was pleased as punch as a crotal bell had eluded me for so long! I managed to find two of them that day.

Another day out with Jaydogg and Mark and my first bit of treasure came to light. It was belting down with rain and I can still picture seeing the Medieval silver and gilt 15th Century ring stuck in the clay. Now resides in the Museum of Wales.

I am still waiting for my first Bronze Age (had part of an axe before}, Viking and Saxon artefact, but thats what makes detecting a beautiful hobby - you really do never know what the next spade full of earth will turn up.

Theres been plenty more finds since these, and some are indeed worthy of a mention, but I limited myself to four and these stick in the mind as clearly as the day they saw light for the first time in hundreds or thousands of years!.

So come on guys and gals share with us those momentus moments whether they be a Vicky copper or a Roman hoard. If it only helps provide us inspiration then its been worth it.

Cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:37:13 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »

NIce Finds to be able to look back on Neil.
 when i found my first republican denerius i didn't know what it was,  i thought it was another button when i first saw it,  then thought it looked foreign,  Roman Ron identified it for me though as M Furius L.F. Philus.,   119 years B.C.  

Alan

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »

cracking finds there guys,i wont post none of mine though as i think heritage action,tony robinson,bm,etc would love to see some fascinating finds like these and the internet is a big place  Grin Grin 

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »

Thats a stunning coin Al - well found mate - I would be over the moon with that,

You have nothing to worry about Paul - as you know nothing wrong with talking about individual finds and those that have been declared.

Detectingwales openly invites the BM, FLO's, Archies, Heritage Action and Tony (and his JCB's Wink} to join the site - we have nothing to hide from them. If it was left to certain parties it would be let rotting in the earth. Thats not what we aim to achieve. 

I see us as preserving our British heritage not the opposite.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:23:53 PM »

great thread neil.
it would be nice to hear our members greatest moments.and greatest finds.heart stopping moments.
again great thread neil.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »

Heres Rays stater - tell the story mate!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:37:36 PM »

A couple from me, My first hammered HenryII 1164  and my first Roman 330 ad

Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »

HI ALL.
hears the story of the gold celtic stater...written by sir (tafflaff).
when i saw the stater in the hole.i thought i was dreaming and thats the reason why i done a few laps around the field.i had to reasure myself i was awake.lol.its funny in one respect can still picture it in the hole today..when i think of it..

this is tafflaffs story when we got home..for the members who wernt around at the time.a day ill never forget.lol.

Author Topic: Roman Ray had a very good day!  (Read 542 times) 

Tafflaff (5Rob5)
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

DFX and ETRAC user. Member- R.A.R.E and D.W. 55

Roman Ray had a very good day!
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:08:30 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roman Ray , Ian Gadget and myself decided to brave the elements today and do a spot of detecting. We started out at first light
in the driving rain , a little dispondant but neverless looking forward to getting out. Besides Rays Enthusiasm made up for our grimacing at the rain.
I normally like to keep the best to last but today It was pretty much impossible, I started immediately with a couple of pre decimal
coins of around 1930's Ian came up with another pre dec at the same time. It was at this time Ray dug his first hole of the day, not 2 mins into the hunt,
I realised that something was up when Ray , like Zebedee of the famed Magic Roundabout started pogo-ing across the field.
When Ian managed to calm him down enough Ray uttered the amazing and amusing word plemanaragahamanahamana. Which turned out to be ancient Porth dialect for

I've found a bloody Gold Stater!

I ran across to where Ray was shaking,  and there nestled in Rays hand glistening in the cold winters rain, sparkling like only Gold Staters can do
was a stunning whole and perfectly formed Dobunni Stater of the Tribal leader CATTI. What a coin!

It set the day for us didnt really matter how much it rained after that, Ray had a Grin like a Cheshire cat, It was a pleasure to
see and could not have been found by a more deserving person.

Good things happen to good people like Neil said after Rays good deed earlier this week its Karma. Ray asked me to post this up for him, I think he's still shaking too much 

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:43:34 PM »

Thats a cracking Roman Pipster!

I love finding them more than the hammereds.

Thanks for sharing them with us

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:52:41 PM »

my first denari, many years ago, was that of NERVA 94 to 96ad.

researching this emperor led to many intersting facts .. he came to power at the age 64 and died 2 years later of natural causes. The coin was minted in the 2nd yr of his reign.

the coin has been recorded with PAS and has also been recorded with the leading archaeologist of a  local community project.

enjoy

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »

Definately my 12th Centur Silver Finger ring and my Lizzy Shilling.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Stred (Steve)

Explorer XS

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 06:34:06 AM »

Is that the Templer ring shown in the magazine Taff Huh

Beautiful piece, must be proud of that, cracking find, well done mate.

What's happened to it Huh

Just enjoy, life\\\'s too short.
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 06:37:05 AM »

yes thats the one stred lovely isnt it butty.

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 08:34:09 AM »

Its still going through the treasure process. As it happens the coroners inquest is Friday , I'm supposed to be going but I've had a huge flare up of Athritis thats affecting my neck and balance, so unless my wife will drive me there I may not be able to attend.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
StumbledUpon

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »

This is not a detecting find, but It's the first gold coin I found, Found it in my garden, and its what started me off detecting, and is my favourite find. also some hammered Ive found over the 4 years in the hobby. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal