Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground Hard Out There  (Read 3201 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: June 05, 2010, 05:43:38 PM »

spoke to Farmer PHIL & Melonhead earlier today to see how they were getting on detecting and Melonhead said that the ground was solid where they were and i think he broke his shovel as well Undecided,and Phil said it was very hard going in a few fields they had tried.........anyone else had trouble today Huh Huh Wink
reiver
Rally attendee

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:50:34 PM »

It's the same story up here in Scotland Kev.Was out this morning.Gave up after two hours,ground like concrete and suffering from heat stroke.It was all pasture,going to have a look for some ploughed. Cool
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »

yes Reiver the lads struggled out there today,thanks for letting us know what it is like up there in the far north Wink
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:03:51 PM »

Too right its hard, yesterday some of the fields were inpenetrable. Not only that , we noticed that where we had been detecting previously even though we had cut the clodges very carefully and stamped down firmly, the cattle had torn the clodges right off. We did what we could to replace the clodges but they were long dead.

I'm afraid its very bad news pasture detecting at the moment and its up to the detectorists to put the farmer first and ask themselves, should we really be digging in this weather ?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »

with the recent hot weather and the crop season now fully upon us it is very hard to get some plough land and the pasture is solid,i stopped tectin over a week ago cause the ground being so hard and the targets unresponsive,,,diging holes in pasture does make a mess how ever carefull we are and the way i see it if my farms have loads of arable fields which i can get on once the crops are clear, i woudent want to annoy the farmers at the start of tectin season beacuse of the mess i made when the ground was hard and pasture was the only land available.   

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
waltonbasinman
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:47:27 AM »

I went out on Friday and returned after an hour the ground was like concrete. It was pasture but the grass looked very sorry for its self. A few days of steady rain is much needed for us all I think as the landowner said. Some is forecast but not the amount to help us I think.
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:00:07 AM »

we need some substantial rain to soak into the ground, not a sudden down pour thats will run off surface.

Cattle hooking out clods is a problem for all detectorists, one should check what is going to graze fields.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:34:54 AM »

yes this is the trouble this time of year for the next month or so,   the clods drying out and the cattle pulling them out,  it don't look good,
 i often curtail my detecting this time of year  when =its so dry  because the clods can't knit back properly,
 and of coares there is the hard ground,  this makes it even harder to do a tidy job of your holes,   we haven't been to the  susspected Bronze age site for a couple of weeks either,   it was very shallow and dry and the dogs were pulling them out while we were there even

waltonbasinman
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 08:19:37 AM »

Well just went over to Presteigne for a look as the farmer had cut five or six silage fields. Had a signal and made a right mess digging out a Viccy penny. Thank god it,s five minutes from home as I think John the landowner would not be impressed if I dug any more holes like that. Some of the cracks in the ground are like canyons. Will wait for some rain before I try again as that's Upland pasture and riverside arable that I have tried in three days and they are both like concrete. I would rather respect the land is someone else's rather than fill my need to detect.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 07:26:30 AM »

i agree with you Paul,
 there is also the risk of loosing your farms because of the inconsideration and mess too.

Stred (Steve)

Explorer XS

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:13:59 PM »

The Gods are on your side Paul.

Rain in and more to follow.

Just enjoy, life\\\'s too short.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:26:46 PM »

Yes, some serious rain outside at the MO. Now just keep going til tomorrow evening and I should OK for Wednesday.  Grin
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 06:41:35 PM »

more rain forecast for our part of the world tomorow paul,,,which is ace as some farmer boys are cutting silage of a big field today that  ive had my eye on for ages  Grin Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
mark barrett

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »

dont go out to much in summer, ground way too  hard around here at moment, Missing it though,

swing low, aim high

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal