Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: License Metal Detectors - Tony Robinson  (Read 10339 times)
waltonbasinman
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 10:46:07 PM »

Though he comes across as uneducated in his delivery style. Mr Robinson does have qualifications in History and Archaeology.  To a degree standard i believe.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but was just trawling through old posts for something to read and came across it. I would just like to put the record straight that Tony Robinson has no educational qualifications or training in either archaeology or history, what he does have is 5 "Honorary" degrees for services to archaeology.
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 05:47:02 AM »

One thinks we all are treading on very thin ice ! It isnt a good idea to pick a fight with the time team who have the media on their side. It would be far more beneficial as said earlier by I think Neil, to get time team thinking on our wave lengths.

Responsible detecting  Roll Eyes Everybody on here is aware that recently I have built a new detecting club, what amazed me in setting it up was the number of very long term detectorists who were not FID / NCMD and probably unless I had insisted that our members are in FID or NCMD would still be out of it Shocked

I may get shot down but I cannot see a problem with some degree of a license, unless we as a group get our own act together, we are in great danger that someone else will delegate from a higher authority more restrictive regulation.
(most of us carry fid/ncmd cards all the time,and if you dont you should !!)

As the numbers of metal detectorists grow, we are fools if we try to resist some degree of regulation. Its because of the actions of the few out of the loop, who will instigate tougher controls on the majority, like the recent gun laws.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:55:09 AM by outlaw » Logged
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »

As stated, metal detectorists only normally detect "inches" down, whereas TimeTeam's JCB always rips the top 12 " off in one go. Most of the top 0" to 24" has already been ploughed so nothing is in context archaeologically.

In the past 30 years most of the big finds have come via metal detectorists which I can understand has put the archaeologists 'nose out of joint' so to speak.

Personally I think Tony Robinson is a berk. I'm not that impressed with Professor Mick Aston who, to me, seems  a bit clueless, bumbling idiot, on many topics. I do wonder how he obtained his position. Most of the informed facts come from the landscape archaeologist (Stuart Ainsworth), Geophysist (John Gater), and Phil Harding (an archaeologist who actually does some digging!!).

I know a few people who have had nothing but trouble and stress after declaring their finds which were processed under The Treasure Act. Sometimes, years later, they have had to fight to try and get near the market value of their finds.

If metal detectors were banned a few years ago then the extraordinary finds that have come to light in the last couple of years would not be known!!!!!!!!!! How much worst off would be? Common sense would say, how can you ban something that has been responsible for finds of amazing National importance?...............and just think of the finds to come because we are allowed to enjoy our hobby.

No system is perfect but it is a sytem that is working quite well: We don't need the likes of Robinson using his public persona to try and get his way because he thinks he's right. He has no qualifications and should not be allowed to voice his opinions as such.

cronge (richard)

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »

could,nt agree with you more bob, after watching all the posing and primping outside my place in portskewett,harolds house, 50 yards away,and watching victor put the finishing touches to his drawings before a spade was put in the ground,it makes you wonder who are they trying to fool,still i suppose it makes good tv,a friend of mine owns ground with a medievil village on it,his fathers,father owned that ground and so on,but they caught two dayhawkers on there some years ago,someone seen them and the police were called plus cadw,and my friend had to drop what he was doing and get straight there,he was asked why he let them on there,he said he did,nt know them and never set eyes on them before,it turned out they had permission from the the next farm over
and had wandered over there thinking it belonged to the farmer they had permission from,they were let go with a warning,cadw then noticed that my friend had fenced off a piece of his OWN field to make a cattle pen and was given a bollocking for driving stakes into the ground and thus possibly destroying historic evidence,and was asked to take them down,that was some years ago,but they have known of this village for years and years,and nothing has been done about it,they would rather let it rot in the ground,sorry for the rant but thats how i feel about the subject
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 08:15:44 PM »

I really dont think a license would solve any problems. What I mean by that is if i found jesus christs toe nail clippers would a license then force me to report it ? nope !   It still at the end of day comes down to the individual making the find. Does a license stop some anglers taking home under size fish ? nope !

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 08:33:32 PM »

mr robinson states that there will be no metal objects in the ground in 20 years due to metal detecting  Huh all i an say is there will be a rise in golfing and fishing in 20 years then. Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 08:57:56 PM »

ha ha ha ,, any way possible with them hey, if you can't get us one way then try other ways lol

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal