Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vitallius  (Read 2272 times)
vitallius (Dave)

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

« on: March 09, 2009, 04:04:45 PM »

Hi as a new member I thought it would be nice to give you a little story, as you have all seen by now I have called myself Vitallius, the actual spelling is VITELLIUS, emperor 69AD.Im sure most of you would know this
Anyway the story is hopefully without boring you to death goes back to around 1986 whilst living in Caerwent Village I used to work at the American ammo depot, I had just met up with my mate Harry and both of us had started metal detecting, excuse the spelling but Caerwent is I believe, known as VENTRA SELARIUM and was the old Roman market town and I lived just accross the road from the wall that encompassed a farm.
The old boy who was the tennant a little eccentric but a good ol boy grazed his sheep on MOD land ,how both myself and Harry kept saying to each other wouldnt it be great if we could get permission to get inside the wall but we never had the courage to ask, also his wife was a member of the welsh museum.......I used to have a few pints in the local pub and speak to some of the students who were doing a dig in the local area and were finding some interesting artefacts.

Anyway a couple years later the old boy approached myself and Harry, and said as he had seen us out detecting on occaissions,  look boys my wife has lost her ring somewhere in the front of the farm garden she is going away could you come look for it, and in return you can have a go on the field inside the wall but it will be a one off... bloody hell great we said. On our next day off work we met up with the old boy who showed us the rough area the ring was believed to be lost,but we couldnt find it and told him that we had not had any luck finding it, true to his word he opened the gate to the field inside the wall, off you go he said dont want to know what you find,well within miniutes we were turning up Bronze roman left right and centre excellent condition as soil had never been chemically abused. Towards the end of the day having found numerous coins we went and sat infront of the farm on some mossed up  old roman rubble and had a quick bite to eat, the old boy said thanks and said you will have to be off soon as he had to go, we started collect our kit, as I bent down to pick up my empty crisp packet and drink bottle I went to pick up what I thought to be a silver gum wrapper glinting in the moss......yep you got it, having picked it up and felt the weight it turned out to be a silver roman coin EMPEROR VITELLIUS,with DOLPHIN &ORB wonderfull condtion hence my name. However to this day I have never since found a silver Roman coin..................
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 04:33:13 PM »

that is a cracking story vitallius m8 i remember caerwent mod because i work for bae systems glascoed which use to be R.O.F. glascoed under the m.o.d. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:22:03 PM by casa-dos (kev) » Logged
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:33:32 PM »

Nice story and i hope it is an omen for our hunting on saturday.  Smiley Just hope we don,t find all the ammo though.
vitallius (Dave)

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »

yep remember the ROF Glas have been there many years ago,also at one time there used to be a ROF at CARDIFF not sure if its still there it wasnt a big site if I remember correctly.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:16:38 PM »

no the cardiff one as long gone  vitallius  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal