Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardiff SCAN Rally today 6th June - found GOLD after a 2 year drought!  (Read 9447 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: June 06, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »

I attended the Cardiff SCAN Rally this morning in Chepstow with a heavy head following an evening of eating Morrocan food and drinking Turkish Raki! Oh my head hurt and it was wise not to stand down wind of me!

Anyway I started off with a few buttons and a 191O halfpenny and headed down toward the furthest fields to try and improve my luck. On the way along the track I pulled up a tobacco jar lid from the 18th Century and yet more buttons and an Edward copper half penny.

I went into the bottom field that joins the foreshore with views across The River Severn to England. A beautiful setting and after deliberating the safest way down to the mudflats headed down and was pretty soon rewarded with 2 William III coppers of circa 165O-17O2 and a few more modern coins. I;ve never tried detecting the clay before and it was a real pleasure to dig after the sun hardened soil of the pastures. I also managed to find about six Devils Toenail fossil of a few million years old and another fossil - not sure what it is.

Next came a lovely find in the form of an Apothacry Weight used for weighing out medicinal powder. Unfortunately its had a bit of iron contamination laying next to the bronze by the look of it, which I am guessing at late medieval date wise. Part of a broken Georgian buckle and a few other bits of copper were soon followed by a spindal whorl. I left the mud flats vowing to to give the mud flats along the Severn a good going over at another date and headed back to the track I had followed down.

I headed up the track but about 4 foot into the grass this time and got a relatively faint signal. Dug it out and couldn't see it, when suddenly staring at me glowing in the sun in a lump of mud was what looks like the edge of a gold ring. Wooohooo! It was indeed a man's gold wedding band hallmarked for Birmingham and dates to 1917, weighing in at a whopping 9.6 grams! I was over the moon as it has been two years since my last piece of gold and it was well over due.

That was about it for the day - headed home to Rioja in the garden and a lamb dinner - lovely way to spend a Sunday.

Thanks go to Steve King for getting the Rally and the rest of the organisers.

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 04:41:01 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »

And more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »

Gold Ring

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

beachboy (viv)

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »

well done neil,looks as if you had a great day out and a cracking bit of gold to go with it.viv
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »

Well done fella , cracking find - the Goldie. Looks like the foreshore would be well worth a bash fella ,

I'm a little concerned that you went home to someone called Roja though........Something you not telling us fella ? Grin

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 05:21:24 PM »

great report on the day Neil,nice gold ring for sure like the fossils you found to photos as usual are great .well done Neil Wink
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »

HI NEIL.
what a cracking ring .welldone butty.im so happy for you neil.
great find..great stuff my friend.
welldone again neil.
ray.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »

Cheers lads for the comments- I got to admit it got the old heart pumping a bit quicker when I saw it sat there shining in the afternoon sun!

After the William's, Apothacry weight, Spindal whorl and fossils I will definately be heading back to the severn forshaw - well worth a visit and really easy to dig! Just got to keep an eye on the tide and depth of the mud! Roll Eyes

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 06:03:14 PM »

Well done Neil glad you had some luck..... Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »

Great write up Neil,nice photo's too. Well done on your ring (jammy git Wink ) It was a lovely day out but i dont enjoy digging concrete (i'm told the fields were in fact pasture but i recon it was concrete painted green ShockedSmiley
Stunning views and the weather treated us well, i found a few odds and bobs, Talking of Bob's, RJM found another hammered!, Well done mate.

Salty Smiley

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 06:32:04 PM »

Well done Neil and C scan !

That ring looks like a wopper ;0)
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »

Some nice finds  Shocked there Neil Wink good days work I must have a gold allergy  Huh not lucky in that department myself Roll Eyes

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
waltonbasinman
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »

Wow Neil that ring is gorgeous. Well done fella. Some interesting finds you made today, But the ground must have been unforgiving. The foreshore looks well dry as well so well done on your day mate.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »

Lovely finds and a great report Neil, but if I may give a word of advice........Rioja with lamb? in summer?no..no...no...Please Neil. A nice chilled Guyinachair New Zealand rose. Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal