Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: World Cup - Medieval England badge!  (Read 2160 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: June 16, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »

Courtesy of BBC online 16 June 2010

The copper three lions badge was found in a medieval wall An archaeologist who found a medieval badge featuring the England football team's three lions logo hopes it will prove a good World Cup omen. The copper piece was found in the ground last week in a stone wall in Coventry by Caroline Rann.

The badge, thought to be from a horse's harness, is believed to date from the 13th Century. A Football Association spokesman said its resemblance to the England logo was "uncanny".

Ms Rann found the badge as she investigated a medieval stone wall in Parkside. She said it had become lodged between sandstone blocks and it may have fallen in while the wall was being built.

"This has been hidden for hundreds of years and for it to appear now has to be a sign that England will go all the way in the World Cup," she said.

"It is very pretty and you can see clearly the three lions on it," she said.

'Good luck charm'

Nicholas Palmer, principal field archaeologist at the Warwickshire Museum, said the one inch-high badge was still being assessed and catalogued but was not thought to be valuable.

A spokesman for the Football Association said: "Congratulations to Caroline for her discovery and let's hope it does serve as a good luck charm for the team in South Africa."

The three lions are the emblem of England and feature prominently on the national football team's shirts.

Comedians Frank Skinner and David Baddiel sang about the world-famous logo in their 1996 hit Three Lions.

William the Conqueror used two lions on a red background as his coat of arms and brought the symbol to the English throne.

Henry II first used three lions on a red background, adding a lion to William the Conqueror's two when he married Eleanor of Aquitaine, probably to represent his marriage into that family.

England's next match in the World Cup is against Algeria on Friday evening.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »

Nice post Neil. I was going to say that Henry II was the first to use the three lions as many people assume it was Richard the 1st ( lionheart ) who used the three lions in his Heraldry and is part and parcel of nearly every image you see of him.
ITALIA

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:48:58 PM by Waltonbasinman (Paul) » Logged
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »

thats very unusual i must say good info that Neil Wink
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:12:06 PM »

what a cracking find  Wink

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"